Losing fur on ears.

Rosabel QuangRosabel Quang Posts: 7Member
edited 8 July, 2012 in Akita
Hi everyone. I have a 3 month old Akita puppy who has lost a lot of the fur on her ears, and now there are some bald patches. Can anyway tell me what this is? Thanks! Rosabel

Comments

• Pam LaVignePam LaVigne Posts: 5,251Member
    edited 29 June, 2012
    I can't tell you specifically what it is because I just don't have enough information. I can however share some possibilities with you: 1. Fly Strikes from being bitten by flies while outside. 2.thyroid condition- Blood test needed. 3. Flea or environmental allergy- vet needed to determine treatment. 4. Mange- proper diagnosis and treatment needed by vet. Basically,I would get your puppy to the vet and find out exactly what you are dealing with and the appropriate treatment for it. I have given you the four most common reasons for hairloss on head and ears. It is up to you to get her to the vet to find out which if any it is,what else it could be,and how to treat it.|bb|
  • Rosabel QuangRosabel Quang Posts: 7Member
    edited 29 June, 2012
    Thanks! Those seem likely, when we take her to the vet for her third round of shots which is very, very soon, I'll make sure to ask the vet. Also, i was wondering if it was because my dad keeps on feeding her stuff like ham and other cooked meats? The breeder already told us that things that she'd never tasted before can give her skin problems...
  • April ShuylerApril Shuyler Posts: 640Member
    edited 30 June, 2012
    If she's eating something she's not supposed to, it's possible that it could be allergies. What food do you feed her? If it has any kind of grains or corn in it, get rid of it IMMEDIATELY. Corn is the number one cause of allergic reactions in dogs, followed by grains. You can Google on Dog Food Analysis to get more information on different dog foods.
    edited 30 June, 2012
    As Lobo mentioned food allergies are a possibility. She really does need to see a vet to determine exactly what the problem is but a good quality grain-free food like Blue Buffalo Wilderness or their new Freedom line wouldn't hurt. I would also recommend not giving her any table food like ham or smoked meats at all they are far too salty and not at all healthy for dogs. Anything containing soy should also be avoided,that includes food or treats. Even if the change in diet seems to help please make sure you have the other things checked out. |bb|
    edited 3 July, 2012
    Her breeder told us to strictly eat Purina Pro Plan Chicken with Rice & Lamb with Rice. I think it has wheat in it, but doesn't have any corn. I am going to the vet tomorrow anyway, so we'll see.
  • Tiffany HallTiffany Hall San DiegoPosts: 10Member
    edited 4 July, 2012
    Hope you got some good news from the vet. Sure hope it wasn't flies on dogs ears that caused the problem, they carry many diseases.
    edited 4 July, 2012
    Okay... So today my dad and sister took her to the vet (Banfield Hospital in PetsMart)to get her third round of shots and to see why is was losing fur on her ears but she refused to get out of the car. The vet tried to grab her out of the car, and then she bit him. Ehhh....the poor gentleman wasn't angry and told us that he understood, but we still felt bad, and because of that she needed to get a rabies shot so the "next time" she ever bit someone it would be harmless, although I must insist that we will try to prevent that from happening. He thinks that he was bitten because she was scared since not all of her family members were with her (she's used to having me, my brother, mom with my dad and sister). Anyway, she successfully got her third round of shots and her rabies shot, but to found out about her ears, they had to do a skin scrape that cost up to $100, so my dad refused. Luckily, it isn't really severe. The patches are just the same as it is, and her breeder told us to give her a flea and tick bath and stop feeding her the beef and rice formula of Purina Pro Plan. And no, I don't think it is flies on ears because not a single fly has touched her, if that's the case.
    edited 5 July, 2012
    I know the skin scrape can be expensive but really is necessary. A flea bath is not going to magically fix this,you really need to know what it is. If I had listened to the vet we normally used with my first Akita,she would have been euthanized,the same with the second because both refused to do the skin scrape or bloodwork and insisted it was mange which at that time was not treatable,we knew it was not flies,because she was an inside dog,it turned out only through ruling out a thyroid problem with bloodwork and doing the skin scrape,did we discover it was severe flea dermatitis,there are many newer better treatments out there now but at that time the only thing that allowed her to have a happy,healthy life,was steriod injections mixed with an antihistamine twice yearly and antibiotics for secondary infections,along with Advantage to control fleas. Purina Pro Plan is a very low quality food and not at all suitable for an Akita's needs,no matter what your breeder says,they tell you that because they get special discounts and free puppy packs from the company to promote their products. I am not trying to be rude or mean but if you can't afford,or are unwilling to pay to care for your Akita properly,it might be best to return it to the breeder for a refund and rehoming. I do not breed Akitas but have more than 16 years experience researching and raising them. It takes alot of time and energy and can be costly to raise them especially if they have health issues,if you haven't done at least some research,are not prepared for taking care of their needs,or giving them proper health care,the best thing to do is not get an Akita.|bb| to you on getting your pup healthy on the wrong food and without proper vet care.:((
    edited 5 July, 2012
    Mika, you are not being rude I understand. I'm just lost on what to do now. I did ask my sister why she and dad didn't accept the skin scrape because it could've solved everything. Also, our puppy is allergic to whatever else she eats besides Purina Pro Plan so I'm a sitting duck on the subject. Sorry for being a totally flop.
    edited 5 July, 2012
    Besides the Purina Pro Plan what have you tried her on,and what reaction did she have? How did you go about switching food? You seem to really care and want to do right by your little one,so I will try to help if I can. Is there antother clinic near you that might be cheaper? I don't know much about the Banfield Clinics at Petco because ours does not have one. I actually drive 30 miles one way to see the vet we use because he is much more affordable,knows as much or more about Akitas than I do,and was the one who saved my Mattie from being euthanized at only 8 months because of taking the time to do the appropriate testing. How old are you? Is there any type of job you could do to get the money for the skin scrape yourself? I am more than happy to try to work with you to do the best for your puppy because you really seem to want to do that. If you can p-mail me and we'll see what we can come up with,if not post here and I will try to help as much as I can. M&K's mom,Pam
    edited 8 July, 2012
    Lobo has an autoimmune disorder(at least, that's the Western-medicine term for it; my Hollistic vet described him as being a "hot" and "wet" dog; if you're interested, just ask) and it started with him losing fur around his eyes. Are the puppy's ears dry, or are they kind of wet? I have a Hollistic vet, and although there are - unfortunately - a lot of Hollistic vets who are expensive, thankfully, mine is quite cheap. Lobo is fed the prey-model raw diet, and that has also helped his issues, but if it's something you're unwilling to learn about, just do a search on Dog Food Analysis to find a good, high-quality food. My grandparents' dog, Poppy, is fed Taste of the Wild, and he's doing amazing on that, and really loves it. If you do decide to feed kibble, I recommend also including a little bit of wet food. This is to not only make the food more enticing, it also makes it so she can get as much liquid as possible. Poppy doesn't drink a lot of water, but he's extremely active, so we've had to include some canned Taste of the Wild along wit the kibble to make sure he doesn't dehydrate. Lobo's food, raw, includes plenty of water in it, too. Also, I have to say, don't always listen to just ONE vet. You should get multiple different opinions. I dropped my old vet as soon as she tried to blame all of the dogs' problems on the raw meat that they eat. It took me a while to find Trisha Ballard, the Hollistic vet that Lobo now sees, but it was SO worth it
    edited 8 July, 2012
    (um... it's not posting my whole post, so I'm continuing here) She's very intelligent and caring. ^^ But even so, if there was ever something serious with Lobo(again) I wouldn't just listen to her. I'd try to get opinions from others, as well. I don't want to seem... well, I don't know what I'd seem like, but I do want to point out that it's possible she's having an allergic reaction to the vaccinations. It's unfortunately common, as the vaccines are quite literally poison that's being injected. I talked a lot. :)) If you want any explanations on anything I said, just ask.