Food for my Chihuahua

Kelly BoyleKelly Boyle El CentroPosts: 3Member
edited 13 October, 2013 in Chihuahua
I recently found a Chi, literally on my doorstep. My boyfriend and I have decided to keep him if his owners do not come forward. He is a long haired male, who seems to be about 7-8 months according to a neighbor who has about 10 of them. He is fitting in with our other animals, and seems to have adopted us as his family. The only issue we have is we are having a hard time getting him to eat. It seems as though where he was before did not feed him dog food. My boyfriend and I both refuse to give him human food. We picked up some small dog food, science diet brand but he does not want to eat it unless we hand him each kibble. We have given him wet (generic brand), but that doesn't seem to be working. We have mixed them, put an egg in it and all we get is a nibble here and there. I would think that once he is hungry enough that he will eat whatever we have out for him, but it's going on 3 days and the best we have gotten him to eat is a few dog treats (I know the dog treats may not be helping but we need to get something in him) and some pieces of kibble. He has been munching down on the cat food a bit also. Are there any recommendations to a brand or type of food we can give him to make him eat some more. He is a bit skinny and we want to put some meat on his bones. Open to any suggestions, Thank you

Comments

• Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 13 February, 2012
    Try Wellness, small breed Puppy food. Extra small kibble for tiny mouths and lots of good stuff in there! The only kibble my Chi pup would eat and it's really good for them!! =;
  • Kelly BoyleKelly Boyle El CentroPosts: 3Member
    edited 14 February, 2012
    We were finally able to get him to eat. We put water in with his food and he gobbled it down. I'm sure he needs to adjust to harder food, since it seems as though he has only been feed soft human food. We may give that food a try though, thank you
  • Gilda NonymousGilda Nonymous Los AngelesPosts: 240Member
    edited 14 February, 2012
    Since he's a foundling, make sure he's got all his shots, AND that you worm him. People do not realize how prevalent things like roundworm can be in pups.
  • Kelly BoyleKelly Boyle El CentroPosts: 3Member
    edited 14 February, 2012
    Yea, we are taking him to the vet tomorrow to get completely checked out. We both never thought we would ever have a Chihuahua but I have to admit that he is a great little dog to have.
  • sherry hansensherry hansen harrison hot springsPosts: 2Member
    edited 17 February, 2012
    The adoration of Chihuahua's .......My wee man, now aged 10 years, has been on The Royal Canin Chihuahua (protein 28) dry pebble food, since he was about 10 months. The pebble dry is MADE for their mouths. They have few teeth, and the SIZE is perfect !!! If you GOOGLE Royal Canin Chihuahua protein 28, there is NOT ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT THE BRAND. My wee Perry simply loves it, He is NEVER, EVER SICK !! The Royal Canin also has the HEART ENZYME and JOINT FORMULA Contained.....Chihuahuas are prone to heart disease and weakened joints...My wee man, so the vet says, has a heart like a 5 yr old...He acts like he IS 5, but really 10.....I know he is going to make it to age 15, and I thank ROYAL CANIN.....He is my ALL, and I feel that I am giving him the very best of food, and he has had it practically from day one, well, age 10 months.....If you give the best of foods, that assures FEWER if ANY Vet bills.....I am most happy indeed.....Pats for your new addition !
  • sherry hansensherry hansen harrison hot springsPosts: 2Member
    edited 17 February, 2012
    The adoration of Chihuahua's .......My wee man, now aged 10 years, has been on The Royal Canin Chihuahua (protein 28) dry pebble food, since he was about 10 months. The pebble dry is MADE for their mouths. They have few teeth, and the SIZE is perfect !!! If you GOOGLE Royal Canin Chihuahua protein 28, there is NOT ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT THE BRAND. My wee Perry simply loves it, He is NEVER, EVER SICK !! The Royal Canin also has the HEART ENZYME and JOINT FORMULA Contained.....Chihuahuas are prone to heart disease and weakened joints...My wee man, so the vet says, has a heart like a 5 yr old...He acts like he IS 5, but really 10.....I know he is going to make it to age 15, and I thank ROYAL CANIN.....He is my ALL, and I feel that I am giving him the very best of food, and he has had it practically from day one, well, age 10 months.....If you give the best of foods, that assures FEWER if ANY Vet bills.....I am most happy indeed.....Pats for your new addition !
  • Zsolt MolnarZsolt Molnar Posts: 2Member
    edited 13 May, 2013
    There's a few factors to take in consideration when it comes to feeding a Chihuahua. Visit our site for more information: http://www.chihuahuapuppytraining.com/category/feeding-a-chihuahua/
  • Rose ThompsonRose Thompson Posts: 2Member
    edited 2 August, 2013
    I bought Wellness, small breed Puppy food. Extra small kibble, and my baby goes and gets her big brothers Pedigree dog food all the time and hardly eats her own, not sure to change her food or not :-k maybe that is what the breeder fed her :((
  • Gilda NonymousGilda Nonymous Los AngelesPosts: 240Member
    edited 27 August, 2013
    We feed Stella & Chewy's freezedried food, exclusively. Both of our Chi's thrive on it. Their favorite is the lamb.
  • Fuchs MighterFuchs Mighter Posts: 1Member
    edited 16 October, 2013
    Chihuahuas can usually live up to 13 years, however our old Chihuahua reached almost 15 years. She probably had great nutrition. I took some tips and tricks from this website (http://www.chiwawadog.com/) many years ago. I think it helped:) It may help you too. Bye:)