Neuter incision site!????

Denise GibsonDenise Gibson YumaPosts: 10Member
edited 15 September, 2008 in Dog Health
I recently had my male cattle dog neutered through my local humane society. His incision is midway on his penis far from his testicles! Being an ex vet assistant, I've never seen it done in this location and he is having terrible problems with the incision site and the razor burn he got from them shaving his testes. The sx site is open and they did not use metal sutures on the outside. He going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning cause he's so miserable and he should not be. Any experience with this surgical location?

Comments

• Freeda MeeFreeda Mee Posts: 73Member
    edited 14 September, 2008
    Both cheech and chong has scars at the intersect where the ball sack starts and the shaft begins. Can't be much help other than that. When both cheech and chong get excited to see someone two hard balls form (just like testies) at that exact scar location (not in the sack). So I figure they don't remove the balls, just cut something to prevent them from being in the sack. I have no idea other than the balls are still there at times.
  • morgan hershbergermorgan hershberger Lynn HavenPosts: 916Member
    The incision is made pre-scrotal (in front of the ****) so that part sounds normal, but the fact that the incision is open is cause for concern. Also, the testicles are removed when neutered, but those 2 knots that look like testicles are you dog being, um how should i put this, very excited. (basically an erection)
  • sarah searssarah sears OakridgePosts: 952Member
    Peanut was neutered like this. He ripped a stitch but it was fairly healed by then. Is the incision open? If so that would be cause for concern but the razor burn should go away soon.
  • Judy MurdochJudy Murdoch Northern Lower MichiganPosts: 8,717Member
    Wrong gender here, so I only know about razor burn. Moira was recently shaved to be spayed. She didn\'t have the surgery, but ended up with a huge sore area of red itchy razor or antiseptic burn. I carefully bathed and rinsed the area to get off any antiseptic, then opened Vit E capsules and applied the contents. Much better the first day. Healed the second. Vit E will be fine for the incision area. Do not use cortisone cream there. It thins the skin.
  • Freeda MeeFreeda Mee Posts: 73Member
    They are excited when the balls appear ♥Lenn- on,- CGC♥ but not horny since the penis doesn't stick out or go hard, nor do they try to hump or anything like that. I'm just glad it isn't a case of forgotten ball removal.
  • Denise GibsonDenise Gibson YumaPosts: 10Member
    edited 15 September, 2008
    Thank you all for your help. The incision is pretty open but internal sutures must be holding it partially closed for now. We are going to the vet early this afternoon. I hate seeing my most wonderful companion in distress like this. I'll keep you posted on his condition and post any new info I learn from the Vet in the hope it could help someone here someday! Peace and love!
  • edited 15 September, 2008
    Hucky was neutered Sept 4th. He had the same incision that you described. He still had his set if you know what I mean. Although now, a week and half later, they are starting to sag. He was very active when I got him home. 4 days after his surgery he either pulled or popped some stitches cause he was bleeding. I looked him in his crate for a few hours so he'd stay still and the bleeding stopped. It's been 11 days now and his stitches disolved and he's fine.
  • Allison SchaeferAllison Schaefer Vancouver IslandPosts: 1,829Member
    K-leb, I'm curious, where did the vet make the incision in the clinic you worked at? The incision made also sounds normal to be, generally the incision is made in front of the **** and the testicles are pulled out through the incision, leaving the empty **** (which, in an older male dog, can be quite large even after the testicles are gone). Vets often for neuters and spays will use sub-cuticular sutures, which are below the first layer of skin. These sutures are also disolvable so you don't have to go in and have them removed. It can sometimes make it look like the incision is opened very slightly, but if you have concerns you should always have it checked out. Also, the "lumps" cheech and chong mentioned are called the bulbus glandis, the part of the male reproductive system that creates the "tie" when dogs mate. Hope all goes well with your pup!
  • susan browningsusan browning Posts: 4Member
    Huky, Iam just wondering did you start using a crate ????
  • Katja SuhradaKatja Suhrada Central FloridaPosts: 3,722Member
    Pooki, as cute as you are. I don\'t think this is the appropriate post for that question..I normally don\'t say anything negative, and I don\'t mean to offend. K-leb, I hope you are feeling better. I had the same problem with Annie, slight razorburn. I put some burts bees ointment on there ( it contained vitamin E and cocoa butter ). It looked alot better the next day. Good luck |:|
  • susan browningsusan browning Posts: 4Member
    Sorry :r kaleb and everyone else I have been reading posts before I joined and I should have phrased it differently. I really like dogster and didn\'t mean to step on any toes. I just thought it was strange that someone went from being so passionatly against crates is now suggesting the use of one.
  • Mary ParmerMary Parmer Posts: 276Member
    My new boy has the same thing! They actually stitched inside and then used stitch-glue on the outside. He was so irritated that he opened the glue area. He had to go on antibiotics and anti-inflamatories as well as a cream for the area (along with an e-collar). He also has those two 'lumps' I noticed today and had NO idea what they were.... :r Besides my Jake (who was neutered long before I got him) I've always had girls, this is all new to me. :)) I wondered about the incision site as well it seemed so far from his testies...
  • Shannon BaileyShannon Bailey SarniaPosts: 381Member
    Attis\' incision was completed the same way about mid point of that unmentionable area. Attis came home with a cone to wear but was too freaked out with it so my boyfriend decided to let him go without it-needless to say he ripped his stitches out so to the emergency Saturday vet is where we went and where they super glued him-well that held for a day and pulled open on Sunday morning-he went back into the vet on Monday to be put under and restitched. Vet mentioned to us the last dane that he did he had to end up putting steel stitches in so he would not pull them-guess they should have done that to Attis because about a week later with his \"No bite collar\" on Attis pulled the stitches again. Guess a no bite collar does not work on a great dane----however it did end up healing without any additional suturing or stitches. Now where they use to be on Attis just looks like two deflated balloons---a little ridiculous looking if you ask me. I can\'t help but laugh at him from behind... :r