I have a 2 year old 3 pound male chihuaha. Is it a good idea to get another chihuaha and if so would

We leave him home alone for usually no longer than 3 hours but sometimes 5 or 6. If Chihuaha's like to be the only pet in the house I would rather not have another dog

Best Answers

• Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    The best thing to do is to take your male to see the other dog and see how he reacts to another dog. If he seems to have a problem with another dog. If it is possible to let them run around together but make sure you supervise them so nothing happens. As far as what sex of dog to get, i have 7 show dogs, all males and they get along just fine.
  • Beth RehbergBeth Rehberg Posts: 5Member
    Accepted Answer
    One thing about Chihuahuas is that they really like their own kind (other Chihuahuas). I can't tell you how many places I've read and heard this. And as a parent of two Chi's as well as a Chi rescue volunteer, I would heartily agree. That is NOT to say that they wouldn't get along with another breed though. At 2 years old, your Chi has established his personality and habits I'm sure. Your best bet would be to intro new dogs with your Chi on neutral territory considering the temperament and size of both dogs. Since Chi's are so small, even a large dog just playing could injure him so that is something to consider. As far as gender: I've heard it oft recommended to have dogs of opposite sex when in pairs (and no matter what gender, being spayed/neutered) to achieve a harmonious balance, however I don't think this rule is "law" as it is more of a recommendation for easier integration? I have 2 Chis of each gender. Finally, I think dogs appreciate having a fellow canine around!