Eating Habits

Stephanie DeBlaseStephanie DeBlase CentrevillePosts: 38Member
edited 8 March, 2014 in Akita
This is the first Akita that I have owned and she is 2 years old now. She isn't a big eater and I didn't know if that was a common thing for the breed. She just doesn't like to eat very much. According to the feeding guidelines of her food, she should be eating like 6 cups for her weight lol. She might eat 2 to 4 at most. She weighs about 85 pounds, but I think that she looks a little thin for her height and length. I'm probably just overreacting because I tend to do that when it comes to the dogs lol. Anyways, I'm just curious about how much your Akita eats. Thanks!

Comments

• Pam LaVignePam LaVigne Posts: 5,251Member
    edited 9 March, 2012
    I can't tell just how big she is,but she looks wonderful. With 16 years research and 3 Akita's worth,I can tell you that even my monster boy Kai only eats about 3 cups per day at most,which is about half of what most bags of food including the Blue Buffalo Wilderness that I feed mine which is good quality and grain free. Eating less than another breed of a similar size is typical for most Akita's and most,though not all will self regulate food,that is you can put it in their bowl and they will eat what they want,not all you put out just because it's there. Hope that helps reassure you. If you run into anything you are curious about or I can help with,feel free to p-mail me anytime at Mika&Kai's page.
    edited 9 March, 2012
    Just another little note,she will look a bit thin and lanky until around age 3. That is also typical to the breed since 3 is when they actually reach full maturity.
  • Stephanie DeBlaseStephanie DeBlase CentrevillePosts: 38Member
    edited 9 March, 2012
    That definitely makes me feel better. I didn't know if it was common of the breed or if perhaps she picked it up from her Husky brother who doesn't eat regularly. We like to say that he watches his figure lol. I used to open bowl feed her, but decided to give her 2 cups twice a day and take it up if she didn't eat. That didn't seem to help either. I guess she just doesn't eat much. I do feed her a high quality grain free food and she gets plenty of exercise. That was actually another question I had. I've read that they mature between 3 and 4 years of age. I've noticed that she has filled out a good bit in the past few months, but her head hasn't grown to "full Akita size". Will her head widen in the next year or two? Both the dam and sire of her litter have large, broad heads.
    edited 10 March, 2012
    Her head will definately get larger but it's hard to say just how much. Kai's parents both had very broad,large heads as well.Since he is only 2 as well,we can't say how much larger his will get than it already is,but I do know they can be as old as 5 before the filling out is completely done as far as their heads. One generation back also is not a great indicator,there can be dogs further back in the pedigree with slightly smaller heads that can pop up at any time down the road for a few generations anyway.
    edited 10 March, 2012
    I guess only time will tell, but either way she is still Momma's Girl and I love her just the way she is! haha
    edited 10 March, 2012
    I'm sure you do. I had my Akita/GSD mix and I have referred to her and elsewhere as my Akita in GSD clothing. She if you know the breed looked like a little of both,but most people took her as an off standard GSD. Her pic is at the bottom of M&K's page. She stole my heart and was the best dog I ever had. There are alot of Akita owners who have pretty much left Dogster now,that feel as I do,once you own a good Akita,no other breed will ever be right for you. Akina is absolutely beautiful,but I'm sure you feel the way I do,the outside is simply a reflection of the beauty on the inside.
  • Debra FletcherDebra Fletcher Posts: 23Member
    edited 13 March, 2012
    what else do you feed her besides kibble?
    edited 18 March, 2012
    She gets 2 small treats w/ her meds twice a day and usually one more larger treat at bed time. Everything she eats is high quality. No doggy junk foods.
    edited 19 March, 2012
    My pups do not get "junk- Food" either but I do give them each between 4 and 6 oz. of chicken,beef,or fish, or 2 eggs scrambled daily as well as their kibble. Mika at age 5 is trim and of her ideal weight,Kai at 2 and a half is still lean and a bit lanky,but his Dad did not completely fill out until after age 3. Perhaps adding some meat or fish( I cook mine)or even some canned food would get Akina to eat a bit more and gain weight a bit faster.Mine always get their food after we eat dinner as their "dinner" again they do not get leftovers or junk but something made specifically for them cooked at the same time but different pan,no seasonings. I do not give my pups pork because Mika has shown a sensitivity to it,and to avoid issues I give them both the same thing. Just a suggestion.
    edited 19 March, 2012
    Akina was getting homecooked food for a while because she had calcium oxalate crystals, but she still wasn't a big eater. I usually try to avoid giving them meat because then Denali (my Husky) will hold out on his food because he thinks he'll be getting something special, even if I only give it to her. He probably lost a few pounds while she was on the homecooked diet lol. Thanks for the suggestion though! We even tried raw for a while and she totally refused to eat it, which I thought was strange. I wasn't so sure about it myself though lol. I'm beginning to think that maybe she just doesn't eat as much as I feel like she should be eating. She isn't underweight, so there is probably nothing to be concerned about.
  • Debra FletcherDebra Fletcher Posts: 23Member
    edited 20 March, 2012
    actually I was thinking more along the lines of, how many times a week does she get spaghetti dinner with meat balls, pizza, roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy, lasagna, stir fry, fried chicken, scrambled eggs, etc. These were the types of food items I was thinking of besides kibble. My Akita's get their own plate of whatever it is I'm eating for that day. I feed them kibble too but I change it every time I have to purchase a new bag.
    edited 7 April, 2012
    We have established a new feeding schedule for Akina. She's not much of a "morning dog" :)) and she just didn't want to eat very much in the morning and I noticed that after I brought her in from her last walk of the night (around 11:00pm) she would lick her empty bowl. I was giving her 2 cups twice a day and she just wasn't eating it. So, her new schedule is 1 1/2 cups in the am, 1 1/2 cups around dinner time, and 1 cup at night. She has eaten all of her food the past few days :) I have also been adding a little bit of bottled water to her food and she seems to like that as well. I'm really happy that we finally found a feeding schedule that works for her!
    edited 11 April, 2012
    Akina- so glad she is eating better for you. Mine tend to be a little food after dinner,the meat they are given seems to stimulate their appetite and then again in the wee hours of the morning when hubby is getting ready for work. We leave kibble down all the time because mine have never settled on a specific time to eat and tend to be great at self regulation. If mealtimes work better for her then stick with it. Having two of them and bowls that are always full has actually helped me end food agression issues with Mika. I usually don't give advice on how or when to feed except with small puppies who need to eat often,aside from that I think it something that isn't an issue as long as it works for the dog and the person/people involved.=;|bb|
  • JACOB BJACOB B Posts: 2Member
    edited 8 March, 2014
    I HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD FEMALE THAT WEIGHS ABOUT 105 LBS AND A BIG 3 YEAR OLD MALE WEIGHING A STRONG 135 LBS. NOW I HAVE TWO DAUGHTERS AND A WIFE THAT USED TO FEED TABLE FOOD TO MY DOGS AND THEY ALSO BECAME VERY PICKY EATERS. WHAT I ENDED UP DOING WAS COOKING PLAIN SCRAMBLED EGGS FOR THEM AND PUTTING IT INTO THEIR DRY FOOD WHEN IT WAS TIME TO EAT. NOW EGGS ARE VERY GOOD FOR THEIR SKIN AND COAT AND THEY ALSO FEEL LIKE THEY ARE GETTING FOOD THAT WE ALSO EAT. AFTER A BIT I WOULD START CUTTING DOWN HOW OFTEN I GAVE THEM EGGS AND EVENTUALLY THEY GOT TO THE POINT WHERE THEY WILL EAT THEIR DOG FOOD. I WILL STILL GIVE THEM EGGS AS A SPECIAL TREAT BUT THEY DONT GET TABLE FOOD FROM MY FAMILY ANYMORE AND THAT IS WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN FIRST.