my tips for a clean home even with pets!

Brittany WoodBrittany Wood DaltonPosts: 7,144Member
edited 18 May, 2014 in Dogs and a Clean Home
Ok so when my hubby first wanted a dog I was like "no way" I have always loved animals but once we got out on our own I became a clean fanatic. I think I get it from my Grandmother and Aunt Linda. But, once we got Bama I fell back in love with the idea of having pets and now we have 3 dogs as well as a snake and lizard. I think preventing your house from getting smelly and nasty is the best thing you can do. In my opinion that consists of several things: -having house-trained dogs that do not have accidents (or at least very rarely) even if potty mat trained like my dogs are, the dogs should know where they are to go potty and this means consistency in training and for the life of the dog -limiting access to the whole house. my dogs do not go in our master bedroom or office/game room without us in there to watch them. we keep all rooms upstairs closed so they are downstairs with us or playing on the stairs. -if you have multiple dogs, I would suggest crating or keeping confined to one room if you work long hours. we work 8 hr days. Bama is left out, but he has his potty mats to use. Allee and Brodie are crated. I don't have to worry about accidents or messes that might go un-noticed until the odor begins -keeping bedding and kennels cleaned, I add white vinegar to the washing machine when cleaning their blankets and/or beds. -for us we don't allow the dogs in the bed, a rule the hubby made! if it were just me they'd probably at least sleep in the bedroom floor on beds or blankets. but he says once we go to bed for the night, no dogs allowed in there! i think it does help keep our bedroom dog hair and odor free! -keeping rugs and furniture clean and fresh -covering sofas with throw, sheets, etc if the dogs are allowed on them. this keeps doggie odor and hair off as well as slobber if you have a dog like my bulldog that has slimey drool when chewing on toys. -keeping dogs clean and well groomed..bathed when needed and using a waterless bath in between helps. -dogs on a good proper diet helps keep the dog from having bad odor as well as a healthy dog -proper cleaning tools and supplies. we love swiffer sweeper vac for hard floors and hoover windtunnel for carpet Some added extras that keep the home smelling good are: -fabric refreshers for rugs, carpet, softs, curtains, etc such as febreeze or renuzit for pet odor -candles like pet odor eliminator candles and other yummy ones that we like are swan creek, our own candle company, and woodwick -garbage bags for odor -plug ins, we prefer wallflowers from bath and body works, they smell wondeful and are longlasting. Keeping ahead of the problem and keeping your house clean is the best thing to prevent unwanted odors. And if something does happen and you have an odor such as a sick dog, you can't beat opening the windows to air out your home.

Comments

• Rita RaupRita Raup Posts: 39Member
    edited 24 October, 2010
    Good post Bama. My dogs don't shed and don't get the doggy smell, but I still do a pretty thorough cleaning every week. I'm somewhat of a clean freak too. I've been in a couple houses that are so dirty they make me want to leave right away. One was just gross, and I never visited their house again. And they didn't have pets. I hate going into someone's house and getting smacked in the face with the dog smell when I walk in the door. 2 of my guys have bad environmental allergies and keeping the house clean really helps them. The pups get bathed weekly. The floors get swept daily and mopped weekly and as needed in between. Puppy pads get thrown away in a garbage can on the back porch as soon as they're used. Throw rugs are vacuumed every week and cleaned when needed. Furniture is vacuumed and Febreezed every week. All wood furniture is dusted with Pledge weekly. All dog and human bedding is washed once a week. Curtains are washed a couple times a year. Walls are wiped down at least once a week. My house has the old plaster and lathe walls covered with paneling. Dust builds up fast. I burn scented candles a lot too. I'm pretty sensitive to smells, so I can be caught sniffing the furniture to make sure there's no odor, LOL.
  • Brittany WoodBrittany Wood DaltonPosts: 7,144Member
    edited 24 October, 2010
    I am super sensitive to smells too! That's a good idea for the potty pads. I have a separate trash can for mine, but geez when I open the lid to throw one away that smell will about knock me out! We use swiffer dust and shine with febreze on the wood furniture too, smells so good. Oooh, one more tip that I just discovered. Anyone with pets will notice the vacuum cleaner over time will accumulate an odor when it's being ran. I found vacuum bags with febreze. I love them. Everytime I vacuum now it smells nice! (except for now since i loaned my vacuum to my mom, ugh, smells like smoke when we vacuumed today)
    edited 25 October, 2010
    :-h
  • Bunny_PrincesseLilyCGNBunny_PrincesseLilyCGN bathurstPosts: 9,421Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 October, 2010
    I am not a clean freak by any means. I do some of those things , however. The dogs are not allowed in the bedrooms and I have covers on the chairs they are allowed on. I started vaccuumming every week. My dogs do not have a doggie smell, perhaps due to their food. I have been washing their bedding and kennels every week. I don't feel the need for any air freshners because I don't find it smells:)
  • Kayla DeverKayla Dever Rochester HillsPosts: 2,010Member
    edited 25 October, 2010
    Good post, Bama. It's absolutely possible to have a clean home with animals. Right now we have 3 dogs, 3 cats, a bird, a turtle, and a fish, and with some precautionary things we are able to keep it pretty nice. We have a fenced-in yard that the dogs have access to most of the time, so they are all totally potty trained. They haven't had accidents in ages. We have had a few vomiting situations, but we do a thorough cleaning with a Little Green Machine and enzymatic cleaner. We have a super nice vacuum (a Dyson Animal) and that helps immensely. We also have a good deal with a steam cleaning company and they steam clean the main carpets a couple times a year. All of them are on extremely good diets, they really don't have a "dog" smell, even when wet. We do regular grooming (basic brushing/nail trims etc once a week, baths as needed, or about every 3 months). Another major thing that helps is washing collars/leashes/beds etc regularly. That's where a lot of that doggie funk is. Anyways, yes, keeping animals requires a little more work and effort, but I can't imagine life without them, and it's totally possible to keep a clean house and enjoy the company of animals :)
    edited 25 October, 2010
    =; Good job Quincy!!! Bama never smells bad, Brodie kinda smells like his dog food if he gets wet but in general smells normal, Allee is our dog that really holds onto doggie odor. She always has once she goes outside for awhile, it's like all the outside smells stick to her coat. You sound like us with soo many animals!!!
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoPosts: 1,377Member ✭✭
    edited 27 October, 2010
    Great Ideas Bama we are very similar. Our dogs are NOT allowed on the furniture we bathe them and their toys, harnesses leahses and bedding at minimum once a week. They are confined to our living/dining room and hallway and ALL the rooms are blocked off. My Harley does sleep on a dog bed on the floor in our room but he shed TERRIBLY so NO big bed for him but the rest are all crated at night and confined when we leave for a long period of time. Mine are all 100% potty trained to use a dog door. And we also have a debris collecting mat in the house in front of the dog door to collect any dirt or debris they may bring in. We also use the automatic freshner sprayers. Its all GREAT advice! You sound like me cant STAND smelly house but at the same time couldnt imagine your life without pets in it. I really dont mind the extra work. They are so worth it! Does the white vinegar really work? I have always used bleach for colors and baking soda and fabric softener they always come out smelling wonderful. But still other options are great!
    edited 28 October, 2010
    Well, I used to use fab softener on the throws but quit incase it's an allergen of Brodie or Allee's. I started just adding the white vinegar to the wash with my hypoallergenic detergent and it actually helps a lot. I have allergies too! But, I just use the vinegar for the throws and Brodie's blankets that he sleeps on. He does sometimes still pee on the blanket and the vinegar helps get that urine smell out! If Brodie doesn't get a blanket he won't pee in there but he gets a pressure type sore on one leg so the vet said keep him something soft to lay on. It's a lose-lose...but I'd rather him not have the bad sore.
  • Dayna HickmanDayna Hickman ChesterPosts: 2,149Member
    edited 28 October, 2010
    Good post, but I totally don't follow your rules. We do some of those things, like not allowing him "free" access to EVERYWHERE in the house. Here are our rules: -Gunner isn't SUPPOSED to be on the bed (he has his own next to ours), but tell him that at 3:00 am...:)) -Everyone is housebroken, but some more so than others...:-/ (Jewel, a foster, submissive pees...and Autumn is still a baby she's almost there)... -I deep clean the carpet weekly (I really love the wet powder stuff, it smells good and really cleans away odors) -Furniture is only off limits to Jewel, who submissive pees and is 50 lbs... Gunner is smooth coated and sheds very little, he doesn't have a doggy smell either. The cat...well, try and keep a cat off the couch! -:))! -I wash all toys when they start to hurt my nose because they smell like mildewish...:-k -I clean out the kennels weekly, Jewel's always smells bad. That submissive pee again (hey, someone has to get her out of it!). -I love glade/fabreeze plug-ins. They save my life. -I also love candles. -occasionally, I wipe down all the blinds and the cealing fan with water and pine-sol (about once a month, usually I just dust them with a duster). That makes it smell really clean for a couple of days. I especially do this before company comes... -I clean the bathroom with bleach about every 3 days... it smells so great! -Maple (the cat) gets her litter box cleaned every morning and afternoon (and sometimes evening too). -I'm guilty of feeding all doggies outside...:-$ it totally saves me from Gunner hiding chunks under the lazyboy...
    edited 31 October, 2010
    :)) Gunner you have got to try Wallflowers from Bath and Body Works if you like plug ins! I got one from a friend bc she knew I loved stuff like that and I fell in love with it. BOL Eventually replaced all my Glade ones with Wallflowers. The refills seem pricey at 12.50 for a 2 pk. But, I have never paid that. They go on sale all the time for 5-6.00 each. And, you can get spend 30.00 get 10.00 off coupons alot. So, I stock up when they are on sale. They last a lot longer than the glade refills. Probably about 6 weeks!
  • Becca BrandenBecca Branden PocatelloPosts: 19Member
    edited 31 October, 2010
    Ooohhh, it's so hard not to let the dogs on the bed...but it's so worth it. Our bed is dog hair-free and nobody fights for real estate.
  • Dayna HickmanDayna Hickman ChesterPosts: 2,149Member
    edited 31 October, 2010
    I do love the wallflowers. I just haven't coughed up the money for one. I'll check it out next time I'm at the mall. Gunner and the cat both are allowed on the bed. Jewel and the puppy, no. Jewel may pee and the puppy STAYS dirty. Plus, Gunner hardly sheds. I don't have the heart to kick him off for good. He does know "off" and he will hop to his own bed when I give that command. But I LOVE snuggling with him in the mornings when the hubby leaves before me. Luckily, he doesn't really have a doggie odor. I do HATE it when he lays on the pillowcases though, he turns them black somehow. So he's not allowed that high up. Just on the comforter (which DEF shows signs of animal wear. BOL!)
    edited 31 October, 2010
    Sign up for bath and body's email list. When their wallflowers and refills go on sale online then they will be in the store also!
  • cheeryl canetecheeryl canete Posts: 1Member
    edited 10 May, 2013
    The easiest way to get obviate those very little hair balls is to comb them up now. It's inevitable that your dog or cat can scratch furiously, and dislodge hair, right once you vacuum. It's an enclosed pet reality. I keep a trifle broom and dustpan at easy accessibility. rather like i'd imbibe a spill on my counter as shortly as I see it, I whisk up hair and crumbs, too. End Of Lease Cleaning Brisbane
  • Kristine LundeenKristine Lundeen Posts: 56Member
    edited 2 June, 2013
    I've always been a clean freak so once a week I spring clean (this was even before I got my puppy). We vacuum everyday. The puppy is not allowed in the kitchen, the guest bedroom, or the master bedroom. He is only allowed on the couch. I have an amazing spot remover for accidents from Bissell (Crud Suds) --- works like a charm. Takes the odor away and I can't tell where the puppy had an accident. I also wash his crate once a month and wash his bedding and toys whenever I do laundry. No one entering my house realizes I have a dog. I don't smell that awful smell so many people have (especially the ones with pee pads). Oh, I also have an odor eliminator I have near his crate.
  • Amber MartinAmber Martin WartburgPosts: 179Member
    edited 3 June, 2013
    I like this thread, haha :D I usually cut back on pet odors by cleaning with both ACV and white vinegar. My room smells like a pickle for a day or two, but nothing that my favorite coconut incense can't handle. =; I also love wax burners. Febreeze is always handy as well.
  • Emily DavisEmily Davis RichmondPosts: 2,428Member
    edited 14 June, 2013
    Good post! I need any tips I can get considering my boyfriend(and, one day, husband)is highly allergic to dander, dust, etc, and I can't live and won't live without dogs, so when we get our own place, extreme cleanliness is a must. It's been going well, so far, when I clean the house before he comes over. I'm definitely gonna use the white vinegar in the laundry tip!
  • Ace_ MomAce_ Mom Posts: 285Member
    edited 16 June, 2013
    Huskies are not smelly by nature, something to do with their glands or lack thereof, but the HAIR! Vacuum every day. Sometimes sweep in between. Dogs not allowed in master bedroom, hubby's office, or the media room. They hang in the family room, kitchen, backyard. Not allowed on thee furniture, and for stubborn dogs, they learned this rule quick.
  • Amelia kjfasldkjAmelia kjfasldkj Posts: 1,361Member
    edited 16 June, 2013
    I brush Milton with a fine toothed comb almost daily. It removes loose hairs, dirt and dander. If he was furrier I would get one of those furninators, those are amazing. I let him on my bed. I have high thread count sheets which I believe are cleaner. The tightly woven fibers keeps hair and dander from sticking to the sheets. They are worth the extra money. I buy good quality big lent rollers to remove the hairs off the sheets. I seldom wash my dog. If you wash them to often it strips their coats of the natural oils and makes their skin flakier. Feeding a good quality diet makes them smell less. If the dog food has crap in it like by-products, your dogs are going to smell like it.
  • John MclarenJohn Mclaren Westlake VillagePosts: 69Member
    edited 21 June, 2013
    Very innovative ideas must say to keep our house clean, even if we have to handle a couple of dogs or more. But some lazy dogs are never inclined to learn good habits to stay at a new place.Hence under such circumstances it becomes more difficult for anyone to handle them & also to keep the house clean as much as possible.Under that situation i feel one must have a good vacuum cleaner to keep away the dirt that comes through pets & also a good trainer is required to train the pets properly.
  • edited 27 August, 2013
    Thank you for sharing your tips. It is super possible to keep a clean house even with pets. Another tip, you know how your dog loves your favourite chair? It is easy to keep them off if you're away from home or at work. Use old sheets on the backs of the chairs and stack pillows side-by-side. That way they can't lay down in the seat of the chair. :) ------------ expert carpet cleaning service in Brisbane
  • edited 23 August, 2013
    Dogs can totally get on furniture with pillows or even chairs stacked on top! Guest unless you have permission from hq you can not advertize in the fora.
  • edited 5 September, 2013
    Sharing home with an animal mean too much extra work,I just place an old towel or sheet wherever puppy likes to rest so that it is easy to clean,well I am just busy in my Home Remodeling Fairfax VA so I am not able to take care of my puppy.
  • margaret salesmargaret sales Posts: 2Member
    edited 18 September, 2013
    Major problem that i face with my pet dog is his hair.His long fuzzy hair is now all around my home..... on our sofas,under furniture,on our bed........I normally use a damp cloth or rubber glove to remove pet hair from the upholstery of the furniture.I have also hired professional house cleaning services to keep my home clean!!!
  • margaret salesmargaret sales Posts: 2Member
    edited 18 September, 2013
    My dog is very naughty....So cleaning becomes more heavy!!!Happy cleaning Pet lovers!!!
  • tammi browningtammi browning Posts: 2Member
    edited 23 September, 2013
    A pet makes keeping a clean home a challenge. But with a good plan and some work, you can make sure that your home stays clean even while Fido and Fluffy run wild. Environmentally friendly or "green" cleaning isn't as simple as you might think. Many companies claim to provide "natural" or "green" home cleaning products, but they aren't always effective or accurate.Organic cleaners won't clean harmful bacteria!!! Looking forward for more interesting home cleaning tips ......
  • Delta SnowyDelta Snowy Posts: 135Member
    edited 24 September, 2013
    Thank you so much! I am ever greatful because we have white carpets and white furniture and a tan dog and black cat! Eek! :-#
  • Kim BeldenKim Belden Daytona BeachPosts: 4Member
    edited 8 October, 2013
    I was pro-active when I downsized from a large house to a condo. I have 100% tile floors and leather furniture (except for some fabric on kitchen and dining room chairs.) Right now I only have one small dog and he is trained to the pee pad and stays in my home office during the day (with me) and when I am out. He has his own leather chair and a great view of the lake. His crate is in the room and he goes in when he wants a nap and at night. I get him professionally groomed each month and keep him brushed as to minimize shedding. I like a very clean house but, with a pet, it is not quite as clean as it would be without one BUT the tradeoff is so worth it.
  • Kim BeldenKim Belden Daytona BeachPosts: 4Member
    edited 8 October, 2013
    I was pro-active when I downsized from a large house to a condo. I have 100% tile floors and leather furniture (except for some fabric on kitchen and dining room chairs.) Right now I only have one small dog and he is trained to the pee pad and stays in my home office during the day (with me) and when I am out. He has his own leather chair and a great view of the lake. His crate is in the room and he goes in when he wants a nap and at night. I get him professionally groomed each month and keep him brushed as to minimize shedding. I like a very clean house but, with a pet, it is not quite as clean as it would be without one BUT the tradeoff is so worth it.
  • edited 24 December, 2013
    Good post! I’m not a super clean freak. But, it’s a very good post. You have some great ideas. I can’t say I follow all your rules, though.