Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

When do Akita puppy ears stand upright?

Ray SearanRay Searan FayettevillePosts: 1Member
edited 14 October, 2012 in Akita
Dsuoes anyone know how old Akita puppies usually are before their ears begin to stand upright?

Comments

• Pam LaVignePam LaVigne Posts: 5,251Member
    edited 24 April, 2011
    Hi, The answer to your question is they begin to stand up usually between 10-14 weeks but they still may be a little loose or floppy feeling until around 20 weeks. I am posting with my Kai's photo because you can see the progression from about 48hrs. old to the 20-24 week period on his page by clicking his photo. They may also not both come up at exactly the same time. Kai's left came up first and started firmimg up from the bottom a little sooner than the right. They also take some time to grow into their ears. If you have any other questions please feel free to p-mail me. I have 15yrs. experience with the breed and am always willing to help out people new to the breed. Mika,Kai&Pam
  • panagiotis kkolaspanagiotis kkolas Posts: 2Member
    edited 19 May, 2012
    hellow.i have akita with rotvailer its mix :/ its 4months but the ears its down maybe its stund up and down again i want stun up the ears what can i do plz help me!
  • Pam LaVignePam LaVigne Posts: 5,251Member
    edited 21 May, 2012
    If your pup is mixed with a breed of dog with ears that do not stand it is unlikely to have ears that will stand. At this point there is nothing that can be done. The ears standing up are not an important issue,the fact that you have a healthy,happy puppy that fits your home and lifestyle are what matters. Good Luck to both of you.|bb|
  • amber smithamber smith Posts: 6Member
    edited 14 October, 2012
    my dogs stood up at 3 months usually not till 6 months for some. if its a mix no way to tell