About how much would an Akita cost from a breeder?

edited 26 January, 2015 in Akita
I saw one at the dog park that had the typical color of a Shiba Inu. It was a beautiful dog. I would like a little more self protection than my 45 lb BC gives me. Will I need to take an Akita to a pro trainer? My BC is smart and I can get him to do anything I want. Not so with other dogs I have had.

Comments

• Laura MacDonaldLaura MacDonald Nottingham, stapleford
    edited 26 January, 2015
    the akita breed has two different types these American akita which are bigger and 'stockier' which as the Japanese akita is slight smaller and leaner is more expensive, I currently own two American akita's one which I rescued from a pup then one at the age of 2 they're amazing breeds but come with a big price here in the UK for a pure bred American prices vary from £800-£1200 where as the Japanese akita start from £1000. I recommend before having either breed you do hours of research about them as they are not like any other breed dog! I highly recommend taking them to training lessons and socialize them from a very young age as they have a tendcy not to get on with other dogs especially dogs of the same sex theres so much to learn about the breed! its not a breed id suggest to someone who has never owned a large powerful breed dog 1 hope all goes well