How do you teach your dog to sit?

John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaPosts: 1,016Member
My dog never sits on command. Is there a good method for teaching an adult dog to sit?

Best Answers

• Watch DogWatch Dog San FranciscoPosts: 197Member
    Accepted Answer
    A dog is like a human in that adult learning is not as fast. Why else would the expression "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" have come into being? That doesn't mean you can't teach an older dog new things, it just requires additional patience & more attentiveness on your part. One thing you have going for you is that you know your dog (unless the pup came into your life recently & you missed the growing years). This knowledge is invaluable. You know their favorite treat & the spots they love to be rubbed/petted. Use this knowledge to your advantage. Remember, the more love you put into the training process, the happier your dog will be to participate. As for punishment, throw that out the window. Dogs learn tricks for our benefit, not their own, so don't treat them as if they are a bad doggie when they don't "get it" right away. Lastly, be prepared to fail. Your pup may never get the whole "sit" thing, but guess what? Your pup will still love you & you should do the same!
  • Ellen DunneEllen Dunne San FranciscoPosts: 34Member
    Accepted Answer
    I've seen much success with this technique: have a treat in your hand and position yourself in front of your pooch. Start with your hand in front of his snout then raise your hand straight up as you say the command "sit!". The dog will raise his snout to follow the treat and it will send him naturally towards his seat.
  • Baxter_MacKenzieBaxter_MacKenzie Posts: 1,412Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Dingo! Wait for a time when there are few distractions to start your training. For "sit", take a highly valued treat - like shredded chicken or cheese, and hold it directly in front of your dog's nose. Slowly raise your hand with the treat, then go over his head (toward his tail) and he will automatically sit as he watches your hand with the treat. Do this several times, using the word "sit" the minute his bottom hits the floor, then reward and praise him. Continue several times a day, until you can say sit and he will, then reward and praise. If you see him sitting at other times, give him a treat and tell him "good sit". Try not to reward until he is actually sitting. We also have incorporated a hand signal and can use it or the word "sit" to get both dogs to sit. This can be helpful in a loud, distracting environment. Once "sit" is mastered, try "down" using the same technique, but hold the treat and lower it to the ground until the dog is laying down to get his reward!

Tracey, Fenway, Isabel and Angels Baxter, MacKenzie and Indigo

• Cathy HCathy H Posts: 8,423Member
    Accepted Answer
    Be aware that some dogs do not respond to the luring method initially, nor do they respond to the push-on-the-rump method. The intentions aren't always clear from the beginning, so dogs tend to get confused or frustrated and will simply stop listening. The more you work with your dog on clear, concise, and fun training, the better they will respond. Some of my foster dogs were really difficult to train initially. I used the clicker training method to capture the behavior. If your dog simply knows the command but doesn't respond as well as you'd like, I have three words: practice, practice, practice! Don't give up, don't become frustrated, keep sessions short and with as few distractions as possible. If your dog is around the 2-year mark, obstinance is known to be prevalent during that "teenage" time period. Just keep truckin'! And whatever you do, keep training light hearted and fun. Anything far from positive is great way to shut down a dog's mind. Fun training keeps minds open.
  • Kellie HoganKellie Hogan Posts: 10,257Member
    Accepted Answer
    We like the 'luring' technique! Also, if you have another dog or dog pal that knows the command sit, 'peer pressure' is powerful. Blackie just didnt get it, but I was able to teach Cashew. I got them together and when he saw Cashew 'sit' and receive a treat, he then did it too. I also had to teach Cashew 'up' with the assistance of Blackie. And then again, Cashew helped me teach Blackie 'down'. Dont forget..... give Dingo a good long walk first, he will be more likely worn out and ready to do as you say. Training is sometimes best done after exercise. Good Luck!
  • pop63 ouaf58pop63 ouaf58 francePosts: 7,228Member
    Accepted Answer
    i tried a very efficient method with pop , which only lasted one or two afternoons. and it still works! i bought a big piece oh cheese ( non caloric one, gruyere for example) and cut it into small cubes. when i gave him an order, i showed him gently how to do and when he got it, i gave him a piece of cheese and cuddles of course. when you want dingo to sit down, press gently on his haunch and when he's in the good position give him a treat. he'll remember this. after you'll only have to cuddle him, he'll be happy!