Raw Feeding Dog with Liver Failure

Lucy Morton-SmithLucy Morton-Smith Posts: 80Member
edited 12 September, 2015 in Raw Food Diet
Hi, My dog has just been diagnosed with liver failure. He is currently on kibble but I wanted to switch him back to raw after we move and have the freezer space, as he was healthiest on the raw diet. Are there any recommendations for feeding raw to dogs with liver failure? Foods to avoid?Foods that will help? Any advice appreciated. Thanks xx

Comments

• Kathy YataKathy Yata Posts: 10,342Member
    edited 12 September, 2015
    It depends on the type of failure I believe. There is a 'liver diet' developed by Jean Dodds and balanced by Monica Segal you can find on the web that mostly attempts to reduce ammonia by feeding white fish but whether that is appropriate for any sort of liver issue I don't know. Dogaware has a page on liver issues, you might read that to see if you find any insight from that page and its references. Sassy had one wonky liver enzyme or another for years, that page gave me a lot of comfort as a single enzyme out of range doesn't mean liver failure although it can mean something is wrong. There was! She had kidney issues and degenerative myelopathy, better having 2 serious issues than 3 tp worry about!