I have a lab puppy with colors of a rock wilder.Have you ever seen or heard of one?

Best Answers

• Do you mean a Rottweiler? If so, then there is a huge possibility it's a mix with Rottie, Dobie, or even GSD and you may have gotten it from a bad breeder. Many times, breeders get accidental breedings, but don't want to lose money - so they say the pups are purebred. Sometimes even one of the parents looks pure lab, but has just enough of some other breed to carry the color over to the next generation. Like my lab, Cassy, is actually almost 1/2 Shepherd. Her mom was the spitting image of a GSD, but 6 of the pups came out looking just like purebred black labs. (The last one looked a bit like a Rottweiler) There have been /very/ rare cases of labs with black/yellow patches all over like an African Wild Dog)... But that's a genetic problem, there are only a handful of those in the world, so I doubt yours is one of them... I'd advise checking out where you got the pup...if it was from a breeder or pet shop, I would NEVER go there again, and I'd discourage others from going there too.
  • Accepted Answer
    Black and tan OR chocolate and tan markings are not at all unknown in purebred labs. The lab has setters and some hounds in their background and every once in a while these patterns will pop up. It is a show disqualification and, as such should not be bred, and the parents should not be bred together again. There are also cases of brindle and brindle and tan in purebred labs, as well as labs with way, way too much white. These are also genetic throwbacks and, again, should not be bred. As for it happening because of mixed breeding, I have seen ALL of these colors turn up in litters from show Champion parents with no chance of any other breed in the mix. Fortunately, this defect affects only the color, it is no way indicative of any health issues in the affected dog.
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen Granby
    Accepted Answer
    Yep. Mis-marked dogs of all breeds do happen. Check out this website from a breeder. Many photos of mismarked Labs. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

Comments