Hello!

Emily Lund GroschEmily Lund Grosch Posts: 371Member
edited 19 January, 2013 in Alaskan Klee Kai
Hey all my fellow AKK owners. :) Just joined up, it seems like it's hard to find places where there are losts of AKK owners to talk to. I guess there's not a whole lot of us. XD Just wondering if anyone has shy or timid AKKs, and if so, what do you do to ease their anxiety? Misha is so high energy and affectionate when it's just us, but when strangers are around he gets really nervous. He has even pooped while running away when a large stranger turned around too suddenly. =\ Cheers

Comments

• edited 22 January, 2011
    Hey Misha! There are about two AKKs, Lilith included, that are regularly on the forums. :) hopefully there will be more! Shyness is an issue in some AKKs.. I would just work on positive association and lots if socialization..see how that turns out. Invite friends over that will give him yummy treats, and move onto asking perhaps people outdoors (at parks, etc) to give him treats you give the person. I'd try that!
  • DeDe RigeotDeDe Rigeot New YorkPosts: 57Member
    edited 22 January, 2011
    Hi Misha, I'm new too! Kiska is also relatively shy around people though she doesn't run away. We live in NYC in a very high traffic pedestrian area (at least during the day during the week, it really clears out at night and on the weekends) so we get a lot of strangers coming up to try to pet her and she really doesn't like it (admittedly, some of the strangers are also really, really creepy). Before she had her shots we used to take her with us everywhere in a big tote bag and she would literally shake with fear when she saw all the people and all the traffic - she would stick her head back inside the bag and hide, but then she'd come right back out again because she was kind of curious, too. We take her to puppy kindergarten and puppy play groups and we are going to start her on daycare soon. She is much better than she was before, except that lately (since Tuesday) she has taken to growling and barking at random people in the street (the ones that set her off are babies, children, people with wheels on their bags/luggage, and people carrying large shopping bags, also delivery people on bikes, but sometimes completely random, unthreatening looking people). The trainer at our puppy kindergarten says that we just need to keep socializing her and keep bringing her everywhere with us whenever we can.
  • Emily Lund GroschEmily Lund Grosch Posts: 371Member
    edited 23 January, 2011
    Thanks for the advice! :D We had one of my friends come down and stay with us for a few days. She's a smaller girl, so Misha was shy but not enough to try and bolt. He would sneak up behind her and sniff her when she was looking the other the way. XD By the end of her stay, he would play with her when she was on the ground with him and would let her walk him at the park. :) This was a pretty big breakthrough. I'm hoping to get him into obedience training classes soon, so hopefully that will help him get used to being around other dogs and people. Lilith and Kiska are BEAUTIFUL!!
    edited 24 January, 2011
    Wow, congrats on the progress you have made, Misha! I don't know about you, but Kiska is my very first dog, and the one thing that I have learned is that I really need to be patient with her. Just when I start to get at my wit's end and I'm losing hope is when she makes a lot of progress! I think obedience classes would be very helpful for Misha - I've found that puppy kindergarten has been very very helpful for Kiska (and also for me!) I forgot to mention that where we do puppy kindergarten, they also do a free puppy play group and a small dog play group once a week. We go every week with Kiska and it has been by far the most helpful! Her very first time there, she wouldn't play with anyone and she basically sat by herself in a corner all night with her back to everyone! But when we went the second time, she came out of her shell a little more and she spent the night playing with a miniature Pinscher. (They separate the puppies by size/energy level, so for example on one side of the room there was a Samoyed puppy, a Mastiff puppy, and a Spitz mix puppy and then on the other side was Kiska, the miniature Pinscher, and a Havanese). On Kiska's third week she was going around inviting all the other puppies to play with her, and she started approaching the other puppy parents to sniff them! We all look forward to puppy play group and we think that it has done wonders for her!
    edited 24 January, 2011
    That's a fantastic idea! :O I'll have to check and see if there are any places with puppy kindergarden around here because that would really be perfect. We've taken him to the dog park, but most of the dogs were a bit too big for him to feel comfortable. Having puppies around might loosen him up a bit. :) Thanks for the advice!
    edited 28 January, 2011
    Do you have any dog parks near you that divide them up into small dogs/big dogs? We took Kiska this afternoon to a "small dog park" (only after making sure it wasn't crowded) and she had a blast! But this morning, my husband took her to the regular dog park near our apt and it did not go well - Kiska gets nervous around big dogs too. But hopefully this will change soon - she played with a pitbull a little bit on the street, and tonight in puppy play group, she played with a Mastiff puppy. She played well at first but then she got a little mean with him, but I suspect she was annoyed because he drooled all over her (and it was a LOT of drool, she was all soaking wet, and she had a hunk of drool on her nose that she was trying to rub off with her paw). What also helped us with Kiska was that we carried her everywhere in a tote bag (this was before she had all her shots). It was great because she could stick her head out, but if she got scared she could easily duck back into her bag and hide. At first she was terrified of people coming over and screaming "OMG WHAT A CUTE DOG" and she'd hide, she'd also hide when we were waiting to cross the street (we live on a major avenue and there is a crazy amount of traffic), but then she'd stick her head back out 5 seconds later because she was so curious! Since she sort of went back to being scared when we took her out on the leash, we put her back in her tote bag and did a full day of errands with her, then ended up at a dog-friendly bar yesterday. It seems to have done wonders for her, as she is definitely not barking at people as much as she used to. We took her to a bunch of stores yesterday and today, and everyone wanted to give her doggie treats, and that also seems to have helped with her fear of people. I don't know how big Misha is, but maybe you can put him in some sort of a bag where he can also stick his head out? We have a Sherpa tote bag and we just got another carrier, the Sturdibag, that is more like a traditional carrier but has a little compartment on top where the dog can poke its head out and look around.
    edited 28 January, 2011
    The only couple of dog parks we've been to don't have seperate areas for big and small dogs. :( It's pretty open, though at least the one we took him to first had pretty calm dogs and owners. Even the larger dogs could see he wasn't quite ready to play yet, so they'd come over and give him a sniff and then go on their way. If I can't find one with a section for small dogs, we'll probably go back to the first one. I think Misha's a bit big for a bag, but I'd have to double check. I'm pretty sure he's full-grown standard size, so I dunno if they make bags that big. I think he'd like that though. :) They are a VERY curious breed, despite the shyness. Sometimes I really wish we had gotten him when he was a little puppy instead of at 7 months, but ah well. Do you find places are generally okay with small dogs? I'm always worried that dogs aren't allowed, and they just haven't posted signs about it. >_> We stopped at a donut shop on the way back from the park one day, and I was sitting outside on the ground while my boyfriend stood in line. They eventually noticed and said it was alright to come in. XD Sounds like Kiska is really doing well! I have hope. :D EDIT: Yeah it looks like he's too big for a bag. XD Height-wise anyways. Couldn't get a clear measurement on him, but he's definitely taller than 11" (the large size sherpa bag).
    edited 29 January, 2011
    Kiska is going to be a standard size too (we think! She might be a miniature - her mom is actually a large standard and her dad is a small miniature). She's currently 13" tall at the withers. The Sherpa tote should be OK - I tried to Google it but I couldn't find it - I guess ours is out of stock or discontinued? I think it's called Jazzy by Sherpa. There's a whole line of Sherpa totes, like the Tote Around Town, or the Park Avenue. They are 15" high, which is perfect for Kiska right now. They are not very wide, but they are really just meant for the dog to sit inside and their head to stick out (though I push her head inside and close the bag all the way when we go on the subway/bus). But lest you think I am being mean and inhumane, there is enough room for her to lie down and stretch out her front legs, and sometimes she will curl up in a ball and fall asleep! The other bag we have is a Sturdibag. We have the large size which she will might outgrow but it's just for our trip on the plane that we're taking next month. They do make one that is XL that would be perfect for when Kiska is an adult, it measures 16" high. We tried it out with her inside, and it's really lightweight, just looks really large! All the Sturdibags have a zipper opening on top, just big enough for the dog's head to stick out, so even if you get a large, maybe it would be OK if you open it on top and Misha could stick his head out when you do errands? The store we got it from was super nice and let us try both sizes out with Kiska inside. I've found it really depends on each store/person working there, whether they allow dogs or not. A few times we have brought Kiska to Whole Foods...the sign on the door says no pets allowed, but we've always had her completely enclosed in a bag. So far all the people working at Whole Foods gush if they see her and want to pet her. (Most of the time, no one notices). I don't feel comfortable bringing her into a grocery store though, so I don't take her there anymore (though granted the last few times, we happened to be nearby and it was FREEZING so one of us couldn't really wait outside). The other day we brought Kiska on leash into a shoe store, and the girl working there was fine with it and even gave her treats. We've also brought Kiska a few times to various wine stores, Barnes & Noble, and Bed Bath & Beyond. The last two stores, she was enclosed in her bag, we asked the security guard and they said it was fine and wanted to pet her. For the wine stores (my husband is French, so we are often at the wine store!) we bring her in on leash or we carry her in our arms, and she gets treats from everyone every time. We also will sometimes take her to smaller pet stores, just so she's exposed to people, and we know for sure that she's allowed there! As far as I know, where we live there are only 2 dog parks that separate into large and small dogs, neither of them is within walking distance and would require taking Kiska on the subway or bus. It's too much of a hassle to take her when I'm by myself, but my husband and I think we'll start taking her more often on days when we are both free. The other thing that we do sometimes is take Kiska to the dog park near us if there are no other dogs there (but this is just so she can get rid of her excess energy; she loves to run around like crazy back and forth, especially now that there is a ton of snow!)
    edited 30 January, 2011
    The XL Sturdibag might work :D Got a good measurement on him finally, he's about 16" and probably won't be getting any bigger. I'll look into it next time we can get to the pet store. Good news on the dog park front! We took him over yesterday and he had a blast. :D It only took him about 10min to get used to all of the new sights/smells, after that he would run over to any small-sized dog to say Hi. XD He thinks pretty much every dog is there to chase him, but is alarmed when some of the larger dogs can keep up. Sometimes he'd take off to the other side of the park, get a dog's attention, and then run it back to us. It was a really good day, and I'm so proud. :3 Still pretty people shy, but at the dog park there was so much fun and excitement that he hardly noticed the other owners.
    edited 30 January, 2011
    Yay! Congrats on the progress!!! Kiska also prefers to play with dogs smaller than herself. I suspect she likes knowing she's bigger/taller and that she can do fun things like jump over them since she's taller. I guess she doesn't like big dogs because they are stronger, and do uncool things like knock her over and step on her! :( We spent this weekend toting Kiska around in the Sturdibag and I think for everyday errands, the Sherpa tote is easier, only because it is not so wide, so it's really like a large handbag. The Sturdibag is better if you're doing a longer trip (like if we go to my mom's house for the weekend, which is only 30 minutes away by commuter train, we'd take the Sturdibag). The Sherpa tote should still be ok, since it's 15" high - so if Mischa gets scared and wants to hide, he'll still have enough room to lie down. Let me know which bag you get, and if Mischa likes it!!
  • LaKrisha SextonLaKrisha Sexton Posts: 1,085Member
    edited 31 January, 2011
    Hello other AKK owners, I haven't read all the posts yet, but am going to go back and read them all right now :) I am 1 AKK at the moment & am getting ready to add another on Friday. We have done lots & lots of socialization with Esme and she is doing great, loves to go on hikes with Momma, but still gets kinda nervous out in the hustle & bustle of town ;) Great to see a few other active Dogster AKK owners ~b~
    edited 31 January, 2011
    This is my soon to be other AKK, I am also Esmerelda's Momma :))
    edited 1 February, 2011
    @Kiska - Weirdly enough, it was this tiny Chihauhau/Dachshund type dog that knocked him over the most. XD It was a third of his size, but so persistent! He just didn't know what to do. I'll see if there's anywhere near here that sells Sherpa totes. :) If I can't find any place, I know there's a couple in Washington (which I'll be visiting soon-ish) so I'll check 'em out then. :3 @Sizzle - What a beautiful red AKK! :o I dog see these very often, let me know how introducing her to Esmerelda goes. :D David at Rose City Klee Kai got a red pup not too long ago, so hopefully we'll get some gorgeous pups out in Oregon soon. :3 My boyfriend's not too crazy about the red/white variety, but I'll take one of each
    edited 1 February, 2011
    Misha- Yes Reds are relatively rare, E's breeder has been working a lot with genetics so she has had 3 reds in the past year :D My hubby actually loves the reds, black & white are my favorite ~b~ I want one of each as well :)) How do your pups do with other dogs in your home? Esme is fine with them in our house, playful and cocky, but outside the house she gets a little timid, but we are working on it :D
    edited 1 February, 2011
    We've never had other dogs in our home so I'm really not sure. :o I think he'd do okay after getting used to them, but we'll see. XD Now that he's discovered the joys of playing with dogs at the dog park, he may like having someone else in the house who can keep up with his energy. We only have a cat right now, which he does REALLY well with, except he doesn't understand any sort of cat communication. There are times when she clearly has no patience for his shenanigans, and he just doesn't get it. >_>;;; The only time I have to seperate them is when she's playing with her toys (and by playing...I mean viciously trying to kill them). He wants to play too, but she growls and will smack him in the snout if he doesn't back off. >_> Some houses have to worry about high prey drive dogs hurting their cats, but here it's the other way around. :?
    edited 1 February, 2011
    We have 2 cats Misha so I feel you and here its the cats who will do the damage not the dogs :)). E is pretty shy outside so I have been trying to take her out with me lots more so she can get used to everything. She LOVES to walk & go on hikes though, its been pretty the past few days & when I pick up her leash she goes bananas ;c; But I am proud that she listens when I say sit even outside, with everything going on :D
    edited 1 February, 2011
    Wow, Sizzle is beautiful! I think the red/white AKK's are very beautiful! Misha, I have noticed when Kiska plays with dogs, that even though some dogs are shorter or smaller, they have much more muscle and can play really rough. When we took her to the small dog park, there was an adult French Bulldog that was playng pretty rough and Kiska did NOT appreciate it - she kept running over to me so I could pick her up. (Finally the Frenchie's mom took him next door to the big dog park). That is so good that Misha gets along (sort of?) with the cat. My mom lives about 30 minutes away and she has 3 cats. We go to her house on the weekends, and Kiska cannot stand the cats and they cannot stand her. One of my mom's cats actually grew up with a puppy before she came to us, and she's the only one of the cats not afraid of Kiska. (She's 10 now). She is always hanging around Kiska, which makes Kiska bark and try to play with her or leap on her (it varies, sometimes she invites the cat to play and sometimes she doesn't), but I suspect the cat is trying to show her who is boss. She hisses at Kiska, and has scratched her a few times, but not enough to break the skin on her muzzle, which is why I suspect that Kiska hasn't really understood the concept of claws and still keeps barking at the cats! I guess they won't be friends anytime soon since they only see each other every other weekend and Destiny is 10 now, but it's a shame since Kiska has many cat like qualities and Destiny has many dog like qualities :( Anyway right now Kiska is having some major issues - she keeps going insane, barking and lunging at people on the street, especially children (yikes!) and anyone/anything with wheels. Our trainer said she was guarding us and now Kiska is not allowed on the couch or the bed this week, but I've noticed it's gotten worse. I suspect she is not only guarding us, but it could be a case of overstimulation. I think Kiska in particular seems to be very very aware of everything going on around her and being in NYC I think it might be a bit much, especially because we live in a very very busy neighborhood with small streets. It's like she goes into a whole other zone when she starts barking and lunging and she's closed out everything else. Yesterday I saw a mailman approching from far away with his mail cart thing and I managed to get Kiska to sit on the side of the street and I put my hand on her and she seemed to calm down and just watched the mail cart go by with curiosity. I'd like to just sit on a bench or something and let her watch all the activity, but it's REALLY cold right now and I don't think I could handle it! The bag is not helping right now because she's going crazy in the bag barking at people.... Any ideas?
    edited 2 February, 2011
    Thanks Kiska!! I actually prefer black & white, but I think Sizzle is absolutely stunning & we are so lucky to be bringing her home with us :c9 Hmm, it does seem like Kiska is overstimulated to me, AKKs are very very vocal when they are nervous, curious, excited, or overstimulated, so it makes sense that she is barking at everything. I think the bet thing to do would probably be to sit down on a bench as often as possible and just let her watch everything, maybe reward whenever she ignores or ackownledges the things that she usually reacts at. Have you tried clicker training? It is absolutely amazing & I find it help Esme to focus on me, like when we are outside she will focus on me & sit & lay down. I think lots more socialization would probably help too, AKKs need lots & lots of it, but it seems you are on the right track :D Where are guys located at, I know Kiska said NYC, what about you Misha? Anyone going to the AKK specialty show in Athens, TN? Anyone thinking of adding another AKK soon :))
    edited 2 February, 2011
    Hi Sizzle, Yeah, I am not so sure anymore that Kiska is guarding us, but I really think it's overstimulation. We took her in her bag on the bus to the small dog park today; she did bark a bit in her bag when some kids got on the bus - not sure how she even saw they were kids because I had put the "blinds" on both ends of her bag so she couldn't see out, only left the flap open on top, but she was still lying down in the bag. I had to close the top flap too so she couldn't see out... :( But then we walked her from the bus stop to the small dog park (at least 8 blocks) and she seemed ok, much better than in our neighborhood. She had a good, hard play at the park and then we walked her over to the dog friendly bar in that neighborhood (at least 12 - 15 blocks) and she was really fine, she only freaked out when there were 2 little kids running in one direction, then 3 bigger kids running from the opposite direction, then a stroller, then a dude running, and I guess it was all just too much for her and she went insane. After that though, she seemed fine and was walking without any issues. My husband and I were saying that it could be that our neighborhood, and our street in particular, is just way too noisy what with all the construction, and that the street is more narrow and there are a lot more people (we actually live across the street and down the block from Ground Zero). I really do want to sit on a bench with Kiska, but it is REALLY cold right now. She does like to just sit on the sidewalk to the side and sometimes I'll just let her sit there for awhile as she watches everything. Thanks for the clicker training idea, maybe I will give it a try. Do you click when she starts barking? Because when Kiska starts barking, I feel like she's gone at that point and she won't hear anything.... An AKK breeder emailed me today saying that she had gotten my name from another breeder whom I had contacted, and she has an adult AKK that she needs to place in a home. I would have loved to take her, but seeing as Kiska is my first dog and she's still a puppy, we don't think we can really handle another dog at the moment.... :( but maybe in the near future? Don't know if we will get another AKK if we get another dog; we were actually looking to get a Boston Terrier before we ended up with Kiska...!
    edited 3 February, 2011
    It seems like she has a lot of problems with children & fast paced items or things with wheels, like strollers and skateboarders :-k. With clicker training you click when they show a behavior you WANT, so you would click & treat when she is quiet while children are passing, or when a skateboard goes by & she ignores it, or when a stroller goes by and she ignores it as well. You would have to start by loading the clicker, you do that by simply click & treat, so that Kiska will understand that when she hears a click she gets a treat, be sure to treat IMMEDIATELY after you click & click as SOOON as you see the behavior you want. It will take time for her to become completely better, & she will still probably be a bit vocal but that is simply the breed. Hope that helps you a little :)), I know clicker training has been really helpful with Esme & taking her out in public. Maybe wait til it gets a bit warmer to sit on the bench with her & after you have started clicker training (if that is something you are interested in that is) that way you can click and treat while you are sitting on the bench, just click when she acknowledges something scary but is quiet and then looks away from it to you for click & treat. She needs to learn that she doesn't have to worry about scary stuff, that you will worry for her :D Yeah, it would probably be best to wait until Kiska is a bit older & you have worked with her issues & socialized her a bit more before adding another, they can be a handful ::o. I was NOT planning on adding another AKK this soon, I mean Esme is just a puppy about 4 months old, & here we are adding a dog that is going into terrible twos, but Esme's breeder pretty much begged me to take her :)) She is a special girl that needs to go to a special home & I am honored that she chose me :c9 Bostons are a great breed if thats what you decide on!!
    edited 3 February, 2011
    Huh, that might be a possibility to try the clicker training. The only problem I see with that is that she has almost NEVER been calm around children or wheels! I'll discuss it with Kiska's teacher at her puppy play group tonight. Her teacher seems to think it's a guarding issue, but the whole Kiska not being allowed onto the bed or couch doesn't seem to be changing her behavior outside one bit, if anything, it's gotten worse! I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about Kiska and her reaction to children....my brother in law has a 2 year old boy and I know that they are all very excited to meet Kiska when we go to Paris next week, but I'm afraid that Kiska may not take kindly to a loud 2 year old who likes to run. It's also going to be really hard to explain that the kid can't go insane with the dog, especially because I feel like in Europe, people are still kind of stuck in the stone ages when it comes to dogs (like, they don't believe in obedience classes, and they are all about potty training by sticking the dog's nose in their pee/poo. They also strongly believe that all pitbulls are killing machines and that they all need to be put down, and that once a dog has tasted blood, it will be a bloodthirsty, killing maniac that needs to be put down IMMEDIATELY). Plus my mother in law is a champion worry wart and loves to find things to stress out about, and she is DEFINITELY going to go to town with the whole "Kiska hates children" thing. As it is, she is constantly emailing my mother, telling her that she worries so much about us because she thinks we are incapable of handling a puppy whom she thinks is extremely high energy; so high energy that we were obliged to pay perfectly good money on a puppy class, which she seems to believe is for dogs that are problem animals...!
    edited 3 February, 2011
    I really DON'T think that its a guarding issue because Esme will act like this when she is nervous or excited. AKKs are very very vocal, thats how they express themselves, so instead of being shy I think Kiska is barking at it releasing her nerves. AKKs aren't popular most places & they are SOOOO different, many trainers may not even know what to think of them. Maybe talk to her breeder about it as well & see what she has to say. Something you could do with clicker training is buy a skateboard & just have it beside her & click & treat when she looks at it & then back at you, then once she does that well, move up to rolling it across the floor, click & treat when she looks at it, doesnt react & looks back at you, then move outside to the other stuff. If you have any friends who have kids I would utilize them with Kiska, take her to a place where there are children playing start far enough away that she doesn't react but notices them, click & treat, then move closer, if she reacts move away, continue until you are close to them. I would go ahead and warn your sister & BIL about Kiska, its not that she is aggressive I think its because she hasn't been around kids so its scary for her. I mean look at it from her eyes, if you were that small and something was bigger than you running at you, around you, screaming, being loud you would be scared too. But let them know so that they can begin talking to the child and maybe working on some manners with him that he will need once Kiska comes. Clicker training is a wonderful tool to use if your pup is food motivated. AKKs are known to have a high prey drive & yet when Esme sees a clicker in my hand she is totally focused on me, its amazing. I think it will hlep you alot, I also think talking to your breeder would be helpful for you. I have a very close relationship with Sherry, Esme's breeder, & go to her with all of my problems or questions with Esme, she is very helpful.
    edited 4 February, 2011
    Gah! I had a big post typed up but my browser crashed and I lost it. XD The jist of it was, I totally second clicker training to help Kiska. :D AKK are much more likely to get very nervous and act out around unfamiliar things than to guard (though the will guard homes and yards). Here are some videos that will hopefully help :) Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)
    edited 4 February, 2011
    Thanks Sizzle and Misha for the clicker training help. I'll try to buy one tomorrow afternoon if we have time - we're having a small dinner party for my birthday tomorrow and then on Sunday we leave for Paris...! My husband and I were saying that it's definitely something we could work on next week in France. His parents live in the suburbs and they have a really, really gigantic backyard that is completely enclosed, and it'll be nice for Kiska to play out there, and also they've got all sorts of bikes and his brother has a stroller, etc. Will definitely keep you updated!
    edited 4 February, 2011
    Nice videos Misha!! & Good luck Kiska!! Its good talking to other AKK owners, besides my breeder, although I do love her so :)) We all must continue to talk on here :D Okay, sooo I will update you on Sizzle. We met Sherry at about 2:30, we brought E with us so Sherry could see her as she has grown sooo much since we brought her home. E did well drooled a little but overall did great, she also did great once we got to the parking lot, it was a busy parking lot near a road although we were away from most of the traffic. Sizzle did a lot better than expected with us, Sherry handed her straight to DH & she was fine. She threw up on the way home, but wasnt nervous acting or anything. Once we got her here we babygated her into the kitchen to drink water because we didnt want her to dehydrate since she had been puking, she drank lots of water. We then introduced her to the pack & she did great with everyone, our intact(soon to be neutered) male was a bit & still is obsessive with her. She is a bit timid with us, doesnt want us picking her up or going up to her and petting her, she will LET us pick her up. She ate her food & will take food from us, she also follows us around so she is doing well. Hopefully she will continue to get better each day!! :D
    edited 6 February, 2011
    That's fantastic to hear! :D Getting everyone in the pack to get to know each other can be rough, it's good to see that Sizzle took readily to having different dogs in her family. :) She'll be all over you with love in no time! We had a couple of my friends come down to stay with us for the past couple of days and Misha did way better than I thought he would. I just kept giving him treats when he was around us. I also had them sit on the floor and I set treats on their legs and hands for him to take. XD By the end of tonight, he was laying with us on the couch and trying to get them to play with him while we were playing video games. :D Though if he weren't such a shy boy that bit might actually be really annoying...but I was just so happy to see him warming up to guests. :3
    edited 6 February, 2011
    Thats awesome Misha!! Esme never has trouble with people in the house, Sizzle is really skittish, she comes to me & wants me to pick her up ALLLL the time now, shes attaching to me really quickly. I am actually thinking about showing her in the altered class, anyone have any thouhgts?
    edited 14 February, 2011
    Hi everyone! We're back from our trip to France! Misha, congrats on the progress! Sizzle, sorry, I don't know anything about showing dogs...have you decided yet though what you want to do? BTW, yes, we think Kiska's leash walking issues are definitely from overstimulation - we walked her at my husband's parents' village and she was fine. She was okay in Paris; she went a little insane a few times, but mostly at peak hours, like when the kids were coming out of school. The weather was unusually warm though so we got to sit outside at a park and just watch some kids playing soccer. Kiska still went crazy though when joggers would run by, so that's something we have to work on. It's relatively warm today in NYC so maybe we will go to the river and sit on a bench and watch all the joggers run by. Also, I just need to rant really quickly - a lot of people in France do not believe in dog training/obedience or socialization (my husband was like, "Duh, we have no dog parks here, no one in this country has ever heard of a dog park!"), so first of all, whenever Kiska met other dogs on the street, they would get really scared of her and start barking at her like crazy, or try to attack her! Then, I don't know what is wrong with people, but they just don't listen! People were always coming up to us trying to pet Kiska - but they didn't even ask permission! They'd just come running up and start aggressively trying to touch her, cooing about how cute she was. My husband and I would say, "Please don't pet her like that, she's very nervous around strangers" and everyone would ignore us! (Well, they'd either say, "Oh, really?" and keep trying to pet her, even though Kiska kept trying to back away, or they'd say, "Oh, well, that's okay, she's too cute!" and keep petting her!) When Kiska tried to dodge their hands petting her head, they'd try to pet her paws or her hindquarters!!!!!! Even when I was holding her in my arms!!!!! And then the children!!! They'd see her from far away and then they would start running to pet her! My husband would tell them, "Don't touch her, because she's very scared of children, but you can let her sniff your hand first" they would completely ignore him, and do the same thing as the adults, trying to pet her really aggressively. It was SOOOOO annoying....so obviously Kiska has not made any progress with strangers and I really hope it doesn't get worse...
    edited 14 February, 2011
    Kiska sounds like you had a good time, although some frustrating times. I have not decided what I'm going to do, my breeder wants me to show her in the altered class, so we'll see. Thats good that you now know what is causing her problems & you can fix it, sounds like you took some steps towards fixing it as well. I really really hate when people don't listen when I tell them not to pet my dog, I know say she will bite you if you force yourself on her, so let her smell your hand first and come to you. It helps a little bit, with children I pull away if they come charging at me & I get down on their level & say "My puppy is a little scared of children so put your hand out, let her sniff it, & then scratch under her chin okay? Don't ever run up & pet a dog you don't know okay?" It has worked alot & I find that alot of children in my area listen to me & if they won't then I stand up & say then you may not pet my dog, if you can't follow my rules. Hope you can get some work in with Kiska, I'm sure you can nip it in the bud in no time :D Things with Sizzle are going great, she has attached to me & is playing now & waggin & being herself. Its great to have 2 AKKs, now I see why you need 2 :c9
    edited 15 February, 2011
    Welcome home to Kiska! :D That sucks that you guys had so much difficulty with other people. :( I know children can be especially difficult no matter where you live, but it just makes it way worse when the adults are the same. So far I have never encountered someone who hasn't asked if it was alright to pet my dog. What they were doing was honestly a really good way to get bit. You gotta be really proud of Kiska for showing so much restraint in this situation. :o Misha has really only met one child so far, and his mother was there to pick him up and explain to him how our dog was scared and you have to be very slow and gentle. It went really well, Misha still looked scared but that's about what I expect lol. We got lucky. XD We get a lot of kids looking at him, but they always seem too afraid to approach on their own. I wonder if it's because he's the grey/white variety? I hear them telling their parents about how we have a fox or a coyote. XD @Sizzle - Sounds like the family's all coming together! :D I really really want another one. :3 But we don't quite have the money to get another pup right now. Does Esme like having someone else at her size and energy level?