Do you think Foxxy is a mix?

Stephanie PykeStephanie Pyke OmahaPosts: 1,372Member
edited 25 January, 2010 in Chihuahua
I am not sure. I hover between her being a pure chi, and being a chi/pom mix. Short of dna testing, I suppose there would be no way to tell, but She's definately got long haired chi in her. Her Chi characteristics: she's got the cobby body, bat ears, sickle tail, feathers on legs, downy fur on ears, coat that lays down, prominent whiskers, dainty cat feet what bugs me is that she's almost 7 pounds. Most chis she has been around are tiny compared to her. Also though I know her coat is seen in chis sh's got eye markings that are more like a pomeranian, and also her stop is not as pronounced the way a chi has. She has a very foxy face. She's also very greagarious. she loves us very much, but she also begs for everyone else to pet her. She's really confident about strangers and kids, and never is shy or aggressive, though the is very insistent that they pet her. From what I am reading this is not chi like at all. People keep telling me that chis are one person dogs. She also absolutely loves the snow and the cold. she goes out of her way to jump on and plow through whatever snow is on the ground. She never shivers all the time the way that some chi's do. You all can take a look at the few pics I have up, tell me what you think. I rescued her, so I don't actually know if she is a mix or not, but chi/pom is my suspicion, though other pics of chis show an incredible amount of diversity in coat nad even facial structure.

Comments

• Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Posts: 1,439Member
    edited 22 January, 2010
    I have seen purebred registered Chihauhua's with foxy faces that weighed 10 pounds or more. Seriously. She could just be a Chi that wasn't bred to the standard at all. So that she ends up looking like a mix. 7 pounds isn't really that big. It's very hard to find a Chi that stays within the standard of 2-6 pounds. Most of them are bigger. Lots of people will say they have a 3 or 4 pound Chi, but then when you see it in person - there's NO WAY that dog weighs 4 pounds. Maybe when it was a puppy? Anyway, you can't really go on looks. You could do a DNA test if you wanted to be sure. But my guess is she's probably a Chihuahua, just a poorly bred one. She does have some pomeranian qualities though. Really it's hard to tell. There are all kinds of personalities in Chi's too. Whatever she is.... from the looks of it, she was very lucky to find a good home! She had it rough her first couple of years. Thank you for rescuing her and giving her a good home.
  • themisfitbenji1themisfitbenji1 Posts: 6,990Member ✭✭✭
    edited 23 January, 2010
    Looking at her page, personally, I'd say chihuahua x Pomeranian mix, too. She definitely has that foxy look to her that's common in spitz breeds. The chihuahua isn't and never was a spitz breed. The Pomeranian, however... As far as size goes, I've seen 10 lb purebred chihuahuas! The 2-6 lb rule is mostly just the standard for show enthusiasts and reputable breeders to follow. Though, even for reputable breeders, sometimes a dog is bigger than standard. I've known 12 lb Pomeranians. I've known 25 lb American pit bulls. Dogs can be outside the standard and it's possible that Foxxy is. Either way, I'm convinced of the pom. She's beautiful, by the way.
  • Nikki SmithNikki Smith AnchoragePosts: 930Member
    edited 24 January, 2010
    From looking at her pictures I would guess long coat Chihuahua. Bella's dog mom and grandma both weighed 8lbs and I'm guessing Bella will probably weigh 8-10 lbs full grown. My mother-in-law has had Pomeranians since I've known her and Foxxy looks way more like a Chi than a Pom to me. As far as personality goes, I think that you are very lucky to have such an outgoing dog. I am socializing Bella every chance I get hoping that she'll be that friendly. Every dog is different. My mom's Pom had to be quarentined for biting. He is not a very friendly guy, while Bella's butt starts wiggling everytime someone comes up to us at the petstore and asks if they can pet her.
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Hi Foxxy! I just wanted to say I am most certainly NOT a one person doggy and I'm a purebred Chi for sure!!! I weigh almost 4 lbs and am a year and a half and I love everyone in my family I live with equally. Even when I go out in public, I'm a friendly pup! Not at all shy. The only time I shy away is when a big person hovers over me, that scares me. If you come down to my level, I'll sniff you and probably lick you up one side and down the other!!! And fyi, Petco offers a DNA test if you're really curious, but I say does it really matter? You're beautiful no matter what breed you are!!!! And what a lucky pup to be rescued by wonderful new people. Congrats!!!