Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Diagnosis - Oral Melanoma

Gail KohlerGail Kohler LinwoodPosts: 91Member
edited 19 January, 2011 in Get Well Soon
Hello All, I need to use this forum to vent. Buster Elmer, one of my 4 cocker spaniels, was diagnosed with oral melanoma last Thursday. I am beyond heartbroken. We were able to get an appt. at Red Bank Veterinary last Saturday and due to size and location, surgery is not an option. He will be starting radiation and a new drug ONCEPT (I hope today or tomorrrow). The irony of this is that one of our other cocker spaniels (Beulah Belle) was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor 2 years ago and underwent surgery and chemo with incredible results. Since then, I have been neurotic with testing and/or removing and questionable lumps on any of my pups and it has even been a joke that the slightist anything will result in a visit to the vet. A little bit about Buster. We rescued him 5 1/2 years ago when we found he was abandoned and left at a shelter for 3 1/2 months. Since the day he joined our family he has expressed his gratitude by giving us endless kisses and hugs and just being one of the most amazing dogs ever! He is 9 1/2 now but still acts like a puppy. I posted on this site when Beulah Belle was ill so maybe your positive thoughts will work for Buster, too!!! Thanks for listening. Gail & Buster UPDATE (Thursday Oct. 7th): Buster had his first radiation appointment and also had the ONCEPT vaccine today up at Red Bank. He became quite the little ambassador and was very busy making friends before and after his treatment. Afterwards, we stopped at Petsmart and picked out toys and treats for Buster and his brothers (Wilbur and Cody) and his sister (Beulah). Next radiation and vaccine is in 1 week. Let\'s pray this works!!!! Gail & Buster

Comments

• Dale PageDale Page Posts: 36,728Member
    edited 8 October, 2010
    |:|you are in our prayers|:|
  • Gail KohlerGail Kohler LinwoodPosts: 91Member
    edited 8 October, 2010
    Thanks and we appreciate your prayers.
  • Bobbi BrunerBobbi Bruner Fort Wayne, INPosts: 3,476Member ✭✭
    edited 8 October, 2010
    |:||:||:||:||:||:|
    edited 3 January, 2011
    Good news! Buster had undergone quite a round of treatments incluing radiation, oral vaccines and chemo drugs and the tumor shrunk by 80%. Buster is now a candidate for surgery where it was too large before. His surgery is scheduled for this Saturday January 8th. Keep us in your prayers that this will be successful and that Buster will be with us for a long, long time. Regards, Buster Elmer and Gail
  • Teresa SullivanTeresa Sullivan Santa MonicaPosts: 385Member
    edited 5 January, 2011
    Hi Buster, I'll be thinking of you. You are very brave to stand up to the cancer!
    edited 5 January, 2011
    Thank you and we can't wait to get rid of this nastiness.
  • Mary FataMary Fata Oakland Gardens/BaysidePosts: 2,740Member
    edited 5 January, 2011
    I will pray for Buster! POP POP POP!!!!
  • Aurora BakerAurora Baker Posts: 18Member
    edited 8 January, 2011
    Fight that alien cancer Buster. You can beat it!!|:|
    edited 8 January, 2011
    Buster had surgery today and I'm waiting to speak with the surgeon. Very, very anxious! Please keep your positive thoughts coming!
    edited 8 January, 2011
    Buster made it out of surgery and the doctor said it went well. He will be in the hospital overnight and possible another day depending on how he is recovering. I can't wait to hear the results of the biopsy and to pick up my little boy. We all miss him.
  • Darbi RashDarbi Rash Posts: 9,514Member ✭✭
    edited 9 January, 2011
    That is wonderful news, we will keep Buster in our prayers. Our daddy is also fighting oral cancer, and we are holding good thoughts of healing and love for him and for you. |:||:||:||:||:|
    edited 10 January, 2011
    Thank you for your continued prayers and we will do the same for your daddy, too! Thinking very positive thoughts.
    edited 18 January, 2011
    Buster- UPDATE!!!! The surgeon called today with the biopsy results and we received really good news. The margins were good and the doctor felt very good about these results. We go back up to Red Bank Veterinary tomorrow for a surgical follow up and ongoing treatment discussion. Thank you for all of your PAWSative thoughts...I think it worked!
  • StellaStella Posts: 6,822Member
    edited 19 January, 2011
    |:| Continued thoughts & prayers for your dog. Good luck! |:|