any chis eat grain free?

Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
edited 28 November, 2009 in Chihuahua
I'm thinking about switching Lila Rae to grain free bc of all the itchy skin she has been having lately? have any chis switched to grain free? Has it benefited you? Thanks:-h

Comments

• Kristin Van HookKristin Van Hook FrederickPosts: 223Member
    edited 10 July, 2009
    :-h Hi Lila Rae I\'ve been eating grain free food for over two years now. My mom says my sister and I have never looked better! We highly recommend it. I have food allergies and switching to grain free took all of the itchy hives away! I also used to be a picky eater... but not anymore. Now I inhale my food BOL. Whether you go grain free or not, I hope you find a food that suits you.
  • Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
    edited 11 July, 2009
    thanks paris! What do you feed them? I am in the process of switching tonight from wellness small breed to natural balance potato and duck. I'm hoping it helps her!
  • Kara VenekampKara Venekamp SpokanePosts: 366Member
    edited 11 July, 2009
    I mix Taste of The Wild and Wellness Core for Luna just because it's good for her. I changed to this food when I thought she had an allergy but she didn't. She likes the food and she looks and acts great on it. Her coat almost sparkles like diamond when she is in the sun. I also have noticed her eyes are less watery since changing to GF. I think Lila Rae will be very happy on GF food:)
    edited 11 July, 2009
    thanks luna! Glad to see you are doing well on grain free. If it helps Lila Rae out, I'm thinking about switching Harley as well (she is also a paw chewer).:-h
  • Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Posts: 1,439Member
    edited 21 July, 2009
    Brody is on Orijen. I highly recommend it!
  • Ashlyn ValdesAshlyn Valdes Sunrise, FloridaPosts: 3,289Member
    edited 23 July, 2009
    I just switched over to Wellness Super5Mix for Adult Small Dog Health.. it's specially formulated for us, we are pleased with it so far! Daisy loves it! =;
    edited 24 July, 2009
    We're on a rotation of Wellness CORE(regular & Ocean), Innova Evo(regular & Red meat), Orijen and Nature's Variety Instinct. Hopefully we can add the new Acana formulas and Canidae GF to our rotation soon. My absolute favorite, though, would have to be EVO. I go bonkers for it. I highly recommend it!
  • Charlotte VenableCharlotte Venable SpringdalePosts: 2,450Member
    edited 25 July, 2009
    We're on Canidae grain free. I can't say I've noticed a lot of positive result from it though, other than the fact that Daisy no longer has the gastric issues she was having after Canidae changed their formula to cut down on rice and add peas and barley. They don't seem to be any less itchy to me...maybe a little bit, but not much. Which makes our vet think now that their problems are grass, pollen, etc.
    edited 26 July, 2009
    thanks guys! I think Lila Rae may have some allergies to grass and pollen as well. her eyes run and she sneezes after running in the grass! Poor girl, I know how she feels because I am allergic to everything-- grass, trees, dust, pollen, and the list goes on and on.
  • Lisa SimonLisa Simon Balsam LakePosts: 608Member
    edited 7 August, 2009
    Gordy eats Taste of the Wild - salmon. He lost around 3 pounds on it (he was over 13 pounds - now hes down to 10) and maintained that weight for about 6 months now. He also doesn't have the tear stains anymore. We started using grain free grain free because of Moxies allergies - she's our GSD. All 3 of our dogs do great on grain free. I hope it helps your pups allergies.
  • Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Posts: 1,439Member
    edited 7 August, 2009
    Have you considered a raw diet? They can be excellent for allergies!
    edited 9 August, 2009
    noo. I would never do raw! Totally grosses me out! but thanks for the help.=;
  • Carol AbbottCarol Abbott Posts: 3Member
    edited 15 September, 2009
    I only eat non-grain foods. My humans mix it around with Innovia and some others for sensitive stomach. When I got my puppy shots and spayed, they made chicken and rice for me till I was able to eat regular puppy food again. Oh, and I occassionally sneak a bite of pudding or a bit of table scraps when I can. And there's the occassional "mystery" snack that I pick up on the floor and swallow before the humans can get it out of my mouth. I love to watch them freak out when I do that!!!
  • Yijia WangYijia Wang Posts: 241Member
    edited 16 September, 2009
    Moochi eats raw and she\'s only 5 lbs. She loves it, she has been raw fed since she was 8 weeks old. Because I don\'t feed her commercial dog food, she doesn\'t have any allergies to grain or proteins. I also rotate her proteins almost daily. It is especially a great diet for small dogs like chihuahuas because of their tiny jaws. Because of their small jaws, there is a higher chances for them to get periodontal disease. And we all know that could lead to serious problems down the road. Raw Fed Teeth These are Moochi\'s Teeth. Like I said, she has been raw fed since she was 8 weeks old. Today she is 1 year and 8 months old. She has never had teeth cleaning in her entire life, and probably not going to for the rest of her life. This is why I am grateful to the raw diet and so passionate about it. Because I see the result. You should at least do the research before brushing it off. I have tried premium kibbles before, and the result is incomparable to a raw diet. Because I have seen the results, I will never feed kibble again, even if it is super premium ones. Good Luck whichever you decide, the information is all out there, you just have to search for it.
  • Stephanie PykeStephanie Pyke OmahaPosts: 1,372Member
    edited 3 November, 2009
    Not totally grain free. The only grain I let Foxxy eat is brown rice. The other starch is cooked potatoes, but not very much of either. She gets chicken (at 70 cents per pound for whole chickens, it's cheaper than dog food and she only gets 1/4 cup per meal so one chicken lasts for a while) carrots, apple slices, and dried (not smoked) pigs ears to gnaw on. I also give her a raw egg once a week because it helps her coat. Finally, she gets 1 tablespoon of plain lowfat yogurt with every meal, because yogurt has active cultures that help with skin and coat, helps eliminate tear staining, and helps digestive function. I have heard that lots of chis are allergic to corn (which is a major component in commercial food) and even more are not just allergic to wheat, but they have an autoimmune resopnce to it the way that humans with celiac's disease do. Dogs are even worse off than humans about being able to digest the protein called Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley rye, and is a contaminant in oats. Even a normal human cannot digest this protein, and neither can dogs, who are even more carnivorous. From what I can tell with dogs that have an autoimmmune response to gluten it causes the same symptoms in dogs as it does in humans: loss of appetite, diabetes, lethargy, skin problems, malnutrition, tooth decay, bone disorders, digestive troubles, infertility, sometimes unexplainable either obesity or anorexia.
  • Bunny_PrincesseLilyCGNBunny_PrincesseLilyCGN bathurstPosts: 9,421Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 November, 2009
    I just wonder... does grain free help with tear stains?
    edited 28 November, 2009
    Going grain free could help with tear stains, though it really depends on what is causing them. Tear stains can be caused by a number of different things from environmental, to food related or even clogged tear ducts. We Chis are so low to the ground that we easily get dust and dirt in our eyes which causes us to have watery eyes. So the answer to your question, Princess, is maybe! My cat is mostly white and she used to get horrible tear stains. They were so bad that my brother came to me frantic one day, telling me the cat\'s eyes were bleeding. :)) When I switched her food to Canidae GF her tear stains went away completely. I\'m thinking her tear stains must have been from a grain intolerance.