Barking at fence

If someone passes on the sidewalk by my lab & lab/shep mix bark up & down the front fence. Dog trainer told me years ago to not let them out when someone is approaching or passing by so they (the dogs) don't think I expect them to chasefolks away. & I do try to be careful of that so the neighborhood is more enjoyable for all. I also will try to get them to sit by me (reward treats & belly rubs) when I'm in the garden & someone passes by with some success. If they are barking a lot at someone when we are indoors we let them in. They are more house dogs, they only go out for bathroom & select tasks.
Here's my question - Does my dogs barking up & down the fence make them "hostile"?
Someone (new) has started to increasingly stop their dog walk & sitting their dogs on the sidewalk(giving treats) in the past few weeks. The dog owner was very rude this morning & told me they are training their little dogs to ignore hostile dogs. There were also words that I was a bad owner for "allowing" my dogs barking at the fence.
I think the act of sitting their dogs there waiting for me to let mine out to go potty is kinda antagonistic. This actually almost made me late for work cause I didn't want to come home to a mess. I'm curious what other owners think, I don't know what more I should do for my dogs. I'm wondering if i should get something(smell or noise) to chase dogs away along the fence to nip such things in the bud.
I am not aware of a way to stop fence barking & don't see anyone doing anything with their fenced in dogs when we go on walks other then calling their dogs inside.

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc Bangor ✭✭✭✭

Well this is my opinion and might not be shared with others, But, Dogs bark... If it is simple barking and its not at everything that is in sight then I would not worry about it... They are simply alerting you to the fact that someone is near the property. If they are being aggressive then you need to be there when they start and tell them no. Make them understand that growling and snapping is not appropriate behavior. If they are barking at everything in site again you need to teach them No. Large dogs are not only pets they are also protection. Having a dog that shows they will defend your property will deter robbers and other criminal types from entering your property. It the person tells you again that you are a bad owner, tell them these dogs are only protecting me and my property.. and that is their right. To me he is being an idiot. Teaching his small dog to ignore aggressive dogs is setting it up. A truly aggressive dog is not gonna care if the little dog is ignoring him, It will attack anyway.

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• That last part is a very good point. There's no growling or snapping from mine. Just woof, woof type stuff. I've never had truly small dogs yet so I hadn't thought of that point.
    For some reason small dog people always seem to give me grief but I didn't grow up in town so sometimes it feels I'm behind the curve on doggy etiquette. I just want to live in peace & not cause anyone any grief.

• I have been testing my dogs since that early morning confrontation. If I slap my knees or click (like you would to a horse) they will drop everything & come for hugs most of the time. Last night they were barking at a passerby and left to come to me in the back yard. I decided after reading your comment that I'm going to focus on keeping my dogs safe & call it good. If other people are seeking drama by picking on my mutts I'm just going to disengage by going inside with my pack. If the harassing little dog man comes back I'm taking a picture before calling the non-emergency police number for harassment. Dunno if it's a good idea but its what i've come up with upon contemplation and a bit of research.

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc Bangor ✭✭✭✭

That sounds like an excellent plan. Hopefully he won't come back. :)

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page