Dog breeds good with cats and good for older dogs

Jordan DuncanJordan Duncan ClaremontPosts: 1,008Member
edited 26 February, 2016 in Choosing the Right Dog
Hello all, While I'm dealing with Jake's pending parting I need to think of Sweet Caroline and Jaxs future. Caroline is deeply bonded to Jake. Just today when they took him in the back for an ultrasound she was uncontrollable in distress. I'm afraid that once he passes either naturally or via euthanasia she'll die of depression. She's already old as it is and I'm not sure how she'll do without a companion. Problem is now unlike when I had acquired Jake and later Caroline I have a 10 month old kitten named Jaxs Teller who thinks he's a dog having been raised by Sweet Caroline for the last year. He and Jake never got along as Jake always tries/tried to eat him. So for next time I'm looking for breeds of dog that are more cat friendly. I'm aware each dog is an individual as I was surprised Caroline took to raising him vs eating him. I'm considering a miniature poodle or something along those lines but I'm open to any ideas. I don't plan on getting another dog any time soon unless I see it may help sweet Caroline. Thank you, Jake's mom

Comments

• Eloise SenyanEloise Senyan Mount OlivePosts: 43,425Member ✭✭
    edited 26 July, 2015
    Could you narrow it down a bit more? Large or small dog? Pup or adult?
  • Jordan DuncanJordan Duncan ClaremontPosts: 1,008Member
    edited 27 July, 2015
    Anything but another beagle. I don't think another male beagle will do me any good once Jake is gone. It will be too painful. Plus I don't think beagles and cats mix very well. I've always adopted both of my dogs and my cat was a random find one day. So any breed really but sincevim usually an apartment dweller small dogs
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamPosts: 3,542Member
    edited 27 July, 2015
    What about a Pomeranian? They wouldn't be much bigger than Jax. :-k I'm thinking that the best way to go about this is maybe check your local rescue groups and see what dogs they have available for adoption. Perhaps you could have them do a meet and greet at your house so that both Sweetie and Jax are there and you can see if they all get along. :-k
    edited 27 July, 2015
    Not a big fan of poms. All the ones I've known had bad breath and were yippy. I'm leaning towards a poodle or something like that. I don't think a pound rescue will work this time because of Jaxs. Can't risk him getting mauled by a dog. So I'll probably go the proper breed related rescue way this time or something like Best Friends a society. That's why I'm looking for breed suggestions.
    edited 26 February, 2016
    Not a big fan of poms. All the ones I've known had bad breath and were yippy. I'm leaning towards a poodle or something like that. I don't think a pound rescue will work this time because of Jaxs. Can't risk him getting mauled by a dog. So I'll probably go the proper breed related rescue way this time or something like Best Friends a society. That's why I'm looking for breed suggestions.
    edited 26 February, 2016
  • Heathyr GillHeathyr Gill Posts: 915Member
    edited 27 July, 2015
    Adopt a Springer. Seriously a lot of springers are good with cats. I have only had one foster who would kill a cat... the rest love cats.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamPosts: 3,542Member
    edited 28 July, 2015
    A springer sounds great, but I'm not sure whether they'd be ideal for apartment living though, that's my only concern. What about a maltese?
  • Heathyr GillHeathyr Gill Posts: 915Member
    edited 29 July, 2015
    Yoshi- Springers can live in apartments as long as they get enough exercise. A show springer would be a great fit. Gentle and if raised with cats, they tend to be friends with them rather than enemies. Adopting a Springer from a family with cats in the home would be great. Whatever breed you end up choosing, try finding a foster home who has cats.
    edited 30 July, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. I was looking at dogs just today on petfinder and found myself saying "sigh not one of these dogs is Jake" and was totally disinterested. I know its wrong to say that they're not jake but they're not T.T. So that didn't go well. Jake appears to still have some life in in him so we're doing a touch and go. Based on his eliminations. >.< I think i will look for foster or adoption or breeders with cats in the home. I still don't know how to get past "oh its not Jake." I mean Mr. Beagle isn't gone yet but I find myself looking for him in other dogs in healthy dogs. Stupid cancer >.
  • Julie SaundersJulie Saunders Posts: 1,322Member
    edited 5 August, 2015
    Sorry to hear about Jake. I can tell you that from the couple I've fostered and the one I recently adopted (I'll get him online one of these days), poodles are generally really good with cats. The current one actually loves the cat much more than the cat loves him, which is their main source of conflict. He's also a bit of a puppy still (just under a year) so he tries to play too much. But not even a hint of aggression. Most poodles are fine with other pets. Especially minis and toys, which have less drive than standards. As for older dog compatibility, I think you just need to steer clear of puppies and look for an adult who's pretty laid-back and calm. And then make sure you do a meet-and-greet before you bring the new dog home. There's no rush on this...I hope you have lots of time left with Jake. |:|
  • Prashant KumarPrashant Kumar Posts: 6Member
    edited 15 September, 2015
    I am cat owner from years, few months back I decided to adopt a dog, but I wanted the one, which can go well with my cats. By taking suggestions from a pet expert, I adopted Bichon fries. He came out to be so friendly with my cats, that it seems like that he is also a cat. According to my experience, Bichon fries will be a great choice for you; it is a very social dog breed and will be a perfect companion for your cat and older dogs. It is also considered as one of the best breeds for a family and doesn’t bark that much. If you don’t like Bichon fries, other option are always there and I found this list quite appropriate and useful for you, have a look: 10 Dog Breeds That are Good With Cat