2 things from Raven\'s weekend at the convention.

Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
edited 1 May, 2010 in Service & Therapy Dogs
Raven is a 7 month old foster puppy for a dog guide school, a female black Lab. We attended a convention over the weekend. There were 2 other puppies and 3 working dog guides. The hotel had dog unfriendly revolving doors with regular doors beside them. The one set has signs on the regular doors ''Emergency use only" . OK the people with dog guides can't read the signs and I am sure the dog are trained to choose the regular ones. I went ahead and used them too. You can make up your own mind about risking revolving doors and escalators. The dog guide school tells us to avoid them with their puppies. Perhaps they are OK with properly trained dgs and partners. We were going through the reception line of at least 30 people shaking hands with each. I noticed Raven was chewing something. Of course I worked at fishing it out. Then I realized people wouldn't want to shake my dog slobber covered hand.

Comments

• Seth LangilottiSeth Langilotti Posts: 1,497Member
    edited 25 April, 2010
    I don't think Boo would do a revolving door. I also think she'd be frightened by it, but mostly I don't want to risk her getting caught. Also they stress me out anyway, so we'd just avoid those altogether. :)) I try already as it is.
  • Martha EubanksMartha Eubanks Posts: 7,349Member
    edited 25 April, 2010
    I don't do revolving doors with Harley and I don't think they are very disability friendly in general.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    edited 26 April, 2010
    The one small airport I use occasionally has revolving doors. They are huge, plenty of room for a dog and an wheelchair. Last time I was there, with the hurry up and wait system, I had had some time to kill and did some exploring. There is a regular door, but it is at the far end from the parking lot. It may be further than many can walk. Revolving doors are important energy savers, but we need something that works for everybody. In high traffic areas, the double, airlock doors fail with the steady stream of people resulting in both doors open at once. Those hanging clear plastic strips don't seem dog friendly either. How do dogs do with the air curtain things? I don't remember my puppies encountering them.
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaPosts: 14,677Member
    edited 26 April, 2010
    I've trained both Sabrina and Ollie to use revolving doors, but that is because I could safely use them with my dog. Many people cannot, so there should always be an option available. If your dog has never used a revolving door before, I recommend going at a non-busy time and just taking it slow. They get the hang of them with practice, but especially the larger dogs can have some difficulty fitting in the spaces of some of the smaller doors.
  • Cliff LampingCliff Lamping MissionPosts: 536Member
    edited 26 April, 2010
    We don't use them either Bobby doesn't like them
  • K D PetersonK D Peterson Between NE FL and Ft Meade MDPosts: 3,211Member
    edited 26 April, 2010
    Revolving doors are one of those things where you really have to take your dog's size (mainly length and tail) into consideration. The base hotel (lodging/whatever you want to call it), AKA the Dragon, has one as well as two regular doors with push buttons for the disabled at their front entrance. Scooter LOVES it. If we walk up to the building, he'll want to head to them instead of the closer regular side doors. We also have revolving door/turnstiles at certain pedestrian gates. They are made of metal tubing and can be soo small that he and I have a tight squeeze when walking through it together since there is no room for him to to ahead or behind. These gates are manned and quite often they have to unlock one of the regular chain link fence gates so people with strollers can enter. IMHO, they are safer than escalators, but still require diligence. Aster, my guess is that your program doesn't want the puppy raisers to attempt it since an accident or some other sort of failure would take more time to overcome. I can sympathize with the slobbery hand. I keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in our bag. (One of those micro size bottles that I got elsewhere and I refill it from a larger bottle.) I bought a refill the other day and it had several prepackaged wipes along with it. Works great for dog slobber, cleaning off my hands after going through a receiving line, ect.
  • edited 26 April, 2010
    GDB does not allow the raisers to use escalators because of the possible danger involved. Once the dogs are recalled for training, they are taught proper escalator use (and revolving door use) as part of their public access training. The recipients of the Guides are also taught how to access escalators (and revolving doors) as part of the normal 28 day partner training they recieve while at GDB. My wife has had no problems with either of her Guides over the last 10 years when using escalators. She hasnt encountered revolving doors since training. I cannot take the guide pup on them, so when we are out and about where there is an escalator, I take the stairs or elevator and meet up with my wife and her Guide at a predetermined location. Why doesnt she just use the stairs or elevator with me? Because she finds using the escalator fun!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoPosts: 11,036Member
    edited 26 April, 2010
    The rehabilitation center I used to take Ginger to do animal assisted therapy had a choice of revolving doors or "airlock" doors. The "airlock" doors were doors where both sets would not open at the same time-- each set would only open if the other one was closed, so you had to step into the space between them, wait until the door closed behind you and only then would the other doors open. Because of that it was very slow to get in/out that way and several of the other therapy dog teams just used the revolving doors, including some whose dogs were bigger than Ginger. I was always nervous of Ginger's tail possibly getting caught so I mostly used the "airlock" doors unless they were out of order. When that happened I would go through the revolving doors veeery slowly, keeping one eye on Ginger's tail the whole time (or holding it with one hand!)
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    edited 1 May, 2010
    That works better for those of us that can see our dog's tail.