Is it animal abuse? And if so, what do I do?

Back in early October, I was hospitalized for awhile, and my roommate at the time insisted on watching my dog for me. I was in the hospital longer than expected, so he insisted on grooming, and clipping my dog's nails himself, which he also said that he had never done before. I said, "No. Absolutely not. I will have my sister drop you off money for the groomers.". Well, he went ahead and did it anyway, within an hour after talking to me. My dog has always loved being groomed and never gave any problems, whatsoever. She never had to be restrained, not even for a nail clipping. Well, he shaved Missy with clippers, using a 0, which I don't believe your supposed to do. And he informed me that she would not stay still, and it was hard to shave her. He said that she kept trying to run away from him. He must have been hurting her because she always stays perfectly still for the groomers, and they always comment on how they can't believe how good she is and how much she loves getting groomed. He also informed me that, because her nails got too long, that he purposely cut them all below the quick! I freaked out! (Mind you, I'm lying helpless in a hospital bed as he's telling me all this.) He actually said that, that is what is supposed to be done when they get too long. I told him, no, that's abuse! Well, now, she petrified of getting groomed. I have never had much trouble trimming her nails myself, but now she's traumatized and won't let me clip them at all. She actually shakes, she's so scared. And it's been over 2 months since then. On top of that, he also told me that every night, he, his Chihuahua, and my Missy, would sit on his bed and he would share a chocolate bar with them. He actually said, "That whole chocolate thing with dogs is a myth. My dog's immune to it." Yes, I told him how dumb he is. And I told him to stop giving my dog chocolate. His response, "I don't care what you say, I'm still going to feed your dog chocolate every night". So, now she begs for chocolate, and God forbid if someone left a chocolate bar out and she got to it. It's now my worst fear. She never took a second look at chocolate before, because she never had it. How can I help my baby get over this trauma? And can I take legal action against this monster? He has a Chihuahua himself that weighs 43 pounds. He never walks his poor dog and he still feeds him chocolate every single night. This man should not be allowed to own a dog. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this situation. I feel so bad for my baby girl..

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 107,637Member ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think there is much you can do against the roommate other then to get rid of him as a roommate and never leave him alone with your dog again. As for the trauma you may need to use a sedative for a while when getting her groomed til she gets used to having it done again.
    As for the chocolate. Milk chocolate is not as bad as dark chocolate and larger dogs have less of a reaction then smaller dogs. So I wouldn't freak out too much if your dog didn't have any reaction then, most likely small amounts will not harm her if she managed to steal a piece in the future... But I most certainly would not give her any. If she seems to have a craving for chocolate, you can give them Carob which taste like chocolate but is perfectly safe for dogs

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• MissYassyMissYassy Posts: 3Member
    I moved out of there immediately! Thank you so much for your help. She is craving it, so I'm going to try the carob that you mentioned. I'm worried about her organs, cause it was dark chocolate, every single night for weeks, and she's only 5 pounds. And the fact that I told him "NO!", to feeding her chocolate, shaving her, and clipping her nails, should stand for something. And he told me that he never shaved a dog before, why couldn't he practice on his own dog? Why mine? He was a weirdo, and he liked me, a lot. I feel like he hurt my dog because he was angry that I turned him down. I feel like I should at least be able to sue him for damages. Even though a year in jail is what he really deserves...
  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 107,637Member ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad you moved, And I agree he should get punished for abuse... but not sure if you would find a lawyer who would take the case and even if you did it would probably cost more then you can afford. As for the chocolate if she is not showing any problems, most likely she won't. The bad part about chocolate is the caffeine. Dogs can be sensitive to caffeine which can cause them to have a heart attack.. I don't believe any other organs are effected and once the caffeine is out of their system they should be fine.
    Give her a cuddle from us...

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page