Canine Stress Rate on the Rise?

Nancy HolwellNancy Holwell Posts: 61Member
edited 22 May, 2008 in Behavior & Training
Found a very interesting article about dog\'s stress levels. Full article here: Worry They say some of the symptoms of an anxiety problem are: Excessive licking (himself or furniture) Heavy panting or drooling Chasing his tail Pacing Fence running Destroying surroundings or harming self

Comments

• Meredith MapesMeredith Mapes PalmerPosts: 1,351Member
    edited 21 May, 2008
    That is very interesting! I have one dog who is afraid of men, loud noises, and people in general. I wnder is it is stress related...he was not socialized as a pup but he is one heck of a sled dog. His daughter is the complete opposite too.
  • edited 21 May, 2008
    In my opinion, almost all "bad" behaviors are expressions of stress, anxiety, and frustration. This includes what some would call "dominant" and "submissive" behaviors-- which is a complete misnomer. I'm not sure if anxiety IS on the rise(it wouldn't surprise me given the way popular training techniques are applied nowadays)-- maybe it is just being noticed more? In either case, I think what's almost always been the problem is that dogs are not having their most basic instinct fulfilled-- their prey drive. Dogs will subsequently find alternative outlets that reduce their stress, and a lot of that is influenced by breed.
  • Jacinta LooJacinta Loo BrooklynPosts: 4,397Member
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Agree with Indy (as I invariably do!! :-h), but want to suggest (and take this out of the realm of training and behavior) that the increase in "inappropriate" behaviors can also be partially attributed to the over-vaccination/over-medicated/overly exposed to harmful chemicals lifestyles that our pets can be subjected to.
  • Casey LomonacoCasey Lomonaco BinghamtonPosts: 7,706Member
    edited 22 May, 2008
    I don't know that one could prove the "canine stress rate is on the rise." What I do think is that behaviorists are increasingly aware of and analytical of canine body language. Years ago, there wouldn't have been as much understanding of calming signals, displacement behaviors, and appeasement behaviors. I would guess that dogs in stress have always exhibited these behaviors, and humans are finally paying attention to what they signify about an animal's emotional state.
  • Jacinta LooJacinta Loo BrooklynPosts: 4,397Member
    edited 22 May, 2008
    Wanted to put out another idea - let's say about 50 yrs ago, there were probably more working dogs than there are now. I think the popularity of "decorative pets" who don't have a job greater than toe warming might feel underutilized and have a build up of drive energy (that ALL dogs invariably have to some degree or other) that they can't release properly because their owners haven't given them an appropriate outlet. So they learn to release it through behaviors like chewing, destroying, chasing the cat etc etc. Which goes back to Indy's argument. Which I agree with. OK I'll shut up now and go to bed... :r