Two 9 year olds and one 1 year old...should I switch them to raw feeding?

Kelly LawKelly Law BuffaloPosts: 10,563Member
edited 18 December, 2014 in Raw Food Diet
Considering what I just found out about Pedigree...I'm kind of afraid to feed them ANY brand of dog food, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamPosts: 3,542Member
    edited 8 January, 2015
    If you'd asked me 6 months ago I would've said sure, but I recently became good friends with a vet tech, and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't recommend it due to all kinds of poisoning such as salmonella. I personally am not a food expert, but hopefully some others may pop in and help. :)
  • Aleasha CasarettoAleasha Casaretto ColleyvillePosts: 512Member
    edited 7 January, 2015
    Switch to a better quality dog food. You should be more afraid to feed your dog raw meat than feeding him a quality brand of dog food. I’ve fed my dogs Hill’s Science Diet for the last 16-years and I wouldn’t feed anything else.
  • Christine VChristine V New EnglandPosts: 7,242Member
    edited 15 December, 2014
    Ugh. Seriously, people. It's right at the top of the page: "This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!" If you don't like it, GTFO. As to the OP... The question is so vague there's really no way to answer. There's no reason NOT to go raw, if you want to. Certainly switch off Pedigree either way. There are a plethora of other foods on the market, including canned, and freeze dried. There are premade raw diets if you don't want to DIY, although you will pay more for them. There is also home cooking if neither of those appeals to you. Salmonella is not as rampant as some people would have you believe. Even when it is present, as carnivores, dogs are built to handle it. They have highly acidic stomachs and very short digestive tracts. I've been feeding raw for over 8 years and actively involved in the raw feeding community during that time. I don't know a single dog who has become sick from a raw diet. The two dogs I know who have contacted salmonella were both kibble fed dogs. One ate from a rotting deer carcass, the other ate a package of ground beef that fell out of a grocery bag and spent 36 hours in the car in July.
  • Kathy YataKathy Yata Posts: 10,342Member
    edited 18 December, 2014
    Max stopped tolerating raw when he was 13 years old so I started cooking for him. Possibly your older dogs would do the same. Cooking is a lot of work and also worth it. I actually fed him the same way I did on raw with the addition of some grain as he did better with rice than pureed veggies. Same chicken, beef, pork, organs! I even cooked the chicken bones slowly so they could be pureed in the food processor so he got real bone! I hope I never have to feed my dog commercial food again. Fresh food is much better so long as you are able to do it right. Ginger is currently thriving on it same as Max did for 5 years. Go for it! Read and plan and virtual shop until you are sure you understand how it is done first.