Chihuahua Registrations

edited 18 January, 2010 in Chihuahua
How good or important is a Continental Kennel Club pedigree registration? Which ones do you reccommend? I'm new to this. I'm a pure breed and both my doggie pawrents were too!

Comments

• Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Posts: 1,439Member
    edited 11 January, 2010
    Personally, I don't feel papers are necessary unless you are going to show or breed. If then, I believe AKC is the most reputable registry. The continental kennel club will register about anything. Just send them a picture and they'll register your dog. They are in it for the money. I don't put any stock at all into their registrations. The AKC requires DNA testing. None of the other registries do. It's the only way to legally prove the parents of the puppy. Even within a registry, there are many many qualities of dogs represented. You could have an AKC champion chihuahua and you could have a backyard bred puppy mill chi and they could look the same on paper. (Except for the ch in front of the champions, of course). I'm saying that papers don't prove the quality of the dog at all. Only that the parents were the same breed. And in some registries, even that is suspect.
  • Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
    edited 18 January, 2010
    I think the AKC is more legit than the CKC. CKC is much easier to register a doggie, whereas AKC is a little more strict. Harley is CKC, but I never sent in her papers or paid the dollar amount to have her "registered". It never mattered to me as I just wanted her for a companion.