Old dog - doesn't seem happy

Hello, I have a 16 year old GSD male; Simba. We've had him since he was 12 and he was very active up until he was around 14. Since then, he has developed arthritis, but it has only become bad in the last year. When it first started, my boyfriend would help him into the boot, or up the stairs, etc. Over the last few months, he has gotten much worse and has been unable to even get out of bed frequently, or walk for very long. He poos in the house all the time, as he doesn't know when he needs to go. We can deal with it & keep his walks very short and whilst he enjoys being out, it's clear that he is struggling. It's really hard, because he's usually very happy and will occasionally even try and chase a ball we throw for our younger dog and he always looks happy when we get home. But recently he just looks so down and I don't know if we're doing the right thing for him by keeping him here with us. How do you know when it's the right time to have him put down? Please help. Thank you, Amy