Vestibular Disease in Puppy?

deniselea1972deniselea1972 Posts: 1Member
Hello.  I am new to this forum and am in need of some advice.  I have a 5 month old Shihtzu mix puppy (I believe she is mixed with poodle - we rescued her) who started having some episodes 10 days ago.  She started alligator rolling on the floor, eyes bugging out, disoriented, and unable to stand. I immediately took her to the emergency hospital where she had another episode and also vomitted. They kept her overnight and hydrated her. The next day and a half she seemed fine other than being tired. Then it started again. We have taken her to a neurology. She had an MRI and a spinal tap; both came back negative.  She went 3 days without having any episodes then yesterday she had three. We are able to sense when they're coming so they are shorter in duration and less intense. Her neurologist says it is most likely idiopathic vestibular disease since tests were negative. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  We were told by her neurologist that this is not typical in a puppy her age.  Do we just ride it out and hope it resolves on its own?  Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. Thank you!

Denise
Tagged:

Comments