Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Delilah

Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
edited 14 October, 2010 in Service & Therapy Dogs
Today was the awful day Raven had to be returned to the dog guide school to start her training. For all my jokes about at least you don't have to send every penny you have with your dog, it still hurts to go home without the dog that has lived in your house for a year and gone everywhere with you. However, we did take home a 12 week old female, yellow Lab. With a retired dog guide in the house named Sampson, of course we named her Delilah. Ordinarily the school wants the puppies in the home at 7 weeks. Delilah was a last minute donation. There may be some issues we will have trouble with.

Comments

• Michelle KayMichelle Kay S.W. IowaPosts: 714Member
    edited 9 October, 2010
    I am truly sorry!...That must be tough...But you helped Raven on her way to helping someone else & kudos to you for that!;c;
  • edited 10 October, 2010
    Yup, we know the feeling. Wally is now at phase 8 (out of 10 total phases) and is almost ready to be placed with someone. We havent gotten another pup yet, because we have been too busy helping the other raisers with their pups. The pup club leader was so impressed with Wally that she wants us to see if we can help with the other pups in the club to reduce the chances of getting dropped. Its gonna be neat when Wally graduates......we will be there with my wifes retired guide and her current working guide, and we will be "giving away" the guide pup we raised to someone who really needs him.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    edited 13 October, 2010
    Things are going well. Delilah was fine in church Sunday morning but did tire quickly on a group walk downtown. There were actually a couple of younger puppies in the group. She has made a trip to the grocery store and eaten out twice. Today we worked most of the day sorting goods in a recycling center and Bible study tonight. We even let her see some hail today. No trouble settling down for the night in her crate. Housebreaking could be better, but most of the problem is starting with a 12 week old when we are used to 7 week old. Timing is always a moving target, but she is untrained and less predictable than a 7 week old. Yes, we need to wait longer before taking her out, but just how long. Our usual block off part of the crate didn't leave her enough room. As for Raven, no news is good news. Usually by now, the school would have X-Rayed her and let us know if she failed. All 11 of her litter have been turned in and 2 rejected for joint problems. That is a poor showing.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    edited 14 October, 2010
    Thursday has come and gone. A quiet, stay at home day for Delilah. Back at the ranch, no news is good news. Raven should have been X-Rayed and by now I would have heard if there was a problem. Resume breathing. I alternated between projects at home and preparing for a chicken noodle dinner at church Sunday. Not sure what the law is, but I keep my puppies out of the church kitchen. Public opinion counts too. The puppies actually need to learn they will be crated at times.