Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

brand new australian sheperd family.

Mickey WeissMickey Weiss VegasPosts: 1Member
edited 20 July, 2009 in Australian Shepherd
My family just rescued a Australian Shepherd for the pound. He's 3 month old I couldent pass his sweet little face up. I have been doing some research on the breed. He seems like the best dog for what we need. Which is a friend and playmate for My autistic son. Some how he seems to already know what his job is. He's already by my sons side 24/7. However in my research I read that they love to have a job to do? I live in las Vegas but I have a large back yard so he has room to run and play. I am sure my son will want to play lots of fetch. What types of things should I do to make sure he feels like ha has a job and gets lots of excersize.

Comments

• tina eldertina elder BradentonPosts: 218Member
    edited 5 July, 2009
    well congrats on ur new aussie i hope he makes a great family member.and hmm about excersize id recomend just basic training like sit stay and once completely done with those well tri teaching new things dogs love when you make them use there brain for training techniques. and always remember socialize ur dog well to other people and animals long walks will be great for i know cody gets long walks every day he loves them and you may call him a rare pup because in his hole life even the puppy stages i only caught him chewing on a shoe once that was the only thing he ever chewed on i find it odd but hes almost perfectly normal. its pretty easy to teach a dog chewing is bad but in codies case he must have already known so if ur dog chews its best to tech him not to.
  • brandi parriganbrandi parrigan Wild Blue YonderPosts: 10Member
    edited 5 July, 2009
    Congratulations on your new rescue pup, and welcome to the breed! My own two aussies are also rescues, and I\'m fairly new to them as well, however I\'m learning very quickly what the breed is all about. Trust me, you\'ll catch on fast! Aussies do need stimulation, both physical and mental. Our Allie is a troublemaker when she\'s bored. We take them on two long walks a day, and even more if we\'ve got the time. Most of the time, if the weather permits, we\'ll take them to one of the creeks near our home and let them play their hearts out, or else we\'ll drive them to the lake or river and let them get some kicks there. That doesn\'t drain their energy by far, so I thank God we\'ve got enough land for them to just run loose and play for a few hours. I just can\'t keep up! We\'re learning to require them to work for any sort of reward. They\'re eager to please, and truthfully they want to work whether rewarded or not. The best thing we\'ve found is just to keep teaching them new tricks. Ours aren\'t interested in a game of fetch yet, but we\'re working on that (they\'re both young adult rescues who were never taught). I suggest you start encouraging it as soon as possible, because it encourages both exercise and mental stimulation. Not to mention, your son will have a blast!
  • Paul WinsworthPaul Winsworth Posts: 142Member
    edited 10 July, 2009
    Congratulations on adopting first of all and for adopting an aussie. Grady is an aussie mix we adopted about a year and a half ago. One thing to know is aussies are very high drive dog and need alot of exercise that includes running, walks are great but they just don't do it for Grady. Since Grady joined our family we have become active in agility and disc dogging. Both sports exercise the mental and physical needs for this breed. For disc dogging all you need is a dog, a few frisbees, yard to play in and about 3 to 5 minutes of time. I am a member of the Minnesota Disc Dog Club and have loved every minute that I have together with Grady. It has built a strong bond between us. If you would like more information on disc dogging go to the MNDISCDOG.com web site and look in the free forum. There is alot of information on getting started, people to ask question of and we welcome all ages (the forum is family friendly). Now go have fun with your aussie.
  • bob fosterbob foster west virginiaPosts: 8Member
    edited 16 July, 2009
    congratulations on your new friend. casey loves to play ball and frisbee. lately i have been hiding her ball and i tell her to find her ball. she loves this game. she will search everywhere till she finds it. she doesnt give up until the ball is found. one word of advice, buy several tennis balls. casey sue also likes to chew them to schredds.
  • Terry DurborowTerry Durborow Kill Devil HillsPosts: 5Member
    edited 20 July, 2009
    I have two Aussies & of the many dogs I have had in life I have to say Aussies are tops in my book. From experience before the age of 5 they really are high energy furballs. And yes they do need to feel they have a job. Then it sounds to me like Rye, Rye has all ready figured out his main job... The more you live with him the more you will find that he'll just sort of "fit" into his job. This breed really is very intelligent and have an incredible ability to just sense what they are supposed to do to contribute. I know it can be a serious challenge because of the Autism but Rye, Rye can be a part of even the daily things you do with your son. Believe it or not with patience (on your part) Rye, Rye can even be taught to help with the daily routine of care for your son. This breed can learn to untie shoes, help with undressing & baths even give reason to look forward to something as simple as a happy meal time. Kira & even my Angel (who's blind & deaf) learned at a very young age how to untie shoes, help take them off, remove socks, shirts, pants etc... and in a very gentle way. And as to people in general... they just seem to sense the appropriate behavior with a mentally/physically challenged person, a child or elderly person, that needs to be treated a bit gentler as opposed to someone that is ready to get down on the ground and play as rough & tumble as possible. Congrats on your new family member, I can imagine life will be so much the different (and better for it) because of his addition.