Taking dog to new house??

Hi all!
We are buying a new home and have a boxer pit mix who has lived for several years 22 ish hours a day inside her kennel in my mom's house where my husband and I currently live. She has attacked my mom's Chihuahua before as well as our cats and a dog we used to have. The last time any thing happened was probably two years ago. She is 10-11 and is spayed, if that is relevant. My question is, we are buying this house and moving next month and have two older children (7-8) and a nine month old baby. I originally planned to take the dog with us upon moving, to let her live out in the house normally. I would not even take the crate of it I did it would be only for nighttime and when we leave the house. Well I posted on another forum and people were basically saying she should be put down or at the least we should not take her unless "we are ok with her biting a hole in our babies head" (bc when she last attacked the Chihuahua she left a small hole in her head skull...) She is let out inside here sometimes, if my mom is gone off and I put the other animals up, and has never had any issue really. She has growled at my foot once years ago but that's about it on people aggression. If we take her she'd be the only animal. I guess my concern (other then that people obviously think I shouldn't do it) is that I cannot possibly watch her every single second of the day, and so there could be chances for her to hurt the baby. I worry she'd see him as prey, being small and wobbly and crying... Or that she might attack my older kids if they are playing or fighting. (My husband and I have been play fighting or dancing etc in the room her kennel is in before and she will be barking and baking, I assume she thinks we are hurting each other or something I'm not sure...and I worry she might would do something in that situation if she was out). Also she jumps the fence constantly if not hooked to a run and our new house doesn't have one (although I plan to get one for the kids regardless). So in my position what would you do and why??

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc Bangor ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who tells you to put your dog down is a complete moron and should be slapped. Sounds to me she is animal aggressive but not human aggressive. If she has never bitten a person not likely she will start now. I would suggest that you take her to a trainer... get her used to basic commands so that she will understand what you want from her. Also when you can't keep an eye on her when the baby is down at her level try to put her in another room. She will probably have a hard time adjusting to more freedom so find one room that she can consider to be her own room a room that she can get away to be by herself if needed.
    Obviously the older children need to know it's not ok to tease or hurt her. But I assume if no one has been bitten that they probably already know this.
    Ignore any idiot that suggest you get rid of dog, they obviously are ones that should not have dogs.
    Good luck.. Give you pooch a pat and cuddle from us

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• > @Sandy_Kramer_etc said:
    > .
    > .
    > Anyone who tells you to put your dog down is a complete moron and should be slapped. Sounds to me she is animal aggressive but not human aggressive. If she has never bitten a person not likely she will start now. I would suggest that you take her to a trainer... get her used to basic commands so that she will understand what you want from her. Also when you can't keep an eye on her when the baby is down at her level try to put her in another room. She will probably have a hard time adjusting to more freedom so find one room that she can consider to be her own room a room that she can get away to be by herself if needed.
    > .
    > Obviously the older children need to know it's not ok to tease or hurt her. But I assume if no one has been bitten that they probably already know this.
    > .
    > Ignore any idiot that suggest you get rid of dog, they obviously are ones that should not have dogs.
    > .
    > Good luck.. Give you pooch a pat and cuddle from us

Thank you for your comment. I agree that it seemed kind of rash to suggest putting her down or getting rid of her. The only options really are taking her with us or leaving her here with my mom. My mom wants her "for protection" but doesn't seem to get she can't protect anyone from a cage. I guess she thinks barking would scare people off, idk.
    The only issue with that plan is we don't have a room in our new house she could really be in alone. The laundry room is barely bigger than the crate she's in now, and then there's the kids rooms and kitchen and our room. I guess our bathroom could be an option but last time we shut her in a bathroom she tore the floor all up.
    My only concern with taking her and having her out is that with him being so small she might hurt him over a ball or something (his toys) or over some "trigger" as the other people put it.
    She is old...like I say she's I believe 11 this year ,so I feel like maybe that's out of her system but at the same time I've heard of aggressive dogs getting more aggressive with old age. So who knows. I just don't want my baby or another child...or myself. To be the guinea pig :( it's a hard decision.
  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc Bangor ✭✭✭✭

Does the baby sleep in your room or with the other kids. If she sleeps in with the other kids then make your bedroom her safe room. She would only need it for when she seems to be getting frustrated or if you can't be there to supervise. Also I would not close the door. use a baby gate instead, so that she can still look out and see what is going on. I really don't think she is likely to start being human aggressive now if she never has been. Hope it works out.

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page

• When you are moving to new home, make sure that your dog yard is safe.. or you may buy electronic dog fence if the yard is not safe.. Here are the some great selections to buy...
    http://www.thepetgod.com/best-underground-dog-fences-for-your-yard/