Do alaskan malamutes go better in pairs?

I have a 4month old malamute.. was considering getting another is this a good or bad idea?

Best Answers

• stef andstef and Lemesos
    Accepted Answer
    It depends.If you are away many hours and Holly is all alone maybe yes.If you want another one because you like the breed,yes. In general,dogs must preffer their owner's company more than a dog's company.If you get another one puppy right now the most possible thing is that Holly will preffer to spend time with the new puppy than with you. Also,can you handle two puppies at the same time?Training is needed but what about training two puppies at the same time? My advice is to wait until Holly will turn one year old or a bit more.Things will be easier then. (congrats on Holly-she is a doll!)
  • Accepted Answer
    NO and Yes they are VERY playful your best bet would be to get an OLDER Female that isn't dominate
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / Alaska
    Accepted Answer
    Depends on whether you can handle it or not. Do you have a male or female? If you have a male, get a female. If you have a female, you really could go either way. Since you are already familiar with the breed, you know how much exercise they need. As long as you are up to doing it for two dogs, why not?
  • Accepted Answer
    Hi. I'm Tok and my mommy got my sister, Niera, n me together. She only had to potty train once and gets double the love. We play together when mommy has to work or make yummy dinner. I love my best friend, Niera. Some suggest getting malamutes separately once one is more mature, but mommy says she thinks adopting in pairs is the best way for bonding with each other.