Judge Judy hates pit bulls?

Comments

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    "It's started many debates between us, me coming with actual facts and research... her coming back with "well Judge so and so says". " Wow...since when are judges experts on dogs?
  • Sagira DSagira D Florida KeysPosts: 23Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    Very interesting article about jaw structure.s of different breeds. It would make sense that big cats and pit bulls have a stronger bite than others.
  • Carole TrammCarole Tramm Posts: 4,348Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    American Pit Bull Terriers have the same bite force as other dogs their size, and less so than some breeds similarly sized. They do not have stronger jaws than any other dog their size. Actually when some breeds bite they tend to hold on to just one area whereas when other breeds tend to bite they tend to bite and shred all over; personally I'd rather be bitten by a dog that just bites one area than numerous areas, not that I want to be bitten by any dog but still. All dogs are predatory, but terriers tend to have a stronger propensity towards prey drive, so I don't know why you're paranoid about your small dog walking past only APBTs. Many working breeds and most terriers exhibit some level of prey drive. Pit Bulls were not bred to kill other dogs, their original purpose was either taking down game or bull baiting; it's heavily debated which came first, but they were NOT first bred for fighting or killing other dogs. After bull baiting was banned they were still used as catch dogs and SOME lines were created for fighting, some started being bred for farm work, some were kept just as pets and later still they began breeding show lines.
  • Carole TrammCarole Tramm Posts: 4,348Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    American Pit Bull Terriers have the same bite force as other dogs their size, and less so than some breeds similarly sized. They do not have stronger jaws than any other dog their size. Actually when some breeds bite they tend to hold on to just one area whereas when other breeds tend to bite they tend to bite and shred all over; personally I'd rather be bitten by a dog that just bites one area than numerous areas, not that I want to be bitten by any dog but still. All dogs are predatory, but terriers tend to have a stronger propensity towards prey drive, so I don't know why you're paranoid about your small dog walking past only APBTs. Many working breeds and most terriers exhibit some level of prey drive. Pit Bulls were not bred to kill other dogs, their original purpose was either taking down game or bull baiting; it's heavily debated which came first, but they were NOT first bred for fighting or killing other dogs. After bull baiting was banned they were still used as catch dogs and SOME lines were created for fighting, some started being bred for farm work, some were kept just as pets and later still they began breeding show lines. Also just so it's out there, they were also never bred to attack or harm humans and even the fighting dogs were culled if they bit a person. They are one of the few breeds out there bred specifically to NOT have human aggression even if they had a lot of prey drive or were used for the cruel activity of pitting against other animals.
  • Amanda AndersAmanda Anders Posts: 1,657Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    I got bit by an English Sheepdog, attacked really, when I was a child. It was loose and roaming the neighborhood and shouldn't have been. It tore up my face, I sure hurt and still have scars. I don't blame the dog, or the breed, but the stupid owners who let a human aggressive dog roam free. It would be silly if I went around saying that all English Sheepdogs were aggressive and dangerous because of one bad dog and owner. Here is a video of my friend's pit bull with her baby: The TRUE Disposition of a PitBull Any dog can bite and do damage, and it has more to do with training or maybe the dog was abused at some point in it's life and has issues; it's not a breed specific thing. I wish some silly humans didn't feel the need to label everything.
  • Gwen PillerGwen Piller Posts: 2,131Member
    edited 9 August, 2010
    Natcho wrote: Taser, is she said 'I hate all dog and dog owners.' Would you just flip to the next channel or think it is wrong? people with Pit Bulls are offended, just like if someone told me that my dog had locked jaws, It's nothing but lies. Response: Yes, Natcho I would just flip channels. Getting angry only affects me and ruins my day and week. This type of anger seeps into you affecting all aspects of your life causing anxiety and sometimes depression making you irritable towards others such as family members, co-workers, and those here on dogster. Like Valentine, I do not like what is being said but I prefer to be pro-active and work within my community and with my local and provincial (state) politicians to work toward having the laws changed rather than just complain, vent, and be angry. If you want change you must be part of the process to make that change.:-h
  • Maddy JoyMaddy Joy Posts: 459Member
    edited 10 August, 2010
    \"Like Valentine, I do not like what is being said but I prefer to be pro-active and work within my community and with my local and provincial (state) politicians to work toward having the laws changed rather than just complain, vent, and be angry. If you want change you must be part of the process to make that change\" Well now, that\'s an awfully large assumption you\'re making about those who vent and complain. Venting can be an entirely healthy thing to do. Venting can lead to a neat little thing called CLOSURE. Meaning, a person can get upset, let it out, and move on. If they had held in their thoughts and feelings on a subject, they would be unable to move on, and instead the anger would fester. This is all dependent on your personality. Just because *you* can\'t vent, then move on, doesn\'t mean others can\'t do it in a healthy, constructive way. All of that, by the way, is completely normal FORUM behavior. Secondly, who is to say people who vent aren\'t doing something? It\'s a stupid stereotype to say people who complain aren\'t doing anything. People who ARE doing something as important as fighting stereotypes that end up killing dogs might be a wee bit passionate about what they\'re doing...passionate people tend to need a place to vent here and there.
  • edited 10 August, 2010
    Thank you for making my point more clear, Lylah =; If just one person who reads this thread writes to Big Ticket Television (Judge Judy\'s production company) to voice their concerns about her on-air depictions of bully breeds, then the anger is worth it. “There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
  • Lis CareyLis Carey Posts: 5,402Member
    edited 10 August, 2010
    Wow... I find that very apalling. I thought she was a dog person. What kind of dogs does she have? Why would you think that? She's acting as an arbitrator in cases that would otherwise be in small claims court. Some of them are dog cases; most of them aren't. There's no special reason she should be expected to be an expert in dogs, any more than in construction, or physical therapy. It's annoying she's so ignorant about pits, but she's hardly unique in that.
  • Lucy OhannessianLucy Ohannessian Posts: 5,986Member
    edited 10 August, 2010
    I don't think writing in protest to an entertainment company will do a darn thing. Do we write in protest to music companies and channels regarding the incessant use of PBs as a thug and street cred symbol when the representation implies something illicit (i.e., the street fighting culture) and brings so many dogs to known suffering? The entertainment industry has made use of PBs for many years and continues to do so, and Judge Judy is only show typical ignorance. There is no reason for her to be a qualified breed authority. As a celebrity judge now, she obviously feels the owning of these dogs requires discretion above the norm in their management, which quite frankly I don't not agree with, nor would BadRap et al for that matter. I do not think BadRap et al would think a PB foster who could not secure her dogs properly and so off loose they got and killed a spaniel in his own backyard didn't screw up. Or that a BYB would insecurely chain and hose down his fearful PB around strangers who were then left on their lonesome wasn't being a moron. These were idiots, they are the problem. Judge Judy was incorrect....these dogs do not snap into aggression for no unfounded reason, they do not have magically locking jaws (although they will lock on a bite through tenacity). But certainly that idiots should not own dogs who may require a little more discretion. Southpaws is in the process of trying to pull from a kill shelter a young puppy....probably around nine weeks old....whose ears have been cut off with scissors. Her picture is on Tiller's page for you to see if you choose. I have far less issue with Judge Judy and the ignorant representation to PBs than I do with a music industry who encourages people onto PBs as status symbols, leading to suffering dogs whose sad fates in turn lead to headline stories that would have Judge Judy come to her incorrect conclusions in the first place.
  • Dana LittDana Litt SeattlePosts: 13,594Member
    edited 10 August, 2010
    Tiller =D>=D> eta: Oh my god. Please keep me updated on that poor puppy. What a hack job on his precious little ears! What a sweet sweet baby :(
  • edited 11 August, 2010
    Tiller.Yes I have written to music companies, on multiple occasions, i've also written to the artists themselves (DMX for example) and I rarely ever get a response, but the point is I tried t, and im sorry if you feel I shouldn't be upset about what judge judy says, and im sorry if you feel I shouldn't at least try to change something, but that's not gonna stop me from doing so as they are ALL part of the problem, obviously some more than others but it's all a part of it, and im willing to debate the big and the small... The reason Judge judy bothers me more than when someone random on animal planet says it, is because she is an authority figure, people expect her to know what she's talking about. And when they hear judge judy doesn't like pit bulls perhaps that gives them just cause to dislike the pit bull group as well.And the average joe who watches judge judy or some other B.S show is ultimately the ones who decide whether or not BSL is passed..So i will be writing judge judy and i'd like if others did as well and whether or not writing does anything, does it really hurt to try? Yes the owners are the problem as well, but again she's blaming the entire breed. And what about the person whose dog was on it's own property and attacked a dog that came on it's property is that the owners fault? Is the owner responsible for other people's dogs who may wonder onto their property? Or is it different than the spaniel case because the dog came on the pit bulls property and not the other way around? As I said before every little person is the part of the problem, the one who reads the news paper and finds out that their was a 'pit bull' attack and automatically decides all apbts should be banned. The one who bought the dog, raised the dog ,and bred the dog, The people who displayed the breed in a negative light. But the fact is they are ALL apart of the problem, AND ALL of them should be educated...
    edited 11 August, 2010
    I never said one shouldn't be upset, Ace, and yes, Judge Judy is a respected figure and her watchers do take heart in what she says, so this is a concern. At the same time, she herself is responding to what she reads in the papers, of another PB ("says who???," we ourselves would say of course, but this is being reported by journalists, who many presume are reporting factually, just as they would presume of Judge Judy) who attacked when "he had never even growled before." Judge Judy herself spent a long, long time as a family court judge, I am sure has seen a myriad of parents doing a myriad of things, and for that I can only presume has lesser tolerance regarding parents making unintelligent decisions. And for as long as there are accounts of PBs seriously injuring children put out by the media, she is more likely to take a hardline....feeling this is a breed with a reputation towards that, which the media has informed not only her of, but the general parenting public of just as well. This is about the careless misrepresentation of facts by the media and laws that seem to affirm these stands that make intelligent people such as this woman come to these conclusions. That doesn't spare the need for concern nor the wish that she would not be so very ignorant, but also exposes the extreme effects that these reports and laws have. I watched all those videos. There were two areas of particular misinformation. One was the "locking jaw," which she has confused with the PB who locks onto a bite, but of course this started with media representation. Plus the laws that seem to lend validity to media hype. And the other is that the PB will "turn" on its people, which, again, is a fallout of media representation. Other things she said I frankly agree with. As in, this is a breed that requires an owner who can practice discretion. Now that's not just a PB thing. One of my breeds (Giant Schnauzer) requires that too, for their bite discernment is notoriously loose....Tiller would happily bite strangers were it not for my leadership, guidance and management, but certainly in the cases she was hearing, these were (particularly the two mentioned) people not taking those important steps. A pair of PBs kept in a yard must be properly contained. The foster's defense was that they had passed temperament tests. Now that is just scary to me.....if she has learned NOTHING from the fact that two of her TT'd fosters raided a neighboring yard and killed someone's pet, then she was deserving of whatever book Judge Judy might have cared to have thrown at her. Idiots and PBs do not mix well. The media and those who are forming perceptions do not work well either. One of Southpaws' very best fosters, who has done wonderful work for us, refused to foster our puppy Pit Doella because she had kids in the house. The person to eventually foster her thought poorly of PBs also, but did change her mind thanks to Doella, but the POINT is these are dog loving people who understand the consequences of poor management, and yet both were willing to believe things about PBs due to culture and media representation. The woman who refused to foster Doella confessed that she knew she was overreacting to media hype, but at the same time as a mom felt compelled to exercise this extreme caution, even if she knew it not to reasonable. It's just the way it goes until it struck at its most fundamental levels.
    edited 11 August, 2010
    Teddy....thanks for your kind thoughts about "Shasta." I will keep you posted! That's always so sad to see. She deserves far better and we'll be sure she gets just that!
  • themisfitbenji1themisfitbenji1 Posts: 6,990Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August, 2010
    Haven't read through the entire board yet, but I wanted to say that... isn't Judge Judy the one that supports the HSUS? And rescue and all that? A bit ironic that she'd save some of them but talk so lowly of pit bulls. To truly love dogs, you have to accept them all as dogs and appreciate them, even if the breed isn't for you. You can't just pick and choose. I'm sorry if it isn't Judge Judy, but I'm about 90 percent sure it is. I vaguely remember seeing her in a book about a rescued poodle. Now... reading through the rest of the board. :))
    edited 11 August, 2010
    The Sheindlins are definitely dog people. Moreso I think husband Jerry Sheindlin, past judge on the NY Supreme Court, and after retirement did another reality judge show, The People's Court. He was pretty outspoken of the emotional importance of dogs to their owners. I think she loves dogs and understands devotion of owner to dog, but she obviously thinks PBs are potentially dangerous and that those who defend them as just another dog are somewhat deluded as to the possibilities. Given that she thinks anyone who does not see the potential consequences is only rationalizing, I would think any argument would go in one ear and the out the other :(
  • themisfitbenji1themisfitbenji1 Posts: 6,990Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August, 2010
    Easy, don't watch the shows and don't purchase any products advertised during the show, that will put her off of the air pretty quick Couldn't agree more, Fritz. Everyone seems to think of apbts as large dogs that are stocky, thick 80lbs and up When in reality they are slim dogs around 30-60lbs. Well, I wouldn't say everyone. That's stretching it a bit far. A lot of people do think that pit bulls are large, very stocky, block headed and 80 lbs at the least, but not everyone does. In fact, almost everyone that sees Lilo knows she's an American pit bull and she's only 35 lbs, very small, muscular but not stocky and her head is blocky but not huge. She's only had two people mislabel her. One called her a bull terrier, the other called her a Staffordshire bull terrier. (I can see the former, except her head is completely wrong and so is her body. It's just the ears. :)) The latter... I guess I could see. But she'd be a seriously malnourished one. :- A mix of the two, I could maybe see. ) Ignorance is bliss - I say change the channel... =; The real syndrome is "lazy owner syndrome". ALL dogs require proper training, socialization, and supervision and if people aren't willing to provide those, then don't have a dog, no matter the breed! Well said. The problem is that when pits bite you are going to really feel it! That may be true. I was bit by Staffordshires, not pit bulls but similar in a few ways (what they were bred for) and believe me, it hurt. Took a chunk of skin. Yet, I've also been bit by Sandy in the crossfire of a dog fight while breaking it up. She's only 14 pounds, but it hurt, too. The fact is, teeth are teeth. And when canine teeth meet your skin, it is going to hurt. What makes the difference isn't the breed, but how hard the dog bites down. I think GSDs are just as likely to try to eat my dog as a pit is! Lilo would not eat your dog. She may be the exception and not the rule, sure, but if she saw your dog, she'd actually probably roll on her back. Capable? Yes. Willing? No. Also, I would love to know what you mean by the "evil eye"? Do they actually "whale eye" your dog? Or do they just look at him? Many pit bulls have narrow eyes, so can look like they're "evil eying" you when, really, they're just looking on curiously. :- I don't let my dogs around strange dogs period... Me, either, for the most part. But if my dog and their dog is onleash, I won't turn and walk away. :D Especially if the dog is behaving. I don't think writing in protest to an entertainment company will do a darn thing. Do we write in protest to music companies and channels regarding the incessant use of PBs as a thug and street cred symbol when the representation implies something illicit (i.e., the street fighting culture) and brings so many dogs to known suffering? The entertainment industry has made use of PBs for many years and continues to do so, and Judge Judy is only show typical ignorance. There is no reason for her to be a qualified breed authority. As a celebrity judge now, she obviously feels the owning of these dogs requires discretion above the norm in their management, which quite frankly I don't not agree with, nor would BadRap et al for that matter. Well said, Tiller. As per usual. =D> Other things she said I frankly agree with. As in, this is a breed that requires an owner who can practice discretion. Now that's not just a PB thing. One of my breeds (Giant Schnauzer) requires that too, for their bite discernment is notoriously loose....Tiller would happily bite strangers were it not for my leadership, guidance and management, but certainly in the cases she was hearing, these were (particularly the two mentioned) people not taking those important steps. A pair of PBs kept in a yard must be properly contained. The foster's defense was that they had passed temperament tests. Now that is just scary to me.....if she has learned NOTHING from the fact that two of her TT'd fosters raided a neighboring yard and killed someone's pet, then she was deserving of whatever book Judge Judy might have cared to have thrown at her. Idiots and PBs do not mix well. Also, well said. And, I also hope things go well for that puppy. :( I never watch judge shows. I just can't. Whenever a dog case comes up, there's so much misinformation. Especially when it concerns a pit bull. I woke up to one of the episodes of Judge Judy you posted a link to and I just flipped the channel. Wouldn't want her ruining my day. That said, it does bother me a bit. It's hard not to let it get to you sometimes. Best thing you can do is educate those you can and help the breed as much as you can. And oops, posted as Sandy above. Meant to post as Lilo. I would think any argument would go in one ear and the out the other Probably. :(
  • edited 11 August, 2010
    When saying everyone SEEMS im not saying Everyone does, im just saying it SEEMS that way...There's a difference...Of course not EVERYONE mistakes an apbt as an overly sized hippo monster, i NEVER said that everyone did. I say that is SEEMS this way to me because the REAL apbts that i've owned were rarely identified as an apbt by other people most people thought they were mixes of some sort. While Ace my big fat hippo bully mutt is always refereed to as an apbt and im constantly correcting people 'No he's a mutt' ANd yes it probably would go in one ear and out the other. But i personally feel it's worth the try, i don't understand why people seem to have such a big problem with that? I mean one must be bothered to some extent about the fact that what she said upset me and i posted about it as it seems what's being said is that it's not worth getting upset about, one must be bothered about the fact that i'm going to voice my opinion about it, or else one wouldn't bother debating it. Which i have a hard time understanding. And as far as it all being the owners i have to disagree, there are a number of factors that play into it, not just 'bad dog owners' Im sorry if it's jumbled it's 5 in the morning and im very tired, hopefully it came out clear.
  • Maddy JoyMaddy Joy Posts: 459Member
    edited 11 August, 2010
    \"But i personally feel it\'s worth the try, i don\'t understand why people seem to have such a big problem with that? I mean one must be bothered to some extent about the fact that what she said upset me and i posted about it as it seems what\'s being said is that it\'s not worth getting upset about, one must be bothered about the fact that i\'m going to voice my opinion about it, or else one wouldn\'t bother debating it.\" If you feel something is worth being upset about, it\'s worth being upset about. Other people do not get to dictate what is important to you. It boggles the mind that people take issue with you for writing letters, and allowing yourself to feel a normal emotion.
  • hilhjknkljnihilhjknkljni Posts: 518Member
    edited 11 August, 2010
    i only watched the video until she said they have "locking jaws". that was it. a pack of lies, and people will believe it because o' so knowledgeable Judge Judy said it. makes me steaming mad:n:
    edited 12 August, 2010
    "I have far less issue with Judge Judy and the ignorant representation to PBs than I do with a music industry who encourages people onto PBs as status symbols, leading to suffering dogs whose sad fates in turn lead to headline stories that would have Judge Judy come to her incorrect conclusions in the first place." I agree Tiller... I also believe JJ would get some of this incorrect information from the poorly worded BSL Legislation that exists within both the US and Canada. Most of it is so poorly written that there is no definition of exactly what dogs are banned... example: what exactly is a Pit Bull or an Am Staff. In Mississauga Canada, they do it by lottery: they pass around a picture and if more than 50% of the staff think its a Pit or Am Staff they Kill It. Less than 50% it goes up for adoption... Sad isn't it.:-O That's why I don't get angry... If I got angry at every injustice in the world against animals and humans I'd be a a basket case. But I will be at the Rally in Toronto to BAN BSL in Ontario. The private members bill has passed 1st reading and will go to 2nd reading this fall. ----------------------------------- "In order to change the world, you have to get your head together first." -- Jimi Hendrix ----------------------------------- It isn't sufficient just to want - you've got to ask yourself what you are going to do to get the things you want." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt ----------------------------------- "You must be the change you want to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi ----------------------------------- “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” --Mahatma Gandhi
    edited 12 August, 2010
    Edit: Double posted Venting is only healthy when you are capable of moving on after your vent. And yes, I do get angry and I do not hold my anger in. But I find there is little in life that is worth being angry about and I am a much healthier person for it. But, that is what works for me...:-h
  • Randi JohnsonRandi Johnson Posts: 113Member
    edited 13 August, 2010
    I was reading Tasers quotes, and thought I'd add one, then add my two cents(but it's not about Judge Judy, I just didn't know where to put it): "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke (substitue "evil" for bsl) Ok, my two cents: I hear a lot of bully breed owners complain about bsl, but only a few say that they actually do something about it, and even then it's just to go protest bsl (yes, I know, that's needed too! Bear with me, I'm making a point). Why don't we (all dog owners, but specifically those that are targeted by bsl) get proactive and when the lawmakers in your town start talking about bsl? For example: Instead of harassing them by protesting with signs and standing around in the streets with our dogs, why don't we (as a group) hire a lawyer and find out what type of legislation would make EVERYONE happy, including people who don't even own dogs. Even here on dogster there have been those who have problems with dangerous dogs, of all breeds, so we know something has to be done! We can all agree that irresponsible idiot owners is the real issue here, so we need to find a way to either get the irresponsible people to wisen up or have their dogs taken away. Irresponsible people mostly think with their pocket book, so we need to hit them where it hurts. Some ideas I came up with: 1. stricter leash laws 2. response time for ac (in some stories I've heard about truely dangerous dogs, ac took forever to respond) 3. stricter penalties for dogs at large 4. stricter penalties for neglect, including chaining, exposure to the elements, etc... 5. stricter penalties for dog fighting (if caught or convicted of dog fighting, said person may NEVER own any breed of dog again!!) 6. violent criminals when released from jail should NEVER own any breed of dog. **This and #5, are the two areas where bully breeds get their "bad rap", so to counter act it, we need to keep them out of the hands of criminals. I'm sure there could be more points to this....but my head hurts now.;) What do all of you think? Would doing something like this be possible, or is it just "pie in the sky" thinking? I'm sure the person who originally thought up the concept of bsl was told the same thing.....:r I think this was mostly a rant because I keep reading in the comments section, after a news article after a "pit bull attack", a lot of bully breed owners say something along the lines of "I never have trouble with my dog, but there's this Cocker Spaniel (or some other very popular small breed or GR or lab, etc..) that is ALWAYS running loose and NOBODY cares!" I always want to say (sometimes I do) "then why don't YOU do something about it?! No matter the breed a loose dog is a danger, to themselves and to the public" I'd better shut up now, my two cents turned into a dollar.:-#
  • edited 13 August, 2010
    Taser,Why is it you are assuming im doing nothing, simply because what she said upset me. I'm happy you didn't get angry but I DID why is that such a bad thing? It bothers me, and i said something about it, it bothered me, so i wrote her about it. Why is it such a bad thing? Why are you criticizing the fact that i got upset because of it? And again why does this mean that i do nothing? And because one complains about something that bothers them that doesn't mean they don't do anything. I try the best that i can. I've written multiple letters to the city i live in(and others), been to local meetings voiced my opinion when BSL was proposed in my city. I help EVERY chance i get. And Chicago, interesting idea but,i see nothing wrong with chaining a dog, as long as you have a proper chain set up...
  • Liam R-Liam R- Posts: 232Member
    edited 13 August, 2010
    There are lots of people taking action Chicago. http://www.stopk9profiling.com/hersheys_rally.php This is a rally in Toronto coming up this month. Check out what they're proposing.
  • edited 13 August, 2010
    Chicago, I agree. In some cases, no new ordinances are needed - just adequate enforcement of existing laws. As for the comments you see following media reports, I heartily agree! I see those, "Well, there's a _____ (insert any other breed here) that's WAY more vicious than my pit...", and I just wince. Bully owners do themselves no favors by throwing other breeds under the bus. I understand the point they're making (that all dogs are capable of biting), but it's not a compelling argument. We need the support of other dog owners to keep discriminatory legislation at bay. *oops - posted as the wrong dog
  • Julie VuJulie Vu Posts: 153Member
    edited 18 August, 2010
    Funny that I was approached by Judge Judy producers to have my case put on their show. But I never followed through with them and just went to regular small claims against my neighbors. I weighed the pros and cons of going on the show. If I had gone onto the show I wanted it more to be to get the word out there about the laws in my city, as Animal Control did absolutely nothing in the incident to help me with my situation. But the cons outweighed the pros of the show and I also didn't know if I could handle being on TV while stating what happened (I get too emotional lol).
  • Kathleen DonovanKathleen Donovan Posts: 4,178Member
    edited 18 August, 2010
    Ace, if you enjoy shows like that, try "Christinas court". She had niegbhors suing this guy for a thousand dollars, because he shot their pit.The pup was on city sidewalks, not in the mans yard, he ran inside his home, grabbed a gun and shot it. There was no altercation, no threat. And he was inside the home shooting at the dog from a window.Christina ripped into the idiot big time, awarded the victims The $1,000. and GAVE them an extra $3000. in punitve damages. It was great! FYI, according to the CDC, rotties bite is 325 PSI, GSD'S are 295 and pitties are 3rd. This year was the first year I voted in a primary and the first year I actually researched canidates backgrounds and what they voted for.
  • Carolyn DavidsonCarolyn Davidson WashingtonPosts: 990Member
    edited 18 August, 2010
    I suppose that Judge Judy would scold me and call me an idiot as well. When my son was young between three and four years old we had a pit bull and a pit bull/lab mix. The pit lab mix was female and we had raised her with my son from the time she was 3 months old and he was a year and a half. The Pit Bull we had had from the time he was 10 and my boy was 3 years old. I trusted both dogs around my son and would often leave the dogs and my son in the same room together. My son playing on the floor and the dogs lounging on the couch and in the chair watching him, often while I went to the bathroom or stepped outside to feed the other dog a son of the pit/lab's accidental breeding with a german shepherd/collie/border collie mix. I often came in to find one or the other of the dogs laying on the floor beside my son with their head on his leg licking his hands or face. Was I afraid? NO! Never a moment went by that I feared for his safety.
  • Grace ArmstrongGrace Armstrong Posts: 20Member
    edited 19 August, 2010
    Look, the way I see it is that if Judge Judy is so small minded that she says those sort of things she is not one to be taken seriously. But then again that is only my opinion. :-k