looking for breed ideas

Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamPosts: 3,542Member
edited 23 July, 2015 in Choosing the Right Dog
So I finally might be getting a pup in the not so distant future. I've had a list of breeds that I've wanted for years. Problem is the BF doesn't like any of the breeds on my wish list, and it has caused some heated scruffs from time to time. I am very partial to long haired dogs, but BF doesn't want long hair because he thinks they shed too much. He also doesn't want a dog that barks all the time. BF wants a short haired dog, I don't like short hair. Can anybody help me come up with breeds that we'd both be happy with? The breeds on my list are Pomeranian, papillon, maltese, chow chow, Tibetan mastiff, husky, great Pyrenees, and I'd also love to rescue a long haired Rottweiler. Jasper's mom suggested a collie to me the other day which I thought would be a good breed to have and something BF could work with, but his complaint is that they're too big and shed too much. I'm honestly at the point where when it comes time to get a pup, I'll just get all the breeds I want without telling him and then he can't do anything about it.

Comments

• louise nichollouise nichol Posts: 74,667Member
    edited 6 November, 2014
    A miniature Poodle maybe? You get to have the best of both worlds regarding coat. Keeping it short to please your BF, but they still look hairy enough to please your desire for a longer coat. I don't know.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamPosts: 3,542Member
    edited 6 November, 2014
    BF hates poodles and they're not really for me either. For those of you who remember, when I first joined dogster, I really wanted a Pomeranian sooo badly. Now I'm at the point in my life where I can finally have my dream breed, but airhead won't let me. He thinks I'm gonna be one of those people who will take care of the pup for the first 2 weeks and then he'll end up doing all the work. The other night I nearly broke down and said fine, no dog. I've told BF's friends at work that as soon as we get our own place I'm getting a Pomeranian without telling him, and then he can't make me get rid of it. I'm not that mean, but the temptation gets greater and greater each day that passes.:-$:n: BF had a lab/chowX who went to the bridge in 2009, and she was his baby. He adopted her in 1996 while he was doing community service at an animal rescue. Charlene was with him through everything, and I know he'd have another lab/chow in a heartbeat. Problem with that is I think both breeds are too much dog with him, and he's not really in proper physical condition to exercise them the way they need it.
  • RayneRayne DoulanPosts: 1,883Member
    edited 6 November, 2014
    Try a soft coated wheaten terrier. Fluffy but has a single coat. Not as large a dog as you're looking for, but is a terrier so will keep you busy. ;)
  • Becky OelschlagerBecky Oelschlager Posts: 1Member
    edited 7 November, 2014
    I say get whatever breed of dog YOU want. It sounds like you will be doing the majority of the caring of your new dog. Your bf seems to be very negative and unsupportive of your decisions. Making excuses that he doesn't like this breed or that breed then thinks you will lose interest in the dog. It may be that he is afraid you will pay more attention to the dog and lose interest him. If your bf can't live with your choice than maybe he needs to move on. If you go along with what he wants, you will just regret it especially if this is your dream dog. You can always get 2 dogs to compromise. That would be the best of both worlds. Or go to your local Humane Society together. You can both feel good about rescuing a puppy. Good Luck!
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 November, 2014
    I think in some cases, short haired dogs shed almost as much as long haired. If you keep up on the brushing and the bathing, the hair is very manageable. Koby gets a bath about every two weeks. That keeps his hair under control. I think you should get whatever you think you could manage. :o)
    edited 7 November, 2014
    Natasha, the BF and I were watching it's me or the dog last week and there was a wheaton terrier. BF thought it was a poodle until Victoria Stillwell said wheaton terrier. I'm not sure whether BF would go for that, but it's certainly a thought . :-k Hercules, the thing is, BF is the one who's gonna be paying for the dog and all its expenses since I'm in school and don't have a job right now. I most likely won't have a job till I graduate. Even though I'm the one who's gonna do the majority of the care, BF is the one who will be paying for everything. Funny you should mention getting a puppy at a shelter. BF and I were just talking about that last night. My only concern is that as a first time dog mommy, I might not be equipped to caring for a shelter/rescue pup the way they need to be cared for. I think you also have a point that he's probably afraid that I'll pay more attention to the dog than him. BF was actually in a very unhappy marriage when he had Charlene. He loved that dog more than his ex wife. Charlene was with him through everything, and when liver cancer took her in 2009, BF's world fell apart, and he hasn't had a dog since. Sometimes I think he doesn't really want a dog because he would always compare it to Charlene. :(( Koby, that's actually a good point about short haired dogs shedding. I know labs can be heavy shedders. =P
    edited 8 November, 2014
    ETA, I meant to say I think BF just wants another Charlene.
  • Nicole KoleszarNicole Koleszar Posts: 2,761Member
    edited 8 November, 2014
    Keeshond? Not low shedding, but smaller and more amiable than the Chow. Greyhound? They're a bit on the larger side and not long haired but they are single coated so they might shed a bit less than some other breeds and they tend to be pretty easy going and seem to be a good for first a lot of time doggie parents.
    edited 8 November, 2014
    I'm not really into greyhounds. I forgot to mention that mobility is an issue for the BF. He broke his leg in 2012 and he still has problems with it to this day, so I think we're gonna need a dog that won't require too much strenuous activity. =)
    edited 8 November, 2014
    Greyhounds really don't require much strenuous activity. They don't call them 60MPH couch potatoes for nothing!
    edited 8 November, 2014
    Yeah but don't they like to run a lot?
    edited 8 November, 2014
    They are sprinters, which typically means they go fast but not for long distances and not for long periods of time. But most are fine with a brisk daily walk.
    edited 9 November, 2014
    Greyhounds are uber lazy, Yoshi! Actually, if you get the right sighthound mix, most are lazy. For example last week i was very unwell and was bed bound. Ty stayed with me pretty much every minute of the day. He must have slept at least 20+ hours of the day, only getting up for a quick pee break/dinner etc. They are such good 'first time' dogs IMO as they're very low maintenance and generally very good house dogs.
    edited 9 November, 2014
    If greyhounds had long hair, then maybe I'd consider. =) On second thought, what are afghan hounds like? Do they have long hair?
    edited 9 November, 2014
    Afghans do have long hair. They're single coated, so you won't have the same issues you would with a double coated dog shedding. However, their fur is similar to human hair and tangles and mats easily, so they need regular grooming. They are more active than a Greyhound, so require more exercise than a Greyhound, but don't mind some down time. They're also known as clowns, so they will get into mischief if they're bored. They're also known to be aloof and very independent, so training them could be a challenge.
    edited 10 November, 2014
    Does anybody know what a silken windhound is? Do those have long hair? I am praying that the BF gets his car fixed this week. We might be going to visit a papillon breeder to see some papillons. Praying that the BF will be open to a pap. |bb|
    edited 10 November, 2014
    A Silken Windhound does have long hair, but not so long as to obscure their outline, so about short-medium in length. I don't know much about the breed, I think they were bred down from Borzoi, but not positive. Good luck looking at Papillons!:-h
    edited 10 November, 2014
    Paps are ENERGETIC! I've heard quite a few people say they are like mini Border Collies energy wise and that some Paps can run circles around Border Collies. lol
    edited 10 November, 2014
    What are silky terriers like? IDK, just throwing around ideas.:-k
    edited 10 November, 2014
    I don't know about Silky Terriers, but what about a Long Haired Chihuahua? Chihuahuas can be energetic but they don't need a ton of exercise, they are small, and they are very into "their" people and they are very affectionate, and they are great little dogs. I'm not 100% sure if they are single coated or double coated or not though.
    edited 11 November, 2014
    Chis are probably my least favourite dogs, but I admit the long haired ones are sweet. Funny you mentioned them because I've been thinking about them quite a bit lately. It does seem like the long haired chis have a better temperament than the short haired chis. :) Like I mentioned in a previous post, I feel like the BF makes all these excuses and complains about every breed I suggest because he wants another Charlene.
  • Reagan thrashReagan thrash Posts: 476Member
    edited 11 November, 2014
    Shih Zhu have long hair but don't shed.
    edited 12 November, 2014
    Yeah, and neither do maltese, but I think BF's complaint will be that they require too much grooming and are too high maintenance. :( Sometimes I feel like he's gonna object to any breed that I suggest if it's not another Charlene. I wish they'd have told me that men were harder to train than dogs. :n:
    edited 12 November, 2014
    I met some Australian Silky Terriers about a year ago at a dog show. They're similar to Yorkies and I'd guess that if your BF is objecting to the other longer haired breeds you've suggested he'd object to a Silky Terrier too. I think you need to sit down with your BF and have a proper long chat about this decision. It's not really ideal if he's not on board with the idea of having a dog, and if you go ahead anyway he could end up resenting the dog. If he does want a dog but just doesn't know which one then a good idea is to start a list of all the things you DON'T want in a dog first and work your way backwards.
    edited 12 November, 2014
    I agree with Tyler's suggestion. Your BF could have another reason he is isn't fully on board with getting a dog that he hasn't mentioned yet. But there are loads of people who get a dog and lose that dog then swear off dogs forever because of the heartbreak it caused after losing them. Or your BF just could not be interested in getting a puppy or a dog right now because let's face it, dogs and puppies are a ton work and they can be very expensive to keep, and he may not feel ready or prepared for all that work or the costs that go into having a dog or a puppy right now. Having a heart to heart could get you both on the same page, so to speak, and making a list of what you both don't want in a dog and working backwards is a great way to do that.
    edited 12 November, 2014
    Sometimes it's hard to tell whether the BF truly wants a dog. A lot of times he acts like he does, but sometimes I wonder if he only wants one because it would make me happy. At this point it doesn't look like he's gonna be moving into an apartment anytime soon. Business is terrible where BF is working. I'm friends with one of the girls that used to work there, and she's surprised they haven't already gone out of business. Therefore, BF is probably gonna be stuck in that motel for a while longer than he'd planned, so the dog probably will be a pretty long time coming. :( Charlene's death in 2009 really ripped his heart out. She was with the BF through some of his roughest times including a very unhappy marriage. He loved that dog more than his ex wife. The BF had actually known Charlene for a couple years before adopting her. He met her while doing community service at an animal rescue. Charlene would always come to the front of her kennel to play with BF and they developed a very strong bond. When he went back to the rescue the second time just to see the animals, she was still there. Charlene pretty much adopted Chris, and he took her home. They were inseparable for the next 10 years. Chris has never had any kids, so Charlene was his baby. The night she passed away was horrible. Chris tried to get her into the E-vet, but they wouldn't look at her because Chris couldn't pay them upfront. While Chris was arguing with them on the phone, Charlene died in his arms. Chris slept on the floor with her that night, and it wasn't till the next morning when he got her into the vet that he found out she had liver cancer. Chris loved that dog so much that if he'd known she'd had liver cancer while she was still alive and that a liver transplant would save her, he would've done it. For several weeks after Charlene crossed the bridge, Chris broke down if he saw a dog that looked like her. He hasn't gotten another dog since, but he's always said he'd have another Charlene in a heartbeat.
  • jesse phoenixjesse phoenix Posts: 9Member
    edited 8 January, 2015
    Paps are ENERGETIC! I've heard quite a few people say they are like mini Border Collies energy wise and that some Paps can run circles around Border Collies.
  • Heathyr GillHeathyr Gill Posts: 915Member
    edited 8 January, 2015
    Go to a foster based rescue? That way you know what you are getting and you don't have to decide on a breed.
    edited 9 January, 2015
    I guess you guys missed my updated thread that I made shortly after this one. Chris and I finally compromised on a German Shepherd. However, right when we decided on the breed, he lost his job quite suddenly and has been out of work since November. These last couple months has been very tough. Chris has a job interview today, so things are finally starting to look up. :) The dog probably won't happen for quite a while, but I'll let you know when the time comes. :)
  • Eloise SenyanEloise Senyan Mount OlivePosts: 43,425Member ✭✭
    edited 24 January, 2015
    Personally, I would get a dog and dump the BF -- but that's me. I never had a GSD but from what I hear they shed like crazy! A group of dogs that shed less are your wire-haired breeds and they range in size from small Carin Terriers to the Airedale Terrier. You still need to brush them, as with any dog, to keep their skin healthy. Our local shelter has dogs that are dumped (pedigreed dogs, too) so we have no background on them, but ... on a fairly regular basis dogs are surrendered that have senior owners who have died or gone to a nursing home and/or are no longer capable of caring for their dog. Most of these dogs have super personalities, are housebroken and have excellent manners. And, like your BF, their heart is broken from loosing the one they loved. People come to the shelter with an idea of the type of dog they want, but I would say 50% of the time, when they go past the kennels they come to the one dog that is nothing like what they had in mind. Their eyes meet and their hearts become one and two healing hearts go home together. :c9 One last thought: Chris will never find another Charlene. Charlene is waiting for him at the Bridge and he needs to hold to the thought that she is watching over him until the time comes that they will be reunited at the Bridge. Until then, he must NOT compare other dogs to Charlene. Each dog is their own. In comparing them to Charlene he will always be disappointed and short-changing the new dog before him. Just like people -- judge them for themselves. Every dog will give you their heart and soul but you have to unlock your heart to let them in. :B