Morris Animal Foundation

Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
edited 6 November, 2009 in Service & Therapy Dogs
Anybody know anything about them, http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/ Are they legit? Many organizations have an agenda far different from their mission statement.

Comments

• Debbie OuelletteDebbie Ouellette WarrenPosts: 1,141Member
    edited 3 November, 2009
    The Morris Animal Foundation is an excellent organization. It is one I have donated to for the last three years now. They are very dedicated to finding a cure for canine cancer. The are legit and a super group. Not only are they doing wonderful cancer research they also help all animals and have been intrumental in many areas like nutrition, arthritis etc. Go to their website there is tons of info about who they are and what they do. :)
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    edited 3 November, 2009
    I was hoping for more than their website. Anybody can put up a website making themselves look good.
    edited 4 November, 2009
    Aster this is a case of their website being an accurate representation of who they are. A couple of years ago (right after I started donating to them) they sent me a poster in the mail and asked if I could get my vet or local pet store to display it. It was a poster about canine cancer (which Wyoming has this was how I found the Morris Animal Foundation). I decided to ask our vet if she could hang it in her waiting area. She told me she would take the poster but had to check them out before she would put it up. Well she did her research and told me that they are a very good group and to this day that poster is still in her waiting area. You can also go to the canine cancer awareness.org and they also list Morris as a legit and good organization to donate to. You can also get a copy of their financial statement to see where the money goes. I know how some places can be all show and no substance but Morris is for real. They have been around since the late 1940\'s and their staying power is also testiment to their legitimacy.
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaPosts: 14,677Member
    edited 4 November, 2009
    If you're looking to donate to a service animal related cause, the Psychaitric Service Dog Society is my favorite! They are a really really wonderful organization that is dedicated to the mission of education, advocacy, and assistance for people and their psychiatric service dogs. Like many non-profits, they have been hit hard by the economy downturn. I don't know much about the Morris Animal Foundation, but it doesn't appear from a quick glance at their website that they are a service or therapy related organization.
    edited 5 November, 2009
    Ollivander you are right they are not exclusively therapy or service dog related but work to improve the health and welfare of all animals not just dogs and cats. They are diverse but the group was originally founded to provide help to a seeing eye dog named Buddy. Buddy was one of the first guide dogs in the country and was suffering from kidney failure. Dr. Morris wanted to help Buddy and started to treat him. One of the things Dr. Morris did was design a special dog food for Buddy and it helped. He then began marketing his food with a certain percentage of the proceeds to go to what was then called Buddy\'s Fund. This is how the Morris Foundation began and they have been dedicated to improving pets health ever since. I will have to check out the Psychaitric Service Dog Soceity. As you pointed out the recession has hit many of these non-profits hard and if one is able to donate it\'s nice to be able to help out those that do good work. Thanks for mentioning them. :-h
  • Michele MellemaMichele Mellema Posts: 767Member
    edited 5 November, 2009
    Want to hear the EASIEST way to help PSDS with fundraising? Just use goodsearch instead of google and tell them you want to raise money for PSDs in the spot to put it. They get 1 cent per search. It doesn't sound like much, but you think about it, it does add up. Easy, and costs you nothing.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    edited 6 November, 2009
    Yes, great idea. My Good Search goes to the assistance dog school we raise puppies for. They have a long list of charities. I chose the one I did because I found the idea in their newsletter. So much need, so little resources.