Question on types of huskies

Don GambrelDon Gambrel Lima, OhioPosts: 110Member
edited 19 April, 2009 in Siberian Husky
My neighbor recently had a husky that passed away and I'm trying to figure out what kind of husky he was. I'm trying to get pictures so I can do a memoria for him since they only tried to give him to me 5 times. He weighed in at 140 pounds, his fore-legs were bigger than most average guys fore arm. His head was massive, and both eyes blue. He could stand up , put his paws on my shoulders, and rest his head on top of mine, I'm 6 foot one inch. They thought his was a malamute, I think his was American husky. I have been going thru all kinds of photo's here on dogster, and haven't found any other as huge as this guy. I've had Siberian's, so I'm hoping maybe someone might be able to point me in the right direction.....Thanks

Comments

• Shea GrimmShea Grimm Posts: 82Member
    edited 14 April, 2009
    There's no recognized breed called an "American Husky". Some people also refer to an "Alaskan Husky" which is not a recognized breed, either, but is usually a mix of Nordic breeds. I believe the only recognized husky breed is the Siberian Husky which are obviously much, much smaller than the dog you're inquiring about. The blue eyes pretty much rules out an Alaskan Malamute (note there is still some controversy about this). I have had Alaskan Malamute/Siberian Husky crosses that were quite large. My current 5 month old pup, in fact, is a straight cross and is likely to be over 100 pounds and very tall. However, that size is actually larger than even the Alaskan Malamute standard and is simply the result of him coming from a line of very large Malamutes and Siberians being bred purely for size. (I'm not advocating this, just stating the facts). It's also possible he was a Nordic breed/Siberian crossed with a wolf, although wolf hybrids are seldom blue-eyed. They can bring a lot of size into a mix.
  • Don GambrelDon Gambrel Lima, OhioPosts: 110Member
    edited 15 April, 2009
    Thanks, that helps, I didn't know about the eye thing with Malamutes. Never heard of the Nordic one you mention either, I'll have to research that, sound interesting. LaStat kinda had the same markings you have, which I think goes with most husky breeds. Maybe my buddy was one of those freak of nature guy's.... Thanks for the info...
  • Shea GrimmShea Grimm Posts: 82Member
    edited 15 April, 2009
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, a Nordic, or Northern, breed just refers to a variety of breeds that originated within that geographic region, and would include the Sibe, Malamute, and Samoyed. It's not a specific breed.
  • Don GambrelDon Gambrel Lima, OhioPosts: 110Member
    edited 17 April, 2009
    Oh, Okay, LOL..... Thanks you again
  • Shawn CoppShawn Copp Port OrchardPosts: 255Member
    edited 19 April, 2009
    Have you ever thought about an Akita Mal mix? They can sometimes look similiar to an untrained eye. I dont think however you should rule out a Mal just because of the blue eyes, there are many blue eyed Mals, they just have Husky bloodlines in them at one time in their family tree. But it is uncommon for a northern breed to be that large, working dogs are at a disadvantage when they become that large. Good luck.