Buy vs. adopt

Hi everyone, I'm curious - How many of you prefer to buy vs. to adopt and also how many of you have actually bought vs. adopted.

Comments

• I will never buy a dog! There are too many killed every day - yes even purebreds, because there are more dogs than homes available. I am very active in rescue and it is heartbreaking. If you need a specific breed - there are breed specific rescues that you can reach out to to help you find a pet. 
  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc Bangor ✭✭✭✭

I do both.   Most of our babies are adopted, but My first pup was a purchase from a breeder.    I know some people refuse to buy because of so many in the pounds but you have to keep in mind that if there are no breeders then eventually there will be no dogs.   I think it really depends on the area in which you live.   If you live someplace where there are dozens or even hundreds of dogs in shelters then you really should go with a shelter dog.   If you live in an area like we do where at most there is a half dozen dogs at any one time and these dogs are not suitable for your situation than buying is not an evil act.

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• If you buy, be sure to visit the breeder. Too many people are duped by beautiful websites that are actually selling puppies from puppy mills. And don't assume that because they are from an Amish farm that it's better - the Amish have gone into puppy mills also. Even when they don't treat the dogs badly, they often consider them like livestock and don't do the early socialization that is so important to a great dog. Research your breeder carefully if you buy. NEVER BUY FROM A PUPPY STORE!!!

When adopting, I always recommend using a rescue group that has dogs they pulled from shelters and rehab in foster homes for a while. This way you have saved a dog from the shelter, but will be able to know much more about it, such as any problems with kids or cats, or quirky behaviors you might want to know about first.

Both of my border collies came from rescue - you can get wonderful dogs if you are careful in your choices. There are so many dogs that need homes that it's not wrong to be fussy and try to get one that will be the best choice for you and your family.

Carol
    Helpful dog training articles
  • Thanks for your insights. :smile: