Are you thinking about adding a Chihuahua to your family?

Jack's PackJack's Pack AustinPosts: 4,608Member ✭✭
edited 18 March, 2010 in Chihuahua
Did you know Chihuahuas are quickly becoming the most common small breed of dog in our nation's shelters. As they grow in popularity, there are not enough homes for the number of them being produced. Sadly, the overflow is more than rescue organizations can keep up with, so many are euthanized in shelters every day. It is not a rarity to find even purebred puppies awaiting forever homes through shelters and rescue organizations. A puppy/dog available for adoption via a shelter or a rescue organization will already be vaccinated, spayed/neutered, microchipped, etc. for an adoption fee less than the price of purchasing a dog from a breeder. Many adult dogs available for adoption via a shelter or a rescue organization have received some level of training (e.g. crate, house, basic, etc.). Their established temperaments have been evualated to help ensure a suitable match with a forever family. Given the chance, they are fully capable for forming close bonds with new families. So, before you breed or buy, give a shelter or rescue Chihuahua a try! http://www.petharbor.com http://www.petfinder.com http://www.adoptapet.com

Comments

• Jack's PackJack's Pack AustinPosts: 4,608Member ✭✭
    edited 12 November, 2009
    ~b~ Bump ~b~
  • themisfitbenji1themisfitbenji1 Posts: 6,990Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 November, 2009
    It's hard to find a chihuahua in my area. Whenever one is in the shelter, he gets snatched right up! I suppose that's a good thing, though. It means people in my area are adopting. ~b~ When I was a kid, my neighbor had a chihuahua x JRT mix that I adored. I'd walk him, feed him and generally take care of him. She dumped him at the pound. My mom called that same night and he was already gone. :-O Small dogs, especially chihuahuas, don't stay in shelters that long here. Still, if I ever get a chihuahua of my own (meepster, sakura and precious aren't mine), he'll be a shelter dog. Even if I have to look for years. :c9
    edited 13 December, 2009
    bump |$|
    edited 7 March, 2010
    ;c;
  • Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
    edited 7 March, 2010
    We were interested in a 4 lb chi that we found on petfinder and were denied getting her UNTIL all my dogs were altered. Tippi, Lila Rae, and Cobain are ALL altered. Harley is not because she only weighs 2 lbs and barely bleeds or even acts like she is in heat. This is really frustrating because I feel like we are a MORE than qualified home and shouldn't matter that our 2 lb chihuahua isn't spayed. :(( Wanted to add that I truly feel that there should be some exceptions and that a quick background/vet/whatever check would prove that we are more than capable of owning an adopted dog at some point in our future. This just leads me back to wanting .. well really having .. to buy.
    edited 8 March, 2010
    Our rescue organization will also deny applicants with animals who have not been spayed and neutered, with the only exceptions being conformation show animals and when a licensed veterinarian has determined the risk/benefit ratio is not in favor of spay/neuter surgery for an animal due to a health condition. In either of these cases, the potential adopter must provide documentation of such status. There's no reason a dog's size alone will prohibit a qualified veterinarian from performing spay/neuter surgery. There are special precautions that can be taken to greatly minimize the risk of complications, including bloodwork, evaluating the safest anesthesia, advanced surgical monitoring, etc. A 2lb dog is far more likely to survive a routine spay surgery than pyometra (affecting 1 in 4 intact female dogs) or a then necessary emergency spay.
  • Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
    edited 9 March, 2010
    Well it's not something that I feel comfortable doing especially with her grade 1 heart murmor.. So guess I will never adopt.. Oh well. :? Oh and wanted to add that w/ all the animals up for adoption.. and because the dog will also come altered.. I think it's a little unfair! =;
    edited 11 March, 2010
    It may seem unfair, but rescue organizations seek adopters who they believe provide appropriate veterinary care. If your veterinarian believes the risk/benefit ratio is not in favor of spaying Harley and is willing to provide documentation of that, the rescue organization might reconsider you for the adoption of one of their dogs.
  • K- V-K- V- Posts: 29Member
    edited 15 March, 2010
    I've never had a dog before and Chihuahuas are one of the breeds I'm considering. There are tons of them in pounds where I live, so I'm definitely considering a pound Chihuahua if I go the Chihuahua route. I have some questions about adopted Chihuahuas though. Two things I've heard about them are: 1. They are such one-person dogs that some of them won't bond well with or obey a new owner. 2. Adult Chihuahuas are difficult to train, so you have to get a puppy if you want to train (especially house train) them. Are either of these true, or just myths?
  • Bunny_PrincesseLilyCGNBunny_PrincesseLilyCGN bathurstPosts: 9,421Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March, 2010
    Guest, the great thing about Chis is they all have different personalities. :) If you get one from a shelter, they will have information about what they are like and if they are housebroken. Princesse was rehomed to us at 9 months old. She bonded to everybody in the house, but seems to have finally settled on my husband as 'her' person. She loves the rest of us as well but her favourite spot is on his lap. :D Housebreaking was a bit of a challenge, perhaps due to the litter box training ( puppy pad lined box). I caught on though, that she only had accidents if her pad was too wet. She is an alarm barker , like the stereotypical Chi. That is *not* to say they are all that way, just that she is. It is aggaravated here due to us living in a duplex. I suspect if we were in a private house, her barking would be cut down by at least half. Thats the bad side of living with Princesse . The good side is she is sweet, loves people ( not a big fan of children, but will leave them alone if they do the same for her) , she listens very well , and is eager to please. She gives as good as she gets with our other dog ( 20 pound mix) and makes us laugh with her crazy antics ( the play bowing to the fly had me in stitches ). If it was only up to me, and I lived in my own private home, I would have at least one more Chi;)
  • Linda AspreyLinda Asprey El CerritoPosts: 7,541Member
    edited 16 March, 2010
    I took a little guy out of a shelter, he was said to be 10, but he was only 4, I was able to get him into a forever home and he is the best dog ever, says new owner. I have had mine since she was a puppy and she is very well behaved. these dogs are good family dogs, and both of them love people, and are good with children. They may bond with one owner, but have enough love to go around for all family members. I have known people with chi\'s and they had kids, she loved everyone in the family and thier friends. I think chi\'s are not very well understood, they make great pets.
  • K- V-K- V- Posts: 29Member
    edited 18 March, 2010
    Thanks, Princesse and Tiki! That's interesting that they all have such different personalities, and I'm glad to know that (from your experiences) they rehome well. I have another Chihuahua question, but I'll make a separate thread for that since it's on a completely different topic.