I live in Arizona and I am very interested in getting a French Bulldog puppy. I understand that Fren

Best Answers

• Barbara SchneiderBarbara Schneider Posts: 212Member
    Accepted Answer
    The heat is difficult for most dogs to handle. There are products on the market like water filled cooling beds and vests than really help when u have to be in the heat. Check into these things. Some vests use the evaporation method while others use a special gel type pack. U don't want to use a regular gel freezer pack as this can get too cold. Try explaining how your dog got frostbite in the middle of an Arizona summer. Of course air-conditioning is a dogs best friend.lol
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    You were told correctly. All brachycephalic type dogs (dogs with pushed in faces) have a hard time with hot climates and should NEVER be outside in the heat. These breeds not only include French Bulldogs, but English bulldogs, Boxers, Pugs, Pekingese, Boston Terrier, Brussels Griffon. Keep doing your homework on the breed is you have your heart set on one. Accept that no matter what, it's an indoor dog and needs Air-conditioning.
  • Sheena HendersonSheena Henderson Posts: 1,181Member
    Accepted Answer
    True, generally they don't do well with the heat. However, my pug was from desert land and she prefers the warmth over the cold! I guess I just lucked out that she doesn't get overheated too easily. I wouldn't let Arizona stop you from getting the dog you want. Just make sure to give her plenty of areas to cool down if she needs too. Another thing, if you get one with white fur it will be more susceptible to sunburn. You can certainly apply a sunscreen (I like PETfection Sunscreen because it's 100% Organic and made for dogs -- No chemicals!). Just something else to think about as I know the sun shines bright in AZ. Hope this helps! :)
  • Maggie UMaggie U Posts: 5Member
    Accepted Answer
    My Frenchie is a little over 2 now and his face is not as "smushed" as many other Frenchies. Although he doesn't have difficulty breathing normally, walking him outside for more than 15 minutes in weather over 80 degrees in humid Virginia, has caused me to have to put him in a luke warm bath because he was over heating. Weather that doesn't feel hot to me really takes a toll on him. If you are planning to have him inside in the AC all day and only take him out for quick walks it should be fine. We lost power for a few days this summer and I had to take him to a kennel that had AC because he was struggling when the temperature inside was over 85 degrees.