COCKER-TON PUPPIES- does anyone know where to find them?

Rachael FoxRachael Fox Kirkland/Bellevue/BellinghamPosts: 6Member
My grandparents love cocker spaniels, and theres is getting pretty old. Once theirs dies, I want to surprise them with a puppy. My grandpa kind of wants to move on from a cocker, but my grandma loves them. I saw a cocker-ton puppy (a mix between a cocker spaniel and a coton de tulear) and that's the perfect dog. It seems that cocker-ton puppies are hard to come by though, so does anybody know of any breeders? I don't want to buy one yet, but I want to start looking into it. Also, any good websites on the breed would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Best Answers

• Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I don't actually have any information on the breeds you are looking for, but I just wanted to address one thing perhaps you hadn't thought of. Your grandparents no doubt love their dog very much. Obviously, you know them probably better than anyone. But, keep in mind that, for most people, having a period in which to grieve for the loss of their dog or pet is an essential and healthy part of moving on from the death of an animal. Just make sure they are up for the surprise of a new puppy and that you give them adeuqate time to adjust to the loss of their older dog.
  • Accepted Answer
    In addition to the good advise Jack gave please don't support backyard breeders & puppy mills by buying a mixed breed puppy a.k.a. a mutt. There are probably 100's if not 1000's of Cocker mixes on Petfinder.com or even in your local shelter...If you want a cocker mix why don't you save a dog who needs a home instead of lining the pockets of unscrupulous breeders? Or why not just go with a Cocker again?...You can even find purebred pups in rescue or go to a responsible breeder.
  • Rachael FoxRachael Fox Posts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    To the first post, I do understand that. I realize that by saying they are my grandparents I sound much younger than I am, and I realize that adequate grieving time is necessary. To the second, mixed breeds or "mutts" are actually much healthier then purebreeds. And just because they end up at a shelter does not mean they haven't come from a puppy mill. I DO NOT ENFORCE PUPPY MILLS, and intend to check up on any breeder I come by. If I was planning on using a puppy mill, I wouldn't be asking around this far in advance. I myself have a pure bred shih tzu from a breeder, but definitely not a puppy mill. And I do want a specific breed, even if its a hybrid- and something slightly smaller than a Cocker Spaniel would be nice for them to have. If possible, I would appreciate a real response to this question.
  • Maggi BurttMaggi Burtt Toronto, Rosedale, Ramsden ParPosts: 3,639Member
    Accepted Answer
    Reputable breeders do not mix breeds. Period. If they had quality purebreds there would be a non breeding contract involved. Hybrid vigor is an unsubstantiated thing...if the two "purebred" parents have any issues at all in their lines the hybrid pup can STILL have these issues or worse. Regardless of what you think, buying a designer mix IS supporting backyard breeders and mills. An oops litter is one thing, a purposely bred hybrid is another. Why don't you ask your grandparents, when the time comes, what they think about another puppy and whether they wouldn't like something different or another cocker spaniel. Oh. And this IS a real answer.
  • Accepted Answer
    I assume you are saying you do not endorse puppy mills, but if you buy a mixed breed designer dog, I can assure you that you will be. You will feeding into the cycle of misery that keeps dogs in small cramped cages, deprived of healthy food, vet checks and even simple human affection for their entire lives. No responsible breeder breed hybrid or designer breeds and if you find a breeder of cocker-tons I can promise it is either a miller or a back yard breeder. By purchasing such a dog you will be endorsing mills and bybs. You may deny it or justify it to yourself in any way you choose, but again, responsible breeders are breeding for the betterment of the breed, not to meet the newest designer craze. As to mutts being healthier, that is just bad science. If a dog that is genetically predisposed to luxating patellas of breed A is mated to a dog with luxating patellas of breed B, the resulting puppies are apt to have luxating patellas. Simple genetics.
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have to aggree with the Dogsters, many of us support Adoption and ethical Responsible Reputable Breeders Quick rule of thumb- any "breed" that merely squishes two REAL breed names together, is NOT in fact a breed of dog. You WILL be supporting a Backyard Breeder and/or Puppy Miller. Any websites that sell these dogs WILL be Millers/BYB's. Period. Cockers Spaniels are AWESOME dogs! Had one growing up. If and when your Grandparents are ready take them to the shelter. I bet you could some real darlings. FYI, adopting a dog from a shelter in no way supports the Millers or BYB's.
  • Allie LumAllie Lum TorontoPosts: 1,587Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sweetie, I know you want your grandparents to be happy, but this is not the way to go. My aunt has a Golden Retriever, Bailey. She's 14. I know she's going to go soon and it will break my heart to see my aunt so sad, but you don't see me going out to buy a Golden-ton thing mutt. I know you might be angry for not answering your question, but I have an even better idea. How about once the time has come and your grandparents have done their grieving, you make a card that entitles them to one free dog (payed for by you). If you take them to the pound or dog shelter they will probably find a cocker mix that they will love just as much as a Cocker-ton! They might even find another dog that's not a cocker and fall in love! We originally wanted a Coton de Tulear, but then I searched on Petfinder and found Rosie. It was love at first sight! Just as good as any Coton! Plus, I feel so good about adopting her and saving her life! She is my pride and joy! You can take back a card, but not a dog. HTH!
  • Tena ParkerTena Parker PittsburghPosts: 3,333Member
    Accepted Answer
    Jack Cracker kaluha etc give good advice.. make sure your grandparents are ready for a dog. I would also keep the dog's well being in mind... a puppy may not be the right fit for an elderly couple... maybe rescue an adult dog? My guess is an adult dog from perhaps petfinder or local shelter would be the better fit than a youthful bouncing puppy. You really wont find a reputable breeder of this mixed breed dog (it's not a legitimate breed). Just because a dog doesn't come from a puppy mill doesn't mean it didn't come from a back yard breeder (which are just as bad). No good breeder is mixing breeds to make designer dogs. If you buy this 'breed' i would almost guarantee that you are supporting either a miller or a byb. Just so you know, it's against dogster rules for a 'Guest' to create two accounts in order to respond to answers. If you wanted to be able to respond to the answers you could utilize the forums section.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    Cocker-ton is a mutt, a heinz 57, a mongrel, it is NOT a breed. I think people generally think mutts are healthier than purebreds simply because a mutts health is not recorded or tracked, so your thinking is not correct. A mutt can have twice the health concerns because he/she is likely to inherit more diseases and genetic defects from both sides of his parents. It really is common sense. Responsible breeders carefully select in a way to best eliminate bad traits and enhance good traits in purebred dogs. You say your going to look into the breeder, I can almost guarantee you very VERY few mutt breeders do any health or genetic testing before the baby making. All the PP's are giving you good advice, sorry but take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong, I think mutt's are great but would I spend hundreds of dollars for one, not a chance.
  • amanda samanda s Posts: 4,222Member
    Accepted Answer
    As the others have all pointed out.responsible breeders aren't breeding mixes, designer breeds or what ever else one wants to call them. There are plenty of mixes in shelters and rescues across the country. Also the idea that mixes are healthier then purebreds is also a myth. Please first make sure this is what your grandparents want and include them in it, don't buy a mix from a breeder but go through shelters and rescues. If you do choose to go through a breeder for a purebred then make sure it is a responsible one. If you do end up getting a mix from a breeder then you have in fact supported a puppymill or back yard breeder. Certainly not a responsible breeder and the dogs are the ones suffering.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Good breeders don't breed mixes like that unless it's for a tangible purpose such as attempting to improve a breed's health. Designer dogs (such as a "Cocker-ton") are simply marketing ploys to make money. Good breeders do not breed to make money. They breed for the health and improvement of the breed they love. You could probably find a dog of this mix on petfinder.com. This site lists animals from shelters and rescue groups, and has tons of dogs of all kinds of mixes and breeds listed. If you wish to stick with breeders, I recommend looking for a reputable Cocker or Coton breeder that does not mix breeds and getting a dog from there. You can learn what to look for in a breeder here: cookiemiller.tripod.com
  • Lisa VardamanLisa Vardaman BlufftonPosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    mypuppiestolove.com

Comments

• yes i have a litter of 5 i have 3 girls and 2 boys we want to sell them, u can text me for the prices 931 981 0815 they will be ready may 2 2014