Scruffy is very sick

Comments

• Nicole KoleszarNicole Koleszar Posts: 2,761Member
    edited 14 August, 2012
    Scruffy has been doing ok. I guess he just had a really bad day. I'm still not sure what set him off like that though. He is still getting randomly dehydrated. :( Last time I emailed the vet she said the inability to concentrate urine will eventually become fatal. She said she doesn't think it's DI but we can test for it if we want to. :( I need to pick up more of his meds tomorrow so hopefully I can talk to the vet some more then.
  • Peggy CaetanoPeggy Caetano Posts: 1,366Member
    edited 14 August, 2012
    We are praying for Scruffy! our cat sisfur has CRF and we know how serious this is...you are in our thoughts and prayers
    edited 1 September, 2012
    UPDATE: Scruffy has been doing well, he even gained back a little bit of the weight he has lost from being really sick. He really likes his RX diet/food combination and he been great on it. ~a~ I think I also figured out what was making him so dehydrated and sick. Following his once or twice a week treat/chew he would get dehydrated/sick shortly afterwards. Since cutting out those treats he's been doing really well. Too bad those were his favorite treats.
  • Pam LaVignePam LaVigne Posts: 5,251Member
    edited 1 September, 2012
    Glad to hear he is doing better.:D;c; So sorry he had to give-up his favorite treats:(( We had to have our pups give up alot of treats due to problems with grain and all of the rawhides seem to contain pork of some kind so we have just been making our own,usually jerky in the dehydrator.|bb| on finding another treat scruffy likes.
    edited 1 September, 2012
    Thanks Mika & Kai!! :) At least he isn't too picky, so hopefully we can find him something that won't make him dehydrated and sick.
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 September, 2012
    We are glad he's doing well......|/h/|;c;%:D%=;|$||:|
    edited 2 September, 2012
    Thanks Kali!!! :)
    edited 4 September, 2012
    |:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:| and hoping Scruffy is still improving. We also hope that you have had some sucess in finding something he likes as a treat.Have you tried something as simple as a RMB? I know that excess protein can be hard on stressed kidneys but if it is just a little meat it may be okay. |:||:||:||:||bb||bb||bb||bb| to you both.
    edited 4 September, 2012
    RMBs, Bully sticks, and Himalayan Dog Chews set off dehydration and make him sick.
    edited 6 September, 2012
    Poor Scruffy.|:||:||:||:||:| There has to be somethin out there,maybe just some extra cuddles.|bb| Scruffy we certainly adore you.:f
    edited 7 September, 2012
    Yeah, hopefully we can find something! Awww, thanks, we adore you too! :B:f
  • HannaBelleHannaBelle HoustonPosts: 18,363Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 September, 2012
    Scruffy, get better soon! =;

"Dogs are miracles with paws.” — Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

edited 31 October, 2012
    UPDATE: Just got back from the vet with Scruffy. The good news is, his Creatinine is the same and his BUN is normal. Everything else was normal too. He's lost some weight, he went from 49lbs to 47lbs. We're not really concerned, unless he keeps losing weight. The vet said that she is really happy how well he doing, she said that she originally gave him 6 months before he started going down hill!! She said whatever we are doing, it's working. She said he looks so much better and happier. He is still having dilute urine, which is expected. He is still having dehydration issues, but he wasn't too dehydrated, but the vet gave him SubQ fluids, and showed me how to do it. The vet said that because his blood work looked good that we can give fluids twice a week. Since he is still having issues with digestion and food, she said what I was describing sounding like EPI and to try enzymes and very very slowly try adding more food since he is only eating 1 cup of food a day. ~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~ Oh, and they found an engorged tick on him and took it off! So annoyed because I checked him and missed that little bugger. Ugh....darn ticks. Ticks are getting really bad here now.
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 October, 2012
    So glad he's doing great! |$||/h/|;c;
    edited 1 November, 2012
    Thanks Kali!! The vet was like, oh my gosh, he's doing so well for a terminally ill dog! |$| Scruffy will be happy to start getting an increase in his food. :)) I really hope this time he can handle it, last time we tried a bit of an increase he got bad tummy aches, but maybe now that everything with him has settled down a bit he can handle it a bit better this time.
    edited 1 November, 2012
    Glad to hear that Scruffy is doing better.;c;=;~a~ Hope things continue to improve and that the increase in food does not cause a setback.|:||bb|
    edited 1 November, 2012
    Thanks Mika & Kai!!
    edited 4 November, 2012
    Just remembered, the vet said it would be really unlikely and weird for him to have EPI and kidney issues at he same time, but given his family history he just might and if he is still having food and digestion issues then we could test for it later. I mentioned that his sister seemed like she had EPI and we were shocked that she tested negative for it. The vet also suggested he could have something wrong that makes swallowing difficult for him, so for now I'm using an elevated feeder for him. So far, he's been doing well on his small increase of food. After a week we can try increasing his food again and see how that goes. :)
    edited 4 November, 2012
    |:||:||:||:| Hoping for the best. Poor Scruffy could use a break.Lily as well and I'm sure you could also use a bit of a break from the constant worry about their health issues,I remember how stressful it was for me with my Mattie trying to find anything that made her itch less and enjoy more while keeping the necessity of using long acting steroids to a minimum to treat her severe allergies.|:||bb|:m when you can.
    edited 5 November, 2012
    Yeah, we all could defiantly use a break! :)) Lily has been doing well. We switched her food and it that cleared up her dry flaky skin. Turns out she was allergic to potato. Her urinalysis recheck came back normal. Her anxiety has improved tremendously since we started her on Pro-sense Anti-Stress Calming Tabs. They contain Chamomile, Ginger, and Valerian Root. They have worked so well for Lily that the one say the vet called me and asked what I was using for Lily because she wanted to suggest them to an other client.
    edited 8 November, 2012
    I'm very happy to hear thar Lily is doing so much better,and Scruffy to an extent as well. I just know as a pawrent to a very sick dog as I was with Mattie no one thinks of the constant stress we pawrents have in finding the best solutions for our pups or in trying to keep them feeling well for any length of time and just wanted to let you know we were thinking of you and wishing you as well as the pups the best. I truly understand how hard it is on a person when you are trying everything and still you watch your beloved pals not feeling their best or enjoying life fully.|:||:||:||:||bb| to you for all you endure in helping Scruffy and Lily. If you ever need anything I am a p-mail away. Mika &Kai's Mom,Pam
    edited 9 November, 2012
    Thank you so much Pam! I truly appreciate it. :B
  • Suzanne CheshireSuzanne Cheshire Posts: 3,748Member
    edited 30 November, 2012
    Hi Scruffy, I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how you're doing. Mom has been dealing with Zane's sickness, he's in the hospital. Please keep me updated.
    edited 30 November, 2012
    I'm sorry Zane has been hospitalized. :( Sending you some healing vibes. |:||:||:| Keep us posted! Scruffy has been doing well.
    edited 30 November, 2012
    I'm so glad you're doing better. Zane says thank you for your gift, it means alot! You can read about Zane in my brother, Monty's diary, just posted today. Thank you, Scruffy!
    edited 7 December, 2012
    You're welcome Foxie! :) How is Zane doing? Scruffy had a rough night. He had a really bad Reflux flare up that lasted for about 2 and half hours. He was constantly lip smacking and at one point he started shivering. He stated pacing up and down the stairs and was standing hunched up. I ended up giving him two Tums and half a pill of his regular Reflux meds before he was comfortable again. Today he was lip smacking a lot again. :( He hasn't had a flare up like that in a long time.
    edited 7 December, 2012
    :B:B:B:B:B:B to Scruffy,hope he is feeling much better soon.:f
    edited 11 December, 2012
    Scruffy is doing better, but he is still lip smacking a lot. The vet wants to try a different reflux med for him so I'm going to pick that up tomorrow. I also want to know what Scruffy weighs, so he gets to tag along. :))
    edited 11 December, 2012
    Hope the new meds help. Hang in there.|:||:||:||:||:||bb|
    edited 30 December, 2012
    Hi Scruffy! I hope you're feeling better and hope you had a good Christmas. I had a checkup and it's not good news. You can read the whole thing in my diary. It's kidneys-glomerular disease. Mom's not sure what to feed me now.