Are there any mods left on this website?

Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, AL
edited 13 April, 2015 in Raw Food Diet
Any at all to contact? Or a contact form for the forum itself or SOMETHING? Seriously, I know this is the wrong place for this, but its getting out of hand. A couple of years ago a dozen washed posts in such a short amount of time would get your account under review... now people can come in, break all the forum rules they please, and at BEST we can get the posts auto-washed... but nothings being DONE about it and its getting real old, real fast. Dogster, if you're even still listening, things like this are exactly why people left the site in droves.

Comments

• edited 4 March, 2015
    I've not been here very long, but I've really enjoyed meeting people on here. I love having a place to talk about my dogs and get help as needed and also help others where I can. But something needs to be done to bring people back in. The posts don't move. People don't respond very quickly because the few people that are here can't be on 24/7. Need some good admins to make that happen. People are still looking for a place to talk about their pups. Bring Dogster to what it could be!
  • edited 5 March, 2015
    This group keeps everyone up to date on the upcoming changes Mulder - Here and you can also contact Lori directly from that group, or via her page Here Hope that helps.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, AL
    edited 5 March, 2015
    I just don't even know where to begin anymore. Its great they have this group, and its great they keeping saying things are going to get better, but boy is it hard to see that in the short-term. I mean dang, is this the only mod on the site anymore? Are they so desperate to retain membership that they're willing to let rampant repeat offenders continue on without penalty? HOW many posts were bathed on the raw boards alone by the SAME two people now, yet nothing has been done about this? I recall repeat offences actually getting you in trouble "back in the day", why should we continue to have to suffer this. Remember a day where stuff like "raw kills" wasn't actually allowed on a forum that has a dedicated raw board????
  • Eloise SenyanEloise Senyan Mount Olive ✭✭
    edited 5 March, 2015
    There are only 2 Catster moderators patrolling both the Dogster/Catster forums. If you need to contact a moderator, please pmail me. My good Catster friend and moderator, Ben, does not have any dogs in his family so if he posts on Dogster he shows up as a Guest. The Catster mods have been the only moderators here for over a year now and we have no inside info regarding what's happening. All we can do is flag a post. That takes the offending post off and puts up the "bath" post in the forum. I can remove the offending and bath post by unpublishing it but sometimes the "bath" post needs to stay up for the Dogster admins to check out the offending member (or guest). I've been on Dogster even before there were forums. It's so frustrating to see them deteriorate and we, as moderators, can't do anything to make it right again. This past summer Ben and I spent hours and hours trying to flag the spam, most of the time new spam popped up as quickly as we removed another one. Finally that has stopped but with the time and date on the posts not working it's hard to know what's new and what's an old post popping back up. Like I said, we don't know anything more than you do, but if you need to contact a moderator, pmail me, anytime.
  • edited 6 March, 2015
    I totally agree, we get tired of flagging post and them getting away it, which is why we don't come here very often anymore. Please ban them like they were before and not let them back in.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan Markham
    edited 9 March, 2015
    You know what people? If you wanna kill your dogs, that's your problem. You all think you have pet wolves. If you think raw is so wonderful and it's closer to what dogs eat in the wild, then why don't you go outside and kill a squirrel and eat it, because that's what our ancestors ate. See if it makes you sick. Next time another person comes on here crying that their dog has the runs, I'm just gonna say I told you so. I have not met one single vet or tech that's in support of raw. Every one of them that I talk to is very much against it. Other dogster/catster friends that I talk to on a regular basis have also told me that their vets would strongly advise against raw as well. Jasper's mom is a lisenced vet tech and has been in the field for a long time. She knows what she's talking about and I trust her with my life. If you people don't wanna listen to somebody who has studied this professionally, then that's your problem. I am done trying to figure out why raw is better. If you think you can convince me or Jasper that we're killing our pets, then you've got another thing coming. Go ahead, flounder me all you want. I'm way past the point of giving a crap. I will continue to fight for what I believe in. To be honest, I don't think we should even have a raw forum anymore if you ask me. I think this afternoon I'm gonna go out and look for a job with Hills SD just to piss all you raw people off. :)) :D :h: :))! :c9 :q:n:
  • C- D-C- D- White Pine, TN
    edited 6 March, 2015
    Yikes...
  • edited 12 March, 2015
    I used to walk outside my house and kill a couple dozen squirrels for dinner actually. Good eating but takes quite a few to feed a crew. Dogs ate "leftovers", ie. Guts, heads and even enjoyed the hides. All we ever did was check for warbles, which nobody ate those. Same with deer, rabbit, fish, ect we killed. A vet tech is hardly a qualification for knowledge. Many states in the US don't even require them to go to school to become one. I know MANY techs who have NO degree for their jobs. Some started at 16 years old. I have had VETS, not "vet techs", who advised raw diets. Kibble has killed far more dogs than raw ever has. Check out Consumer Affairs and see what folks have to say about their dogs getting sick and dying because of Science Diet.
  • edited 6 March, 2015
    Actually, when my dog got a urinary blockage (on bloody kibble) my vet did NOT advise Science Diet as a prescription diet. She said it wasn't nearly as good as Royal Canin or Purina. :)) I put her on homemade food (vet even gave me a recipe!) with a couple raw bones for calcium/dental health and no more urinary problems. %:D%
  • edited 12 March, 2015
    I think the problem may be that some vet assistants call them selves techs. A vet tech has to go to school and pass a national exam and do continuing education hours every year to keep their license. Just like some vet schools some vet tech schools are sponsored by hills. I work for a holistic vet who only uses prescription diets as a last resort and prefers raw or a premium kibble. Not all vets are created equal and its the same with techs. I see pets every day who have had the same problem for years and the vet I work for can fix them in 1 visit. I think this forum can be used for advice but not in place of having your pet seen by a vet. Or even seen by multiple vets to get other opinions.
  • edited 12 March, 2015
    I am always suspicious of anyone who has to post their "credentials" when using a forum. Seems like a bit of bragging to cover a basic insecurity to me. I have quite a number of certifications in dog stuff... I do NOT feel it adds anything at all to my posts to list them all. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if someone is posting good advice or is repeating what they read somewhere. Anyone can read and memorize things, a true professional lets their responses speak of their knowledge, not their titles.
    edited 12 March, 2015
    No kidding Toto... guess the forums are like pedigrees now? More letters before/after means more attention?? :))
  • Jeanne BradyJeanne Brady Marquette, MI / Chicago admin
    edited 7 March, 2015
    Hiya, everypup! :-h I'm the other moderator that Amber mentioned. I've been a moderator on Catster for 8 1/2 years but only over the past year or so been involved on the Dogster side. Amber and I have been trying to keep Dogster free of spam and posts that are blatantly against the Spirit of Dogster, but we've been hesitant to get too deep into moderating on Dogster because there are some cultural differences between the two sites and we didn't want to overstep. We definitely appreciate any help you can offer, so feel free to bring any inappropriate behavior to our attention and we'll do what we can and notify HQ when necessary. If you want to reach me, you can pmail me through Ben's Catster page at: http://www.catster.com/cats/200703|^| Thanks for your help and understanding! |:|
    edited 7 March, 2015
    I hope you guys are able to see the post that was bathed from this thread. I mean... what more honestly need be said.
  • edited 8 March, 2015
    We wish we could of read the post before it got a bath must a been pretty bad cause the next post says yikes. Hope they get banned for it .
  • DeaDea NH ✭✭✭
    edited 8 March, 2015
    The sad thing is, the "Newbies" take their advice as legitimate information. The person, I'm thinking of, who copies and pastes info, refutes good information from people who know what their talking about. If knowledgeable people are not posting here regularly, then the "newbies" have no choice but to take the advice of "these" people who are posting, because they don't know any better. They come here looking for good advice, I think they deserve to get it. What ever Happened to the (I think it was called) "Dogster Kennel"? Kind of like Doggie jail for not following the rules? I'm with you Mulder. I hope they fix it soon. I did see a blurb somewhere on here that in the Spring, big changes are coming. I hope it's for the better and not more of the same. Dogster used to be one of the best, if not the best forum out there. It would be great if we could get it back. I really really miss the forum discussions by some of the people who left. There are a few still here, but the majority are gone. It's sad. I hope they come back.
    edited 8 March, 2015
    Me too Kali. Dogster is (or at least was) without a doubt one of the best online communities I've ever come across. I can't even begin to express how grateful I am to this community... I owe it a LOT, as many of the things I've come to learn and care about the most are directly linked to this forum. I wouldn't know half of what I do now about raw feeding if it wasn't for this forum. I probably never would have been involved in rescue/transport had I not been involved with this site. And when I was hurting the worst after a tragedy with one of my own fosters, and I didn't know where to turn or who to talk to, it was two Dogster members who arguably helped me the most... are still helping me now. This site was great. I want others to have the opportunities to have great experiences like that again :(
  • DeaDea NH ✭✭✭
    edited 9 March, 2015
    The power at be should read the threads on this site. They are looking for feed back. It all right here.
  • edited 9 March, 2015
    We were coming here long before we joined the forum just for the info on the raw diet thread. Just pawsome stuff. There are a few topics about raw diets that should be made into sticky's so the new raw feeders have access to them right away. We never answer a post if we can't figure how to word it . We really don't want any new pup getting hurt because they got wrong info from someone. We have learned a lot from the group that was here long ago. Mulder you are right this was the best place for information and we still learn more about raw everyday. We have been on raw for a very long time and we want people getting the right info. There is always more info to be learned.
  • Carissa MaleckiCarissa Malecki Buffalo / Baltimore
    edited 10 March, 2015
    It's definitely not what it was 8 or 9 years ago. Pretty sad!
  • edited 10 March, 2015
    I just wish some of the oldies would come back. I'm not sure Dogster will ever fully recover from the huge knock it's taken. We can only wait and see what the improvements are and hope for the best.
  • edited 10 March, 2015
    It's good so see some of the old regulars are still at least checking in! I check in at least once a day but usually don't have much to say. Dogster members saved my dog. Sarah had been having health issues and I'd already taken her into the vet, we didn't know what was going on. I came on here and found out that her food had been recalled that day. Took her in the next day to have her levels check, and sure enough, it was the dog food causing all of it. My vet didn't know about the recall yet, but dogsters did!
    edited 10 March, 2015
    We've always had a very savvy group here. Not just those who necessarily knew a lot about dogs, but just generally a very clever, resourceful group of people. Or, at the very least, a group of people who were genuine, even if they didn't see eye to eye with everyone...
  • DeaDea NH ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March, 2015
    Sarah, I wish I had come here sooner. We lost our Golden to the massive do food recall. We found out too late. :((
  • DeaDea NH ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March, 2015
    Definitely a unique group...........It's nice to see some of you are still luring behind the scenes. :)
  • edited 10 March, 2015
    Oh Kali, I'm sorry. :( I am not the best writer, I don't have the patience for it, but I do love to read the posts and occasionally throw in my two cents. Everything just got to the point where it was the same questions over and over, or things posted just to stir people up, or endless amounts of spam, so I kind of quit... :/ I am at least glad to see there are other lurkers!
  • Christine VChristine V New England
    edited 12 March, 2015
    I'm so happy to see that MOST people are smart enough not to be snowed by someone spewing nonsense and credentials. It does get overwhelming when that's the only thing presented. I'm ecstatic to see these posters have apparently been blocked?! ;P I do still lurk, but more often than not there is a problem with the website that stops me from getting in. It doesn't load correctly, doesn't load at all, the stupid Iams ad blocks the entire screen and stops loading before the X shows up. Stupid stuff.
    edited 12 March, 2015
    Yes, the broken Iams ad has been a big issue with me. Sometimes just refreshing a few times works, others I have to type in the url to the board I want to go to (/Raw_Food_Diet, etc) to bypass it. Also, fingers crossed being "kenneled" make a triumphant return to dogster :-/
  • DeaDea NH ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March, 2015
    Ember, in my opinion at least one more needs to be blocked. :-#
  • DeaDea NH ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March, 2015
    I was having major problems with this site too. I emailed HQ and they gave me some pointers. I just can't remember what the told me to do. Maybe you guys could do that too. Sometimes, I still can't get on right away. I just log off and log back on. Hope that helps.