Scruffy is very sick

Nicole KoleszarNicole Koleszar Posts: 2,761Member
edited 11 April, 2014 in Get Well Soon
Scruffy was recently diagnosed with Kidney Disease & under sized kidneys. He had been doing well for a while on the plan his vet put together but for the past couple weeks he has been steadily going downhill. He's been having mushy stools, his Acid Reflux has been getting worse, his energy level has been going down and he seems mopey all the time, and he's been drinking a lot. I took him back to the vet today and he is dehydrated, he lost quite a bit of weight, his white blood cell count was up, and his BUN was up slightly. The vet said the BUN being up and the white blood cell count could be because he is dehydrated. She also listened to his lungs and she said it sounds like there is something in there and the white blood cell count being up could be part of that too. Because he isn't doing well we are trying a new med for his Reflux and we are trying a little bit of a prescription diet mixed into his food to see if that helps to stop the diarrhea. The vet said because of the family history this could be something other than Kidney Disease, the vet said he could have an autoimmune disorder. We lost his litter mate, Starr, to an eerily similar illness. For now we are putting that on the back burner but keeping it in mind because we are trying the food and medicine first. Please send some healing vibes to Scruffy and please pray for him.

Comments

• Lucille PLucille P Posts: 3,390Member
    edited 25 July, 2012
    Thinking positive thoughts and sending prayers for Scruffy! |:||:||:| I do hope he recovers soon!
  • HannaBelleHannaBelle HoustonPosts: 18,363Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July, 2012
    Sending prayers for Scruffy! |:||:||:|

"Dogs are miracles with paws.” — Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

• Nicole KoleszarNicole Koleszar Posts: 2,761Member
    edited 25 July, 2012
    Thank you so much!
  • Pam LaVignePam LaVigne Posts: 5,251Member
    edited 25 July, 2012
    Hugs,Prayers and paw power being sent to Scruffy. Hope the new treatment works for him.|:||bb|
  • edited 25 July, 2012
    |:| to you & Scruffy. Sending POTP your way. Let's hope for the best. We're here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on.|:||:|
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 July, 2012
    Get Well Soon!!! |:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||bb||bb|
    edited 25 July, 2012
    Thank you!! He's doing a bit better now. His gums have some more color to them and he doesn't seem quite so mopey and lethargic-y now. Hopefully he continues to improve. Thanks again everyone!!
  • OnyxOnyx Posts: 3,322Member
    edited 26 July, 2012
    POTP for Scruffy |:|
  • Leah StratesLeah Strates Posts: 2,684Member
    edited 26 July, 2012
    Paws crossed for Scruffy! |:|
    edited 26 July, 2012
    Thanks again everyone!! I really hope this new RX food helps firm up his stools because he's had really poor stools for like nearly a year now and literally nothing we have tried has helped his stools so far. :-/
  • nathalie zeulevoetnathalie zeulevoet Posts: 5,016Member
    edited 26 July, 2012
    |:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:|
  • Michelle BrundrettMichelle Brundrett Grand PrairiePosts: 405Member
    edited 27 July, 2012
    Sending prayers to Scruffy!!|:||:||:||:||:|
  • Jacqueline GonzalvesJacqueline Gonzalves AtwaterPosts: 13,637Member ✭✭
    edited 27 July, 2012
    POTP for Scruff-man! Do you like canned pumpkin? have you tried it? We adore it. Yummy and the "great poopie equalizer". Feel great soon!|:||:||:||:|
  • Natasha ANatasha A Southern BCPosts: 2,456Member
    edited 27 July, 2012
    POTP for Scruffy! Hope you start feeling better soon! |:|
    edited 27 July, 2012
    Hope Scruffy is feeling better soon. |:||:||:||:||:||:||bb| Please keep us posted on how he is doing. Thanks.|:||:|:f
    edited 27 July, 2012
    Thanks again everyone!! We've tried pumpkin, it just turned his stool orange. The vet put him on Hill's W/D and his stool is improving! He still seems a bit dehydrated though. I've been giving him Pedialite and he's been drinking water on his own. His gums seem less pale than yesterday, but they are still a bit pale, and they still feel a bit tacky.
    edited 28 July, 2012
    |:||:||:||:||:||bb| and get well soon Scruffy.|:| to family. We hope things continue to improve and know how difficult it is to deal with when our pups are not well. Take Care of yourself and each other and know that we are thinking of you and continuing to pray for you. Get better soon!!!:) and please keep us posted when you can. Send this|:| to Lily as well.
  • Dawn FryDawn Fry LancasterPosts: 29Member ✭✭
    edited 28 July, 2012
    We hope you feel better soon Scruffy. |:|
    edited 31 July, 2012
    I don't know what to say. I don't know if I can even put my feelings into writing as of now. I feel physically ill...like I can't breath....or like I'm gonna be sick.....Scruffy just is not staying hydrated. He seemed like he was getting better and earlier today I checked his gums and they were pale and really tacky so I gave him Pedialite and it helped a bit. I emailed the vet with an update on him and she said she wished she had a miracle cure to fix his kidneys and something about quality of life that I can't remember right now since I'm just so upset. I kept thinking does this mean he's dieing? If he's dieing why didn't she just come out an say so!? I didn't put that in my reply, I just asked about Diabetes Insipidus and a little more on how he was doing on the food. DI might be a stretch but maybe it's worth throwing it out there? He seems hungrier now on the new RX food....even though he gets a little bit extra because to make him drink the Pedialite I float some of his food in it. It just hit me like a ton of bricks that I might be losing my baby soon. The thought was always in the back of my mind but now I can't stop crying. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to help him.
    edited 31 July, 2012
    |:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:| I p-mailed you.|bb|
  • Lya AshleyLya Ashley SmethportPosts: 5,878Member
    edited 31 July, 2012
    |:||:||:|'s and Prayers for Scruffy, feel better :f
    edited 31 July, 2012
    I would come right out and ask the vet if his time is close. Even though we are never prepared, at least you will know what to expect. My heart goes out to you. |:||:||:| I'm sorry you're going through this. |:||:| I will say that sometimes (at least my vet does) the vets feel as bad as you do and they are reluctant to tell you the truth. So, I would just ask. |:|
    edited 31 July, 2012
    I know that my Vet feels bad. She has been so helpful and caring in regards to Scruffy. Back when he was first diagnosed with undersized kidneys the vet said that it would shorten his life but that we would do all that we can for him. Right now he still seems like he wants to hang around. He's still happy and playful and wants to eat and drink and cuddle. His old vet mentioed DI before. He got really sick last summer and had dilute urine and was drinking tons of water and was dehydrated. He seemed to improve though but his urine has been dilute for like a year. He's always been weird about water, when he drinks he drinks all at once. I will definatly be talking to the vet more.
  • Jacqueline GonzalvesJacqueline Gonzalves AtwaterPosts: 13,637Member ✭✭
    edited 31 July, 2012
    When I lost my first, Kody, no one ever told me he was dying. They told me he was very sick. Had I known what he was going through, I would have done things differently, but maybe they thought they were doing me a favor not telling me the truth, knowing how much I loved him. I'm so sorry. I know cats respond well to subcutaneous fluids. I don't know about dogs. Is that an option?
    edited 1 August, 2012
    How's Scruffy today?
    edited 2 August, 2012
    First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the continued support & prayers. It really means a lot to me! Thank you so much everyone! Scruffy seems to be doing better. Yesterday he had a good day. Today he's been napping all day but that's nothing out of the ordinary! :)) He's still playful, happy and wants cuddles. His energy seems to be picking up a bit and he doesn't seem quite as lathargic. Before he would lag behind on walks and would only perk up once we were heading home and now so far he isn't lagging behind anymore and seems to be enjoying walks again. He's been so hungry on this new RX food though. The vet wanted us to mix the RX food with the food he was on and that's what we've been doing and his stool has been improving. The new Acid Reflux med seems to be helping as well.
    edited 2 August, 2012
    ~a~ That's good news.:)
    edited 10 August, 2012
    Scruffy isn't doing too well today. :( His gums are pale and he is a bit lethargic. When I took him out to potty he plopped down and threw up 3 times. It was hardly anything but he hasn't thrown up in months. :( I fed him and gave him some Pedialite and now he wants to go to sleep.
    edited 10 August, 2012
    Poor Scruffy.|:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:| Hope he is feeling much better soon.
  • OnyxOnyx Posts: 3,322Member
    edited 10 August, 2012
    |:||:||:|