What is my Aussie mixed with?

Ptolema HarrisonPtolema Harrison Posts: 2Member
edited 24 September, 2014 in Australian Shepherd
Hi! I have wondered from the day we brought him home if he was purebred.. He was advertised as 100% Australian Shepherd on a classified page and when we met to buy him the man went on and on about how he paid big bucks for his dogs and this and that. He had puppy mange when we got him so we had talked him down to 50.00. The puppy mange has since cleared, but his coat isn't nearly as long as most Aussies I've ever seen. I've also read that working Aussies have shorter coats. Could this be from the puppy mange and his coat hasn't fully come in, is he a working stock Aussie, or is he simply just a mix breed? If anyone has an opinion id love to hear. The picture on my page is what he looks like now. He's 5 months old weighing 30 pounds & very long legged. I love him either way, it's just something I've always wondered about. THANKS!

Comments

• Jess DavisJess Davis Posts: 833Member
    edited 9 September, 2014
    It's difficult to tell from one photo, but in my estimation he's a mix. What he's mixed with, precisely, is difficult to tell. Perhaps a short coated border collie? Short coats are normally dominant to long. Does he ever exhibit crouched down stalking behaviour?
  • Ptolema HarrisonPtolema Harrison Posts: 2Member
    edited 11 September, 2014
    I've never seen him do that.. I get a lot that people think he looks like a blue heeler & I just don't see it.. He's very long legged. So I googled what a 5 mo old heeler looked like to compare size and a picture came up of an aussie and heeler mix and it was almost identical to him.. I guess it will always be a mystery.. Who knows?! Do you think he definitely has aussie in him? Literally everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I say he's aussie mix..
  • Joyce AtkinsJoyce Atkins PortlandPosts: 653Member
    edited 14 September, 2014
    He looks like he might have some Catahoula Leopard Dog in him. Look them up on the internet. They are a great dog, mellow like Aussies.
  • Jess DavisJess Davis Posts: 833Member
    edited 15 September, 2014
    He looks like he might have some Catahoula Leopard Dog in him. Look them up on the internet. They are a great dog, mellow like Aussies. Hah. What dogs have you been looking at? Catahoulas are a hardcore working breed with energy for miles. If you found some mellow ones, lucky you. It is far from the norm. E: Though, I wouldn't describe Aussies as mellow either. :?
  • Joyce AtkinsJoyce Atkins PortlandPosts: 653Member
    edited 24 September, 2014
    I work with a deaf dog group and we have had a few Aussie/Catahoula mixes come in to our group for adoption and a couple have looked like Blu. My Aussie, Willow is a pure bred Aussie that is deaf, very smart. Yes she has lots of energy but we have trained her well and she does agility with me as I use hand signals with her. She loves to please and is mellow because she has a job that she loves and she gets lots of walks. Patience is the key. Also the Deaf Dog Group I work with trains the dogs before they are adopted out and if there are any issues for the families we will help them so that they keep these very special dogs. Enjoy your dog and work with it.