French bulldog and cats

Hello all, My wife and I are planning on getting a French Bulldog in 10months to a year. We currently have a cat that my wife rescued from a shelter. Does anyone out there have a Frenchie and a cat? How do they interact? We will be getting a puppy so I dont know if that will help or not. Our cat is about 1 1/2 years old and is an indoor cat only. She is spayed and still has her claws but generally has an exellent temperment. Declawing is not an option for us. Thanks

Best Answers

• angie johnsonangie johnson Wildomar
    Accepted Answer
    I think it would really depend on the temperment of the puppy, and if your cat has the paitents to deal with it. My pup chases my cat all the time, but I think its more out of curiosity than anything really. Just try to watch them around eachother, and make sure neither of them gets hurt, and you should be fine. Good luck
  • kathy loftkathy loft Belleville
    Accepted Answer
    We have had a siamese cat for about 6 years and she is mean as heck. My concern when I decided to get a new fur pal was how SHE would react to a energized puppy running around, puppies generally except cats. Puppies are curious and I didn't want to risk the possibility of upsetting either of them. When I knew I was bringing Deogie home I put a baby gate up to separate puppy and cat. I introduced them through that, they could see and smell each other but couldn't get to each other. Deogie wanted to play but the cat wanted nothing to do with him. I kept the gate up and let them slowing get used to each other. When the cat was comfortable with venturing over the gate, I never allowed Deogie to chase her. I would hold the cat and allow Deogie to sniff her but he needed to realize the cat wasn't a play toy. Now they tolerate each other, the cat still doesn't like Deogie coming near her but they respect each others space. Always make sure your cat has a place to escape to, her own room.
  • if the cat and dog are young then they should get on and grow into each other. My French Bulldog Puppies were the same with the cat Molly at the start. My cousin has a Rare French Bulldog but that did the total oposite, so it all depends. Best thing to do is ask these guys http://dnafrenchies.com/ .. they helped me alot with advice at the time.