Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Walking issues.

Christine PetersonChristine Peterson Posts: 13Member
edited 1 November, 2009 in Australian Shepherd
I post this in the B&T but I thought I would post it here as well. Hello I am new here. Names Christine. We have an Aussie. We got him in June, from a Rescue. So we are still learning his mannerisms. he's an awesome walker, but if he hears a dog barking in there backyards he starts to whine and look at me. If other dogs are walking he gets a bit crazy tries to get to them and bark loudly and or whine and try to run away! I don't get it. I've had moments where I would walk him to that dog and he smells and is fine. I don't get many opportunities on this part. I will try to get his attention saying his name , pull gently on the leash to snap him out of it or touch him. doesn't seem to work. I so would love to start taking him to the dog parks, but I'm worried because of his actions. I have family that had dogs, I'm thinking of doing some sort of play date, but I don't want to overwhelm him. oh we also walk him everyday, try too. Like I said He's a rescue, he's 1.5yrs old and I know nothing of his last family. Any ideas tips or antyign I'm doing wrong I can change? thanks for any help.

Comments

• Philip BantaPhilip Banta Posts: 25Member
    edited 19 October, 2009
    Have you tried using a treat whenever he passes another dog without barking? Or a quick snap of the leash, compared to the smack in the back of the head your parents would give you. If all else fails enroll him in dog obedience class,that way there is a controlled environment for him to meet other dogs. Dog obedience helped the two cocker spaniels in my family who were also extremely loud around other dogs. After six or seven classes they were adjusting well and can now meet new dogs without barking (obviously not all the time but they are much better).
  • John someoneJohn someone Posts: 6Member
    edited 1 November, 2009
    Hi. I'm new, too, and wanted to see what other Aussie owners were saying. When I got Sadie at end of July she was a horrible walker, pulling constantly. Now she walks pretty good and knows some areas where she has to be on short leash(sidewalk close to street) She isn't trained to heel or anything but doesn't pull as hard as she can anymore. That is UNTIL she sees another dog or or children playing. Not all other dogs though. Funny that some dogs excite her and others don't. She almost drowned herself trying to swim across a pretty wide river to go visit a golden retriever when I thought she would be safe off leash. We are working on these behaviors but time is against me right now.