Worms

Kelly LawKelly Law BuffaloPosts: 10,563Member
edited 18 February, 2015 in Dog Health
Candi had the runs this past Thursday. It had a little bit of blood in it. Took her to the vet and they tested a stool sample. They put her on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal prescription diet. She gets 1/4 cup about four times a day. They just called and said that she is positive for whip worms (?) and hook worms. First of all, is there such a thing as whip worms or did I mistake that for round worms? Second of all, my partner will be picking up her medicine this evening, since I don't drive. I could walk there but with temps -25 below zero...that's not an option. So while Candi IS being treated for this...is this something to freak out about? Out of all of our pets, she is the only one that has/had worms. Thanks.

Comments

• Reagan thrashReagan thrash Posts: 476Member
    edited 16 February, 2015
    Whip worms are and intestinal parasite. If u want to prevent her from having whip worms again u can use a heart worm prevention that prevents whip worms as well. Sentinel and trifexis are the 2 that get whip worms as well. The blood on the stool can be caused by the whip worms.
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 February, 2015
    I would make sure you clean up really well after her. I could be wrong, but the hook worms are more serious, even though all worms are bad. She can reinfect herself at a later date. With proper treatment, you should have nothing to worry about. Good Luck!
  • Reagan thrashReagan thrash Posts: 476Member
    edited 17 February, 2015
    Hook worms are in the small intestine and whip worms are in the large intestine. Whip worms are almost impossible to kill in the environment so you'll have to use a heartworm prevention with a preventative for whip worms(trifexis or sentinel) to protect your dog from having them.
  • Kelly LawKelly Law BuffaloPosts: 10,563Member
    edited 17 February, 2015
    The vet put her on Panacur Granules...the 1 and 4 gm. She sets three doses...one yesterday, one today and one tomorrow. Then she gets two more doses...one a month for two months. Then they are going to retest her. If it comes back negative, she will be on Sentinel. Her vet said that they see this alot, with rescues.
  • Aleasha CasarettoAleasha Casaretto ColleyvillePosts: 512Member
    edited 18 February, 2015
    Make sure to leave a bowl by her bed so she can drink as much water as she wants to stay hydrated. Bloody diarrhea can often be caused by tumors. It can also be caused by hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. For a dog with gastrointestinal problems, Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Gastrointestinal Low Fat LF Dry Dog Food is too high in protein, too low in fat and too high in fiber. For her body weight, I would recommend feeding at least 2 2/3 cups of food per day. Whipworms are usually found in dogs that are kept in dirty kennels. I’m glad you got her fecal tested. Whipworms are very real. You will need to bleach the ground wherever she has defecated in order to kill the whipworms, larvae and eggs. Have your veterinarian deworm your dog. I recommend using a worming medication containing fenbendazole. You can purchase it from your vet and you will simply stick it in the back of your dog’s throat. Hold her mouth closed for ten seconds and she should swallow it. You can also get the medication in powder form and mix it with canned dog food. Jasper’s Mom Licensed Veterinary Technician