Chow Chows

Erin HErin H Posts: 2Member
edited 30 May, 2015 in Choosing the Right Dog
I can't get a dog right now, but I'm planning a few years ahead just because. I've really fallen in love with Chows. I think they're gorgeous and they seem to really suit my personality and lifestyle. I've also considered some other primitive spitz types, mainly Shibas since I might find a smaller dog is a safer option if I have to move frequently (since many "pet-friendly" apartments have a weight limit around 35 lbs) and because I live relatively close to a very good breeder. Anyways, back to Chows; I think adopting a dog from a rescue is ideal, but some can be rather selective in the sense that they don't want young people, renters, or people with full-time jobs to apply. Plus, I just want a back up plan in case I don't find a dog that works out for me in the shelters. I've been trying to find breeders in the PA-NJ-NY area, I could also go further down to Maryland or Virginia potentially. I've looked at Domino Chows, but I haven't found much in the way of testimonials. Of course I've looked at the parent club's website, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while and I like seeing breeders with a website or Facebook that makes them a bit easier to reach out to. Could anyone who has a Chow from a breeder or who knows of any good breeders help me out?

Comments

• Heathyr GillHeathyr Gill Posts: 915Member
    edited 29 May, 2015
    I do not like the look of Domino Chows. They have a lot of dogs and it seems like they keep them in kennels rather than inside. Also, after searching the OFFA database, I did not see any genetic tests done on their dogs. I wouldn't count out rescues. Some are flexible with you and understand that not everyone can be a stay at home dog parent. As a foster home for dogs myself, I always tell the adoption team what dogs are okay by themselves and what dogs aren't. The Chow Chow parent club website may look outdated, but it has all the information you need to find a responsible breeder, including a page in which you can look up test results yourself. Do not be fooled by websites and Facebook. Many horrible breeders have these and their dogs live crappy lives. A lot of amazing breeders do not have a website or Facebook and the only way to find them is to ask other Chow Chow breeders.
  • Erin HErin H Posts: 2Member
    edited 29 May, 2015
    Thanks! I thought Domino seemed iffy but they were on the club's website so I wasn't sure.
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2015
    I agree with the rescue option. I had a Chow, years ago. They are a one person dog and extremely protective. I used to have to make money pick ups with the company I worked with at the time and I took her with me. She saved my butt a few times. A rescue will already know something about the dog before you get it, personality, issues. Unless you find a good breeder that focuses on temperament and health, then it's a crap shoot on what you will get. They are not a dog that can be roughed up or "dominated". Training classes would be a good idea. With that said, good luck with your search and your new pup when you get it. :)