I'll be getting a dog within the next few years, but I'd like to see which breed of dog would fit me the most and to see if there are any good breeders around my area as well. The breeds I'm interested in are: English Cocker Spaniel, English Springer Spaniel and Welsh Springer Spaniel.
I've spoken to breeders regarding all 3 breeds and they say that my lifestyle would be a good fit for them. However, I do have some questions for those who own/have owned these breeds:
- How easy are they to crate train? / How easy are they to potty train? / How easy are they to train in general? (Esp. w/ recall)
- What is the average going price for these dogs? I'm not going to be cheap, but I want to make sure I'm not paying a too low of an amount as that can hint towards BYB, no health tests (which I'll ask about), etc.
- Do any of these breeds show any separation anxiety?
- What is the main problem you face with these breeds?
- How often do you go to get their coat trimmed?
- What's the most common health problems with these breeds? (I'm guessing ear infections, but idk)
For the ECS, I'm especially interested in either the Blue Roan and Liver Coat, would this bump up the price?
And finally, I've done readings on the 'Club' sites of these breeds, but also want to get opinions on what are some good Midwest breeders for these dogs?
Thank you so much for the help!