Question about Amoxicillian and diarrhea

Kelly LawKelly Law BuffaloPosts: 10,563Member
edited 9 January, 2012 in Dog Health
I will be doing some research and probably calling the vey,just to check, but I'm just wondering...should I treat the runs that Gypsy is having, due to the antibiotic, or should we just let it happen...meaning not treat the runs? Like I said, I will call the vet, but not sure. If it only happens once after each dose, we could probably handle that without treatment, but we don't know for sure. He did have them once, after his first dose last night.

Comments

• Bella and Daisy BeautifulBella and Daisy Beautiful Posts: 5,136Member
    edited 7 January, 2012
    You can give your dog some probiotics. The diarrhea is generally caused by the antibiotic killing off the good bacteria in the guy, so if you give then back to the dog it generally helps.
  • Kelly LawKelly Law BuffaloPosts: 10,563Member
    edited 7 January, 2012
    Probiotics? Is that like yogurt? If we can do this with him, then it might help. He did just throw up too, but that could have been due to nerves from yesterday.
  • CJ JohnsonCJ Johnson RetfordPosts: 32,402Member
    edited 7 January, 2012
    :-h At the first sign of an upset tummy I give my dogs a dose of probiotics, especially if they're on antibiotics.
    edited 7 January, 2012
    What ones should we get him?
  • NessieNessie Posts: 9,920Member
    edited 7 January, 2012
    You can either use yogurt with live cultures or buy probiotics at the dog store. They are usually a mix.
    edited 7 January, 2012
    Thank you everyone! We will definitely do this with Gyp. |:| |:|
  • Carol PodrazaCarol Podraza Round LakePosts: 151Member
    edited 8 January, 2012
    and see if you can get her to drink a little bit extra. I know its hard to do with a dog, but you dont want her to get dehydrated. I've mixed a little bit of homemade beef stock in the water before to get my guys drinking again. Not much - just enough to entice them to drink. Hope she feels better soon!
    edited 9 January, 2012
    He's doing great Buffy! He's drinking plenty. The antibiotic is doing that. Yogurt is working great and so is giving him the pill at meal time. Thanks to all! |:||:||:||:||:||:|