Judge Judy hates pit bulls?

edited 5 August, 2011 in Dog Laws & Legislation
And it's really starting to upset me, i watched a show today and she's talking about 'lock jaws' and how you shouldn't own them around children So i youtubed pit bulls and judge judy and heres just some of what i've found (no i don't expect you to watch them all) pt 1 pt 2 pt 1 pt 2

Comments

• Melissa NeriMelissa Neri BellflowerPosts: 531Member
    edited 6 August, 2010
    I KNOW SHE'S NOT FOND OF THEM & MAKES THAT VERY CLEAR. WHEN DAVID LETTERMAN MADE HIS RUDE COMMENTS, I WROTE TO CBS & HEARD NOTHING BACK. SAME WITH JUDGE JUDY. I'M TIRED OF HAVING TO DEFEND MY BREED OF DOG, BUT WILL ALWAYS BE A VOICE FOR THE BREED.
  • edited 6 August, 2010
    Judge Judy is yet another public figure who doesn\'t know anything about pit bulls - she should keep her uninformed personal opinions to herself. Her little editorial in the first video was uncalled for (however, I found the defendant\'s argument weak, too - she should have done the right thing and reimbursed her neighbor, IMO).
  • Carole TrammCarole Tramm Posts: 4,348Member
    edited 6 August, 2010
    I could've sworn Judge Judy had Chows, too, or is it Judge Joe Brown, who is also completely ignorant about dogs and breedist?
  • Maddy JoyMaddy Joy Posts: 459Member
    edited 6 August, 2010
    Judge Judy being ridiculously wrong isn\'t the only thing that ticked me off in those videos. :-/ It doesn\'t surprise me that someone who is essentially a glorified Jerry Springer is incredibly biased and uninformed. Idiots get high ratings.
  • Amanda AndersAmanda Anders Posts: 1,657Member
    edited 6 August, 2010
    Ug... don't get me started on those stupid judge shows. My mom's cousin acts like they are the bible when it comes to pit bull information, and they are what makes her think she is such an expert on them. It's started many debates between us, me coming with actual facts and research... her coming back with "well Judge so and so says". I mean, really, there should be some kind of rule as to spouting out inaccurate information as fact.
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    edited 6 August, 2010
    Judge Judy doesn\'t have to know about dogs/breeds to know the law. If a dog is not under the control of it\'s owner, the owner is responsible for any damage it does. I watched the One about the man that shot his neighbor\'s Beagle mix (BIG Beagle mix) and was also complaining about a Rottie Mix. They had 3 dogs and 2 got out because they were not properly trained on an electric fence system. I don\'t like that JJ is judging the dogs, she said \"....stupid people....\", and she\'s right. It\'s human error. So perhaps the question is why do Pits attract more dopey owners? Are they luled into a sense of false security or are they lax in judgement? I\'m a former Pit mix owner, I never worried about my dog in my house. But she was not always nice with strangers due to her abuse as a pup. You bet I kept a close eye on her!
  • Liam R-Liam R- Posts: 232Member
    edited 6 August, 2010
    I never really LIKED Judge Judy. I just don't like her attitude and the way she deals with people. I don't like how she browbeats people, and always thinks she knows who's lying and who's not. I think she might be wrong more than she likes to believe. But now I'm totally anti-Judge Judy. Spreading stupid breedist falsities, like we don't have enough people doing that!
  • edited 6 August, 2010
    You're right Woofie, she doesn't have to know dogs to know the law, and if she would stick to the law I wouldn't have a problem with her. Repeating inflammatory (and erroneous) media bites as fact had nothing to do with the case before her, and only serves to fuel the fire against responsible owners and good dogs. eta: Oops - I posted as Titus above; shoulda posted as Valentine.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALPosts: 4,692Member
    edited 6 August, 2010
    Judge Judy is a flake, and it angers me that this is what people consider \"entertainment\". Honestly, if I was the woman in that first video, they probably would have held me in contempt for creating a scene... how DARE she comment on that woman\'s care of her dogs with her children, especially when it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the case at hand! She knows nothing of their living situation (aside from the fact that one parent is always at home with the kids, so they most certainly aren\'t being left alone with the dogs), yet she feels she needs to make personal cometary on her choice of breed? Which wasn\'t even a Pit in the first place (moron, the lady sat there are TOLD her they were Am bulldog mixes)? This woman is not only putrid, but an idiot to boot.
  • Betty MorganBetty Morgan CitronellePosts: 5,018Member
    edited 7 August, 2010
    Easy, don\'t watch the shows and don\'t purchase any products advertised during the show, that will put her off of the air pretty quick. Is this person an actress playing a judge or an actual ex judge? BOL, my person could call herself \"judge Betty\" on the net or TV if she wanted to. People need to learn to think for themselves and not just accept the pronouncements of a pseudo authority figure.
  • Gwen PillerGwen Piller Posts: 2,131Member
    edited 7 August, 2010
    JJ is inflammatory because it's good for ratings. But, she follows the law... and if you are an idiot she will tell you. Also good for ratings... It's just for entertainment... don't like the entertainment, change the channel. Why get angry, she is not the only person spewing such crap and in her State there is probably BSL supporting the claims she is making... Getting angry only affects you... not JJ or the TV station. Fight against BSL and make changes. Ontario Canada has put in a private members bill to abolish BSL. Contact your politicians and do the same. :-h
  • edited 7 August, 2010
    I get angry because what she's saying are LIES, and it gives people reason to say 'oh those pit bull dogs should be banned because Judge Judy says so' I feel i have every right to be upset with the things she's saying, she's part of the problem and the problem is trying to abolish my breed of dog.
  • Anna BurgioAnna Burgio ColumbiaPosts: 3,439Member
    edited 7 August, 2010
    Only watched the first video about.. a minute or two in. One of my biggest pet peeves on BSL is that people say "pit bulls" when nowadays... hardly anyone can point out what is ACTUALLY a pit bull. Most dogs labelled as pitties are actually pit mixes, staffies, staffy mixes, american bulldogs, etc. The woman stated her dogs were "American Bulldog mixes" and Judge Judy says "well they have a lot of pit in them"... really? Do you have a certifcate of their family tree and DNA testing? No. It's an ignorant assumption.
  • edited 7 August, 2010
    i agree Charlie, Many people call Ace an American Pit Bull Terrier, And he's 80lbs, and when i owned ACTUAL pitbulls i never got the reactions i got owning Ace my bully dog. Everyone seems to think of apbts as large dogs that are stocky, thick 80lbs and up When in reality they are slim dogs around 30-60lbs. And even if you have a dog that fits the description, there are so many bullyish dogs that just about any mix can give the appearance. Without papers/ped you can never really know..
  • edited 7 August, 2010
    Please don\'t think that we responsible owners of pit bulls are just rocking back and forth on our clown shoes whining about our lot in life. I\'ve spent countless hours on the phone with state senators, and writing to politicians and publications to keep BSL from gaining a foothold in my state. Of course I resent seeing a thoughtless entertainer whose perceived authority gives her credence, lecture a televised audience on a topic of which she knows NOTHING. She\'s talking about MY dog; of course I\'m angry.
  • Carly ThomasCarly Thomas Posts: 6,374Member
    edited 7 August, 2010
    I don't know anything about her, never have, or will watch her shows BUT, someone needs to e-mail that chick telling her she is WRONG.
  • Carly ThomasCarly Thomas Posts: 6,374Member
    edited 7 August, 2010
    Taser, is she said 'I hate all dog and dog owners.' Would you just flip to the next channel or think it is wrong? :n: people with Pit Bulls are offended, just like if someone told me that my dog had locked jaws, It's nothing but lies.
  • Lya AshleyLya Ashley SmethportPosts: 5,878Member
    edited 8 August, 2010
    Ignorance is bliss - I say change the channel....=;
  • Mary RickerMary Ricker AttleboroPosts: 652Member
    edited 8 August, 2010
    I just posted on the Small Dogs thread about "small dog syndrome". I have the same thing to say about the bad rap that pit bulls get from ignorant people. The real syndrome is "lazy owner syndrome". ALL dogs require proper training, socialization, and supervision and if people aren't willing to provide those, then don't have a dog, no matter the breed!
  • edited 8 August, 2010
    Turner, Changing the channel wont change anything. But making educated people aware might. Perhaps if more educated people knew and more of these educated people shared their information and view point with her she might not make a fool of her self the next time a pit bull with a 'lock jaw' case comes into her class room... And even if NOT if more people were aware of the fact that she is a piss poor example of a judge, and what she's saying are myths, than perhaps they may stop watching the show as well. Every little person adds to the problem, ignoring the problem wont make it go away. Owners ignoring it is part of what gets BSL passed in the first place...
    edited 8 August, 2010
    I'm not ignorning the problem. I'm just not getting down to her level of thinking. It's the same 'ol story pit bulls (which are not a specific breed but a category of breeds) have locking jaws, are vicious, horrible dogs. I look at those people and shake my head, I have for over 20 years. Don't think that I don't educate, I do, I've been an owner of a pitbull/boxer mix for almost 7 years, and would love to just choke some ignorant people out. Most people with a brain will listen, those without are just sad. Turner has changed many peoples opinions about the dog they call pitbulls. Judge Judy is a tv personality - her show is mostly b.s. The cases are jokes. She ridicules people on television and they get compensated for being treated like fools by her. Me? I'd rather change the channel or better yet take the dog for a walk.
  • Lis CareyLis Carey Posts: 5,402Member
    edited 8 August, 2010
    Is this person an actress playing a judge or an actual ex judge? She's a retired family court judge, a position that required her to know a great deal about people, and especially about people passionately and sincerely saying things that are um, not quite in accord with reality, but not much, if anything, about dogs.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamPosts: 3,542Member
    edited 8 August, 2010
    Wow... I find that very apalling. I thought she was a dog person. What kind of dogs does she have?
  • M GM G Posts: 68Member
    edited 11 August, 2010
    She usually has small dogs I believe. I think judges probably get sick of trying cases where irresponsible owners let their pits/pit mixes/bulldog mixes/am bulldog/mastiff mixes maul other living things. It happens a lot and it is serious when it happens. All dogs bite but pit bites are very serious bites and often cause a lot of damage. I think pits definitely have the capacity to be extremely dangerous but so do Rotties, GSDs, Mastiffs, Bulldogs, Dobermans, and pretty much any big dog. I've been bitten by a Lab and a Dachshund but never by a pit. The problem is that when pits bite you are going to really feel it! Anyway, different dogs were bred for different things. Pits were bred to kill animals in a fighting ring. That does make a difference whether you want it to or not. I do like pits and think they are super sweet and loyal but they are good at killing things. I don't think pit owners in general have reason to worry their dog might attack them since they are almost always very good with humans but I do think they should be carefully supervised around other dogs. I do not let my dog around strange pits at all and I am so sick of people passing me with their pits and me having to worry about my dog because their pit is giving Doji the evil eye. I also don't let him play with GSDs even though he always tries to go say hi. I think GSDs are just as likely to try to eat my dog as a pit is! There is a man with a Mastiff mix in my neighborhood who drives me insane. He encourages his dog to be aggressive and to hunt and kill animals. It has killed raccoons and squirrels (it is illegal to allow your dog to kill wildlife in NYC) and has attacked and seriously injured other dogs. He walks the stupid dog off leash! I worry it will attack Doji. I would of course do my best to hurt/kill it but I think the owner would attack me as well and he is a grown man with a huge dog while I am a short woman with a short little dog. It would be a huge mess. But I do feel that he is asking for someone to shoot the damn dog and pop him in the jaw! He is lucky most New Yorkers don't carry guns or the dog would have died a long time ago.
  • Anna BurgioAnna Burgio ColumbiaPosts: 3,439Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    Doji, I can't believe the part about a pit bite being any different than another dog. All dogs are classified as Canis Lupus Familiaris. While they all come in different sizes, colors and varieties, underneath the fur they have the exact same body structure, teeth included.
  • Sarah KampelSarah Kampel Posts: 122Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    It's unfortunate that Judge Judy (who is so adamant about getting an education) doesn't educate herself on dogs before making general statements on tv for millions of people to see :? She's being very irresponsible and ignorant. We should all email or call her tv network to complain. Any large dog can bite and hurt someone, though the "bite force" does vary some from breed to breed. Rotties top the list... Judge Judy probably doesn't like them either :-/ There is a chart a little way down the page in this discussion: http://carnivoraforum.com/index.cgi?board=zoological&action=display&thread=1164&page=3 The APBT and "Pitbullterrier" are toward the middle of the pack.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALPosts: 4,692Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    I do not let my dog around strange pits at all and I am so sick of people passing me with their pits and me having to worry about my dog because their pit is giving Doji the evil eye. I also don\'t let him play with GSDs even though he always tries to go say hi. I think GSDs are just as likely to try to eat my dog as a pit is! How unfortunate that you should generalize and judge an entire breed based on a few bad apples... or have there been any bad apples? Has a GSD ever actually tried to hurt one of your dogs, or do you just shoo them away based on something you think might happen? Do you also protect your dog from all the out of control Labs, Goldens, and Chis that walk the same streets as many beautifully behaved Pits and GSDs? Or is your sole judge of character the dog\'s breed? What a shame that you miss out on meeting some truly fantastic dogs.
    edited 9 August, 2010
    Pits are not bred to fight! They are a "game dog" and the breed is used to take down an animal - they are widly used in the south for hog hunting. The pit grabs ahold of the animal and will maintain that hold until the hog is shot. They are extremely loyal to humans and have been used in war efforts many moons ago. GSD's were originally used for herding and have a strong desire to herd, corral and chase. Because of this trait they make a good dog for law enforcement. When a perp is running away, the GSD's instict is to go get it!! They to are extremely loyal and a truly wonderful breed. Don't be afraid around these breeds, you should be concerned when around the people who use these dogs for their own personal gains - fighting, over breeding etc.... Believe me the humans that misuse the breeds you mention are scarier than the dogs.
  • edited 9 August, 2010
    Charlie, I agree with the bulk of your arguement but there are dentition differences between wolves, dogs, and different dog breeds. A really interesting article re: teeth and dentition: http://www.ashgi.org/articles/teeth_bite_me.htm
  • edited 9 August, 2010
    "I do not let my dog around strange pits at all " I don't let my dogs around strange dogs period... " am so sick of people passing me with their pits and me having to worry about my dog because their pit is giving Doji the evil eye. " are you seriously upset that someone who owns a 'pit bull' walks pass you? Are they not allowed to walk their dogs? As long as they are in control of their dog why does it matter whether or not the animal walks passed your dog? "I do think they should be carefully supervised around other dogs." I agree with that, But i feel all bully breeds and terriers should be watched carefully when around another dog..Not just apbts. I've been bitten by a pit bull, labs,goldens, border collies, a whole bunch of different breeds working at the shelter and vets office. And i have to tell you my worst two bites were from a Pomeranian and a Lab. All dogs have the potential to do damage.All dog bites are serious, And a bite from just about any dog you'll feel.... "She usually has small dogs I believe. I think judges probably get sick of trying cases where irresponsible owners let their pits/pit mixes/bulldog mixes/am bulldog/mastiff mixes maul other living things. It happens a lot and it is serious when it happens. " The thing is though, she isn't blaming 'irresponsible owners'She's blaming the entire breed.