Sudden and unexplained aggression

My husband and I just adopted two new pups. They can be the sweetest and yet have SERIOUS issues. The little boy, Wesley, is very loving though can be aggressive. He is VERY protective of me though has also shown aggression towards me as well. For the most part he is aggressive towards males especially my husband. Wesley loves to lie near me. If my husband is in the room they will play together though if he suddenly walks into the room, Wesley will growl at him and try to attack. Yesterday he bit him and drew blood. Wesley came from a puppy mill/hoarding situation. He has received very little training. We play with him a lot and he gets a lot of exercise. I am at a loss at what to do about him. He also has abandonment issues. He cannot stand it if I leave the room. Neither dog can handle being left alone. They cry when we put them in the kennel. We have taken them in the car, and the same thing happens. Please help. TIA

Comments

  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc Bangor ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27

    Sandy aka Thumper
    As far as the abandonment problem. It could be the crate. If he came from a puppy mill he may associate the crate with his previous home. Is there any way you can block off a room for him to stay in when you have to leave. As far as your husband... let him be the food giver. If the pup associates your husband with Dinner time, he will probably be more likely to bond with him. Just some thoughts

    No Longer Lost BOL

    ....................
    Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    .
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

    ...................
    Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    .
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

  • I would get a force-free trainer in to assess your puppies as soon as possible and give you recommendations. I have a dog with aggression issues that had lived on the streets. I work with a trainer every couple of years. It's a process. He's a love bug though and I adore him.

  • Hi @wendyf16! We suggest getting a professional behaviorist to assess them and help! Please keep us posted on how it's going. <3

  • @Sandy_Kramer_etc said:
    Sandy aka Thumper
    As far as the abandonment problem. It could be the crate. If he came from a puppy mill he may associate the crate with his previous home. Is there any way you can block off a room for him to stay in when you have to leave. As far as your husband... let him be the food giver. If the pup associates your husband with Dinner time, he will probably be more likely to bond with him. Just some thoughts

    Thanks so much for the advice. I tried blocking off a room, though he scratches at the door. I am afraid he is going to do some damage and we cannot afford to loose our deposit. We will try the food trick and see if that helps.

  • @DogsterAdmin said:
    Hi @wendyf16! We suggest getting a professional behaviorist to assess them and help! Please keep us posted on how it's going. <3

    Thanks we have talked about doing this. We are moving in a few weeks and waiting until that time to find a good one in our area.

  • @tielgirl said:
    I would get a force-free trainer in to assess your puppies as soon as possible and give you recommendations. I have a dog with aggression issues that had lived on the streets. I work with a trainer every couple of years. It's a process. He's a love bug though and I adore him.

    Thanks I appreciate it. Yes, mine is can be a love bug too. I just want him to be that way ALL the time. We are considering a trainer though not until we move and can find one in our new area.

  • A trainer is a good idea :)
  • Hi Wendy, I appreciate your problem. There are things you can do now to improve your dog's behaviour. Number one, do not feel sorry for your dogs, they will pick up on it and understand it as a weakness on your part. Number two, make sure your dog is fed at regular times every day, not just food dumped into a dish so he can free feed. The dog sees the person as giving the food as the source of the food. If the food is just sitting there on the floor, you have just lost a great bonding tool. Do not allow your dog to use your furniture like your bed and couches etc. Make sure your dog gets a chance to run to burn off energy every single day. Never touch or speak softly to an insecure or afraid dog, it's a reward for that behaviour. Behave towards your dog like there is nothing to be afraid of and he will eventually follow your lead. These are basic common sense ways of handling a dog. First you have to establish that you and your husband are the leaders in the home. That is done in the ways that I just described to start. There is so much else that I could teach you but that would take up pages and pages! So instead I am going to recommend that you check out my website, which has free information on dog training and a ton of other stuff! https://raising-a-good-dog.com Good luck :)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Dogster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Welcome Post and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!