Is a Carp good for a dog?

Scott RasmussenScott Rasmussen Posts: 991Member
edited 14 January, 2017 in Raw Food Diet
I\'d never eat the stuff, but is it acceptable to feed carp to a dog? Would I have to remove scales? These are pretty boney fish, as well. We have a spot a few hundred yards away where I could easily spear some 15 or 20 pounders. It would be a cheap source of fish, also. I\'m kind of concerned about the fish bones, also.

Comments

• anon ymousanon ymous Posts: 5,791Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    I'd check if they were tested for high mercury and PCBs in your area. I did a fast google search for "do carp have mercury" and it looks too high for them.
  • Amanda LynchAmanda Lynch Posts: 3,400Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Mercury would be a concern, and I believe dogs aren't supposed to eat fish bones. If you can de-bone them and talk to your county extension agent about mercury- free testing may be available- then go for it.
    edited 14 October, 2009
    why aren't dogs supposed to eat fish bones?
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    No fish bones? I let Treader have fish bones when I give him fish. Like the bones in a can of salmon. How are fish bones bad for dogs?
    edited 14 October, 2009
    I've always let my dogs eat the bones of sardines and smelt. those are the only whole fish i can get though. I didn't know you weren't supposed to though:-k
  • Carissa MaleckiCarissa Malecki Buffalo / BaltimorePosts: 7,383Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Dogs can eat fish bones. There are some fish that have really sharp fins that I would cut off before feeding though.
  • Scott RasmussenScott Rasmussen Posts: 991Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Looks like freezing drizzle here today, so I'll have some time to find out about the mercury content. I know the geese here contain mercury, and the last thing I want is an autistic G.S.D.
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesPosts: 4,239Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    :)) Sorry, the thought of an autistic GSD makes me giggle. They\'re so smart, you\'d end up with a savant at fetching who would refuse to meet your eyes. I bought carp once. How could you pass up the opportunity to feed a huge, ugly 5-lb fish? Neither Byron nor the cats would have anything to do with it. I gave the tail with some meat to one of the cats, and he kept sniffing it and jumping back. The tail was almost as big as he was - he probably thought it was a sea monster. :)) But I got some cheap entertainment for five bucks. Pity I didn\'t take a video. Fish bones are ok. As with chicken, the bones are hard and sharp when cooked. But raw bones are very soft and pliable, no problem. Scales, head, tail - all fine. Just make sure the fins aren\'t cutting material. Fish are a natural whole prey for dogs around water.
  • Amanda LynchAmanda Lynch Posts: 3,400Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    I've heard little fish are okay, but I wouldn't feed a whole trout, for example. Having cleaned them, their bones seem sharp to me even raw. The head and tail seem okay, but the rib bones seem like they could be a risk. Although if you guys aren't having problems, then it's (quite literally) no problem. :-h
    edited 14 October, 2009
    I get surprised at how sharp bones can be. I mean I don't like thinking of unnaturally cut bones going through my dogs bodies:( They are like daggers. (i don't feed them) I never felt large fish bones. The sardines and smelt are tiny and soft though. But it's good to be cautious about bones and always check.
  • edited 14 October, 2009
    Here, our doggies get lots of whole fish, big and small. They don't eat the large fish bones like they do with other meaty bones like rabbit or fowl. They tend to just eat the meat off the bones and leave the frame of the fish behind. If your dog does this, I see no reason to debone or fillet. Take aways the fun!
  • Judy MurdochJudy Murdoch Northern Lower MichiganPosts: 8,717Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    gotmercury.com says if K 10 weighs 75 pounds and eats a pound of carp in a week, that would 270% of amount of mercury allowed for that weight. It\'s a human calculator, of course, but it still says carp is too high in mercury for my dogs to me.
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Lily, that was very interesting. Mercury levels should be different in different locations, shouldn't they, or not?
    K-10, Mercury is from the environment, so yes, it would differ from place to place and technically from one company to another, if they are fish farming. The FDA just doesn't have data for all the fish from everywhere yet, so the data from gotmercury.org is highly specific and localized.
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Maybe it's the PCBs that are pertinent to the area, but mercury is standard depending on fish size..since no fish can go without mercury.
    "since no fish can go without mercury." Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this statement, but PCBs and Mercury in fish is a contaminant, not a natural part of a fish? Technically there can be fish without mercury contamination if their environment does not have mercury present.. :-k A new federal study from August shows that fish from specific parts of the US are higher in HG than other parts, owing to proximity to coal-fueled plants, areas mined for metals, etc.
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Isn't it comforting to know that soon we won't beable to buy much for light bulbs for our homes that don't contain mercury? Every time a light bulb gets burnt out and thrown in your dumpster, mercury will end up in your local landfill, affecting us and our loved pets.
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Lilith, you might be right actually. I just assumed mercury couldn't be avoided even in farm fishing:-k K10 I read even "green" light bulbs have toxic mercury:(
    Most farm fishing is worse :-O The fish are kept in concentrations.. not sure what that means for mercury, but it sure does build up populations of fish lice.. :(
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Thank everyone! I learned alot from all of you on this! Carp will not be on K-10's diet. I'll stick with other foods without all of the mercury. Mercury is not something I want in my system, and therefore can not be good in any mamals system. I'm glad I asked it here, as I was intending to feed about 5 pounds of carp to the dog in a few days. I know 5 pounds of food of any type sounds like alot for a 104 lb dog, but he is still filling out, so I watch his weight and rib cage to keep just the front rib showing, and 5-7 pounds of meat per day is about what it takes with all of his activity. You guys helped my prevent a bad accident of feeding carp, and I thank you all!
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesPosts: 4,239Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Eww, fish lice. :-O One more thing I never wanted to know about. :D Lily, the mercury percentage being way too high - is that for a week\'s diet? If you fed carp only once every couple of months, say, would it still be bad? Or would you risk heavy metal poisoning immediately? What do you do with a burned-out lightbulb? I\'ve made huge strides in becoming greener, but some of this stuff baffles me. :? In the immortal words of Wicked, it\'s not easy being green. (That\'s from a t-shirt, not the show.)
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Bol wasn't "it's not easy being green" from kermit the frog:-k I wonder if there's a special way to recycle light bulbs:-k
  • M BenkeM Benke Posts: 581Member
    edited 15 October, 2009
    lol... it's from Wicked as well... excellent book and I'd almost say a better show! Got to see it in San Francisco about 6 months ago! Had a blast!
  • redsblue blueredsblue blue Posts: 45Member
    edited 14 January, 2017
    just pop the carp in a blender.
  • redsblue blueredsblue blue Posts: 45Member
    edited 14 January, 2017
    just pop the carp in a blender.