Our beagle was shot and killed by a 10 yr old neighbor yesterday.

The child was home alone and said that our beagle got into his chicken pen and was attacking his chickens. He fired a shot at her and missed, Beagle ran across the field and home. The child followed her and 3 feet from my front door shot her twice, she took about 7 steps and fell over at the front door and bled to death. The child walked away from our house back to his. 2 other neighbors were out side, heard the shot and saw the child with the rifle walking back home. 1 of them called us.(we were not home). The sheriff and our animal control both say there is nothing they can do. Im not saying she wasnt in his yard, my problem is an unsupervised 10 yr old boy that feels like he can come into my yard with a rifle and take the law into his hands. His father is a city police office... we live in East Baton Rouge Parish, right outside the Zachary city limits in Louisiana. Is there anything I can do.

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    The protecting your livestock law ONLY covers shooting the dog when it is on YOUR own property, you are not allowed to follow the dog onto its own property and shoot it there, at least that is the way it is here in the Northeastern States. And, there are also laws in most all states which prohibit discharging a firearm, ANY firearm within 500 yards of any residence. I would suspect there is also some sort of age restriction on firing any firearm without a person of legal age present. Since you definitely have witnesses, I would contact a good lawyer and have at it in the courts. Good luck!!!
  • DeaDea NH ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Toto. I would say consult a lawyer. Even though some places have laws that say you can shoot a dog that's harassing livestock, there are laws against discharging a firearm so close to a residence, not to mention, there must be some laws against a minor (esp a 10 year old) discharging a weapon without supervision. That's pretty scary to me. I would definitely consult with a lawyer. Good Luck and I'm sorry this happened.
  • Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.
    Accepted Answer
    Law enforcement protects itself... it will not look good for a cop to have a gun toting elementary schooler at home UNsupervised running around shooting and killing ANYTHING. Call your local newspaper... that's a dynamite story. I am very sorry for your loss. ^_^
  • Raelle MastersRaelle Masters Colorado
    Accepted Answer
    All of the previous answers are very good advice. I am currently a student of criminal justice, so this frustrates me to no end that nothing is being done. Look up the statutes in your area about the animal chasing livestock and what is allowed for the owner of the livestock to do. No matter that the kid's dad is an officer, most states require children to be 12 years of age to be home alone (I also currently work in childcare) so look this up as well as it is very important. If nothing else, that will give you a foothold to start getting justice for this atrocity. I could understand the first shot made from the resident at an animal pestering chickens, even if your beagle did not have an ill intent in mind. However, she returned home, and I bet would have never gone back over there.
  • Accepted Answer
    That is shocking and terribly sad.The child's father is an irresponsible firearm owner who should be charged; it's also child neglect.There was no adult supervision of this child - what would have happened if the dog's owner had a go at the child for shooting the dog? Would the child then have shot the owner as well? That person is right; the dog's owner should go to the newspapers.
  • How awful! I'm so sorry for your loss in such a horrific manner. Not only is the word of a 10 year old child to be questioned, but the fact he was carrying a rifle, and fired it on your property obviously makes this illegal surely? I'd be absolutely horrified living to such neighbours! A 10 year old child using a gun is NOT safe. Does his father know what he did? Could you talk to him?